Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Unlikely but not impossible. The division is out of the question. If the Iron Pigs lose tonight, they will be tied for third in the wild card 5 behind the Iron Pigs. They have a four game home series with them next week, so it is possible to pass them if we stay hot, but Gwinett is still ahead of us, so they would have to get cold.
    Thanks for the info. Let's hope the Bats get hot at the right time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    There's always going to be a debate about Francisco. He's divisive. I actually like both of them, but Francisco has a bigger upside and he's the one running out of opportunities. For him, it's simply time. My ideal situation would be to platoon them from here on out. Of course, that would give Francisco most of the ABs, but Frazier could also play some LF and a little 1B. (That said, Cairo has in no way disqualified himself. It's just that this team needs to make some important decisions going forward.)
    I see your line of thinking and don't completely disagree with it. I just want the Reds to audition as many players as they can right now. I wish Mes was up getting the bulk of the starts at C to see if he is ready for the bigs by Opening Day. I understand that would hamper the Bats chances of making the playoffs, but it is in the best interest of Mesoraco and the Reds.

Also, Sappelt needs to continue starting every day in left and leading off. I don't care how bad his stats are now in this small sample size. I wish he would be a little more patient though.

Carolina (Joseph) lost in the ninth, 7-6.

Campbell homered again, #10 for the Mudcats and #19 on the season. We need a "like" button.

Carolina (Joseph) lost in the ninth, 7-6.
    Joseph will certainly fall a lot in our Redszone prospect ratings this off-season. Disappointing.

Why not give Frazier & Francisco or Frazier & Alonso a righty-lefty platoon at 3B for the rest of the year? Whichever one is not part of that platoon (Francisco or Alonso) should be in a platoon with Sappelt in LF. Heisey is a 4th OF, and a great one at that.

It is high time to figure out what they have with these guys. I want to see at least two of Frazier, Francisco, Sappelt and Alonso starting every day for the Reds from now until the end of the season.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm still on board with Campbell. He did commit his fifth error last night on a throw but he is getting some at bats and I would hope he is the starting 3B at Pensacola next year. Rhinehart was o'fer today but sits at .333. I want to see him starting for Pensacola as well next year. This was a really nice addition up by Walt.

Two games in a row Carolina loses in the ninth. This has been a pretty interesting team this year but the pitching has never been there. DJ walked three batters in 1.1 innings today. Carolina has been planted in last place pretty much out of the gate this year in Southern League standings as far as pitching goes. That continues as they are almost a full run per game more than the ninth place team with a team 5.11 ERA.

While the pitching stinks, Carolina has actually put together a pretty good and interesting lineup. A lot of the guys are veteran minor-leaguers the organization has picked up in the past year or so, but some of them seem to be players: Campbell, Rhinehart, Berry, maybe even Skelton. Mix those guys with Soto, Grandal, Puckett, Gregorius, Rojas and Rodriguez, and I'd venture to say that the Mudcats' lineup these days is more compelling than Louisville's. Obviously, the Bats have Mesoraco and Francisco going for them, and Phipps--who's not far removed from Carolina--but by and large, Carolina has become every bit as watchable, offensively.

While the pitching stinks, Carolina has actually put together a pretty good and interesting lineup. A lot of the guys are veteran minor-leaguers the organization has picked up in the past year or so, but some of them seem to be players: Campbell, Rhinehart, Berry, maybe even Skelton. Mix those guys with Soto, Grandal, Puckett, Gregorius, Rojas and Rodriguez, and I'd venture to say that the Mudcats' lineup these days is more compelling than Louisville's. Obviously, the Bats have Mesoraco and Francisco going for them, and Phipps--who's not far removed from Carolina--but by and large, Carolina has become every bit as watchable, offensively.

Totally agree mace. At the end of this three year affiliation I have to say that we have never really had a very good 'team,' per se. However, I look at the lineups in Louisville and Cincy and there are so many players that came through here that have moved up and made impacts at the next level. Phipps is the latest to impress, and boy how! Offensively this team is interesting. With any upgrade in pitching I believe Carolina could have made the playoffs this year. Hotchkiss and Fairel being gone didn't help either. The AA Reds club should be interesting next year.

Dayton leads 5-1 in the eighth while outhitting Great Lakes 15-2. Torreyes has three of those, and two each for Hamilton, Vidal, Duran and Barnhart. Josh Smith gave up the two hits in six innings, walking one and fanning eight.

After hitting .346 for the AZL Reds, Juan Perez is making his Billings debut tonight. He's 1-3 leading off and playing SS. Billings leads 6-2 in the fifth with Guillon pitching. He hasn't walked anybody.

Dayton leads 5-1 in the eighth while outhitting Great Lakes 15-2. Torreyes has three of those, and two each for Hamilton, Vidal, Duran and Barnhart. Josh Smith gave up the two hits in six innings, walking one and fanning eight.
    It's nice to see Duran in that list. I remember being impressed by his size at the first game I went to this year, but it seems like he has way too much trouble making contact.

After hitting .346 for the AZL Reds, Juan Perez is making his Billings debut tonight. He's 1-3 leading off and playing SS. Billings leads 6-2 in the fifth with Guillon pitching. He hasn't walked anybody.
    Can't wait to watch this game on Milb.tv at some point this weekend. It will be my first time getting a look at both guys. Excited to see Guillon. Tonight was one of his best games of the season, so I am hoping to see him flash some of that pure stuff.

It was an odd (but much better) line that Guillon finished with: 5 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR. Billings won 6-3 in spite of being outhit 11-7.

Sulbaran only lasted 1.2 innings. Bakersfield trails 8-2 after five.

Bakersfield ended up getting crushed 10-2 despite outhitting Visalia 10-9. Sulbaran went 1 2/3 giving up 7 runs, 6 of them being earned on 7 hits and 2 walks. Of the five outs he did record, two of them came via the strikeout. Shunick gave up the other three runs balooning his ERA to 2.14. Greene and Buchholz had two hits and every other starter but Wideman had one. Lohman's hit was a triple and Means' was a double.

Turn Off Ads?