Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brandon Phillips back batting first

Re: Brandon Phillips back batting first

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

This comparison suggests that over his career, Phillips best fit the profile of an average #7 hitter given his poor on base skills and low walk rate. Over 600 PAs (roughly his average number per year), he's been .5 WAR below an average major league #2 hitter (i.e. .5 WAR/season below an average #2 hitter).
    Are you able to break this into how these numbers reflect his performance as a 2 hitter in the past? I think Phillips has stated that he has adjusted his approach when hitting 4th to try to do different things. Are his numbers as a 2 hitter any better in terms of the fit for the typical 2 hitter?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Are you able to break this into how these numbers reflect his performance as a 2 hitter in the past? I think Phillips has stated that he has adjusted his approach when hitting 4th to try to do different things. Are his numbers as a 2 hitter any better in terms of the fit for the typical 2 hitter?
    He basically would suffer from a simialr problem... on-base deficiency....

Code:
    BA	OPB	SLG	OPS	wOBA	BABIP	K%	BB%	ISO
    0.279	0.322	0.427	0.749	0.338	0.296	11.9	4.8	0.148
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Although, the last 3 years have Phillips as a .332 wOBA
    Whether accurately reflecting his true talent or symmetrical luck, his wOBA has trended down to his career numbers over that span:

2009: wOBA=.337;
    2010: wOBA=.332;
    2011: wOBA=.324;
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He's nearly ideal for the No. 2-hole. Good contact rate, good speed. Gets on base a sufficient amount.
    If he can maintain a .350 OBP he works as a #2 hitter, but he has only done that in the two spot in about 1/3rd of a season, spread out over several years. Everywhere else in the line up, where his samples are quite a bit larger, his OBP dips into the .320's. If he is closer to his "everywhere in the line up" self, then no, he isn't ideal for the #2 spot because he is going to post a .320-.330 OBP and probably ground into plenty of double plays because he would rather swing at a pitch 4 inches outside trying to make something happen than take it for a ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...1&mode=gameday
    • In four games from the leadoff spot through Saturday, Brandon Phillips is 10-for-18, his three singles Saturday coming on the heels of Friday's 3-for-5 performance that included four RBIs, including a three-run home run.

"When I was hitting fourth, my No. 1 goal was to drive guys in. I wasn't worried about my average or anything -- just RBIs," Phillips said. "I'm glad they're giving me a chance to get something going for the team."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

"When I was hitting fourth, my No. 1 goal was to drive guys in. I wasn't worried about my average or anything -- just RBIs," Phillips said. "I'm glad they're giving me a chance to get something going for the team."
    While that isn't the worst idea ever, it is not exactly an ideal one either. I honestly don't think players should change their approach at the plate no matter where they bat.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While that isn't the worst idea ever, it is not exactly an ideal one either. I honestly don't think players should change their approach at the plate no matter where they bat.
    Exactly, players make much too much about having different jobs in various lineup spots. Just get on base, the rest is gravy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?