Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is why I think Chris Welsh is awesome...

This is why I think Chris Welsh is awesome...

George Grande talking about Todd Coffey....

George: "He's worked hard to get his weight back down. At one time he was over 300 pounds."

Chris: "Well give me a county fair estimate of what he is right now."
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is why I think Chris Welsh is awesome...

I got used to them,to me they're the perfect pair.I guess it's like they say you can't get above your raising.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I've not heard a lot of Grande, at least consistantly, in many years (working at the station, running the games, and not having cable, etc....)

Good guy...but, man. He annoys me. I know Marty's "bitterness" gets to people, but sorry, I'll take his straight edge approach over George's approach anyday.

George does have a GREAT baseball voice though. Very soothing, and very conversational...

Since Chris is the topic here (ooops, sorry)....I like Chris. He does a good job
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-18-2011 at 12:13 AM.

I enjoy it when Chris and Thom are in the booth together because if you're listening for it, you can catch undertones of Chris's total lack of respect towards Thom's baseball knowledge. Listen for it the next time Thom pontificates about a player having a bad approach. It offends Chris on so many levels (primarily that Thom never played the game). There's only so many ways for Chris to disagree with some of the things Thom says without outright calling him an idiot. And I think Chris ran out of them two years ago.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of Chris. And while I neither liked nor disliked George, Chris became a much better color guy when George retired. His hint of dry snark resonates with my sense of humor, he understands the game more than he lets on, and he has a good voice for the job.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-18-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's painfully evident from listening to the broadcasts that Chris dislikes Thom. They've actually had a few pretty testy on-air exchanges in the past.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I'm so confused as to who's going to be doing a particular game every time I turn it on. Is there any other team in baseball that has so many announcers? It's silly.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

While I appreciate that Welsh may know a few things about pitching, his pontifications on hitting mechanics is misplaced. Oh, and wanting power hitters to lay bunts down all the time when the shift is on.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'm so confused as to who's going to be doing a particular game every time I turn it on. Is there any other team in baseball that has so many announcers? It's silly.
    They're using part-time workers so they don't have to give them benefits
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Welsh is very good, confirmed by the fact that this very demanding board has him in high esteem (how about a poll? Approval ratings are all the rage these days).

If he were a ballplayer we'd be worried about losing him to a bigger market team.
    Not sure how the free agent market for announcers works, but could that happen?
    Should the REDS offer arbitration?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Haunted by walks

I'll never forgive him for "home runs are rally killers" but I think he's underrated and one of the better analysts.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

He's gotten alot better the past few years personally I think it coincided with him reading RZ. I don't know with certainty he does but just listen to what he says, how he says it and when he says it, that is RZ speak my friend. Welsh, your welcome!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I like Welsh's sense of humor. I also miss Grande in a strange sort of way. Thom B. is alright; but sometimes his critical calling of the play is overdone.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Calling out critical play is much harder to swallow in seasons like this one, but no less true or obvious. "Most" of the things that Marty and Thom call out are pretty obvious to anyone who has any understanding of the game and watches on a consistent basis. As a player, it was always harder to hear the tough stuff when things were going bad, but to ignore it and gloss over it is worse than accepting the tough truth and trying to correct the mistakes going forward. There will always be mistakes and people who call them out. Baseball is an individual game within a team concept. When you mess up, it always stands out like a sore thumb. People notice. People comment. It's just the nature of the game.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I enjoy it when Chris and Thom are in the booth together because if you're listening for it, you can catch undertones of Chris's total lack of respect towards Thom's baseball knowledge. Listen for it the next time Thom pontificates about a player having a bad approach. It offends Chris on so many levels (primarily that Thom never played the game). There's only so many ways for Chris to disagree with some of the things Thom says without outright calling him an idiot. And I think Chris ran out of them two years ago.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of Chris. And while I neither liked nor disliked George, Chris became a much better color guy when George retired. His hint of dry snark resonates with my sense of humor, he understands the game more than he lets on, and he has a good voice for the job.
    This is EXACTLY my observation, as well. If I could sum Thom up, it would be that the tone of his voice is obnoxious and he has no feel for the nuance of baseball. (Every sentence he utters when a player messes up sounds to me like: "Why on earth did he do that when it's so obvious he should've done this?")

And you're right, you can just sense Welsh simmering. Welsh has really grown on me and I think he's pretty good for the most part. He has a strong fondness for saying "all about" though, which can be distracting. "For Joey Votto, it's ALL ABOUT attitude." "With Johnny Cueto, it's ALL ABOUT location."

I had never noticed it until my brother pointed it out to me; now, it's almost all I can hear. So now, I'm passing this gift on to all of you. You're welcome.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Always liked Welsh. He doesn't blow smoke. Grande is always blowing smoke which drives me nuts.

10 to 1 Welsh likes Thom better than George. When you're around a guy like George everyone plays "nice" and it's so boring. If George ran a meeting it'd last an hour and there'd be no decisions. The whole thing would be about process while with Welsh you'd get something done in 3 minutes.

Turn Off Ads?