Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yorkers: Help Where to stay when going to Citi Field

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

New Yorkers: Help Where to stay when going to Citi Field

I usually don't post in the Non-Sports Chatter Forum, but I figured this would be the most appropriate place for this thread.

So a couple buddies and I are going to Citi Field for the last two Reds' games of the year (September 27 & 28). It's getting about time to book a hotel room and I was wondering if any New Yorkers (or any one else who have attended a game at Citi Field) had advice on where to stay.

Also, does any one know of good restaurants in that area or fun bars around the stadium? All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: New Yorkers: Help Where to stay when going to Citi Field

Unfortunately, there isn't much going on near the stadium. It's not really walking-distance from anywhere that you might have fun at. Luckily for you, public transportation in NYC is great. Subway from midtown Manhattan (7 Train) will probably take about 25 minutes and cost about 3 bucks each way. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks (maybe 5 at most) I would recommend taking the Long Island Rail Road. Saves you some time, since there are less stops, and they allow beers on the train as well. Both train lines have a stop directly at the Stadium, so convenience won't be a problem.

What place to stay really comes down to how much you want to spend. Staying at a hotel in Manhattan could get pretty pricy, but at the same time staying at a hotel in Queens (where Citi Field is) is probably not what you are looking for. I'd shop around, and see what you think is best for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that NJ might be worth your while if you don't mind taking a short train ride under the river to NY. Hoboken might be your best bet.

As far as bars and nightlife, there is really tons of stuff to do all around the city. I'm not too familiar with the area near the stadium, but it's really no big deal to take a train back into Manhattan and find a nice place to eat and drink.
    Last edited by bigredmechanism; 08-19-2011 at 12:00 AM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    but at the same time staying at a hotel in Queens (where Citi Field is) is probably not what you are looking for.
    Wait. Queens has hotels now? Who knew.
    Stick to your guns.

Unfortunately, there isn't much going on near the stadium. It's not really walking-distance from anywhere that you might have fun at. Luckily for you, public transportation in NYC is great. Subway from midtown Manhattan (7 Train) will probably take about 25 minutes and cost about 3 bucks each way. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks (maybe 5 at most) I would recommend taking the Long Island Rail Road. Saves you some time, since there are less stops, and they allow beers on the train as well. Both train lines have a stop directly at the Stadium, so convenience won't be a problem.

What place to stay really comes down to how much you want to spend. Staying at a hotel in Manhattan could get pretty pricy, but at the same time staying at a hotel in Queens (where Citi Field is) is probably not what you are looking for. I'd shop around, and see what you think is best for your needs and budget. Keep in mind that NJ might be worth your while if you don't mind taking a short train ride under the river to NY. Hoboken might be your best bet.

As far as bars and nightlife, there is really tons of stuff to do all around the city. I'm not too familiar with the area near the stadium, but it's really no big deal to take a train back into Manhattan and find a nice place to eat and drink.
    I mostly agree with this. I would not stay near the field as it's far out and not the best of neighborhoods after dark. There's not much else out there. The only thing I disagree with is the Hoboken suggestion. Hoboken is a trek from Citi Field. You're probably looking at 2 hours each way. I would advise against Jersey if you can.

There are also some really nice hotels in Queens off the 7 train at Queensboro Plaza that are probably a little cheaper than the hotels in Midtown, but just a few stops away. The 7 train goes right into Times Square as well.

There aren't a lot of great restaurants/bars around the stadium in my opinion. You're better off in the city. I can give you some food/bar restaurants in the city if you tell me what kind of food/bars you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I mostly agree with this. I would not stay near the field as it's far out and not the best of neighborhoods after dark. There's not much else out there. The only thing I disagree with is the Hoboken suggestion. Hoboken is a trek from Citi Field. You're probably looking at 2 hours each way. I would advise against Jersey if you can.

There are also some really nice hotels in Queens off the 7 train at Queensboro Plaza that are probably a little cheaper than the hotels in Midtown, but just a few stops away. The 7 train goes right into Times Square as well.

There aren't a lot of great restaurants/bars around the stadium in my opinion. You're better off in the city. I can give you some food/bar restaurants in the city if you tell me what kind of food/bars you're looking for.
    You live in NY so I'll defer to you, but I'm not so sure about the 2 hour trek from Hoboken to Citi. I live an hour from Hoboken, and I can make it to Citi Field in less than 2 hours if I catch my trains.

Guys, I appreciate the help. We were actually thinking of staying in the Holiday Inn at LaGuardia Airport since it is the closest to the stadium. You guys think this is an unsafe place to stay? It's me, another guy and a girl.

As for our budget, I think we are all comfortable paying up to $200/night for a room. We don't necessarily need amenities since we don't plan on spending a good deal of time while we are in NY in the hotel. We just want a clean, safe room. We would also prefer something close to Citi Field and we are going to Syracuse after, so something that is not a headache to drive to Syracuse after.

As for bars, we are a younger crowd, so we definitely want to find some fun places to go out at night. We are not necessarily into clubs, but rather just cool places to have a few beers.

If you have any suggestions for any good, reasonably-priced restaurants, I would appreciate it. We are into any good kinds of food (American, Italian, Mexican, etc.)

Again, thanks for your input already. You guys have me second guessing our initial thought to stay in the Holiday Inn LaGuardia (it's around $150/night).

Too bad you won't be there on a Sunday. There's a bar in the city called Phebe's tavern and Grill that's packed with Bengals fans on game day during the season.

Oh, and the subway is $2.25 but I think they have all-day cards you can buy for $7 if you were planning on jumping around.
    Last edited by yab1112; 08-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    Too bad you won't be there on a Sunday. There's a bar in the city called Phebe's tavern and Grill that's packed with Bengals fans on game day during the season.

Oh, and the subway is $2.25 but I think they have all-day cards you can buy for $7 if you were planning on jumping around.
    The day cards are still $7. I've always just slept in the sleeper in the Wal Mart parking lot near JFK, but if you're in a car, I would advise against that.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

You live in NY so I'll defer to you, but I'm not so sure about the 2 hour trek from Hoboken to Citi. I live an hour from Hoboken, and I can make it to Citi Field in less than 2 hours if I catch my trains.
    Keep in mind, you've gotta take the Path to 33rd Street, then take the N/Q to Times Square, then walk to the 7 Train. Hoboken to 33rd street is already 30 minutes, probably about 15 before you're on the 7 trains. Best case scenario is probably 75 minutes if you catch all the trains with no waits and hit express. Otherwise, I think it's over an hour and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Guys, I appreciate the help. We were actually thinking of staying in the Holiday Inn at LaGuardia Airport since it is the closest to the stadium. You guys think this is an unsafe place to stay? It's me, another guy and a girl.

As for our budget, I think we are all comfortable paying up to $200/night for a room. We don't necessarily need amenities since we don't plan on spending a good deal of time while we are in NY in the hotel. We just want a clean, safe room. We would also prefer something close to Citi Field and we are going to Syracuse after, so something that is not a headache to drive to Syracuse after.

As for bars, we are a younger crowd, so we definitely want to find some fun places to go out at night. We are not necessarily into clubs, but rather just cool places to have a few beers.

If you have any suggestions for any good, reasonably-priced restaurants, I would appreciate it. We are into any good kinds of food (American, Italian, Mexican, etc.)

Again, thanks for your input already. You guys have me second guessing our initial thought to stay in the Holiday Inn LaGuardia (it's around $150/night).
    It's not that staying at LGA is unsafe, you're just REALLY far out from the city and not close to the subway, only to busses. There is no train you can take from LGA to the stadium, which is what you want. It is closer to the stadium distance wise, but you'd have to take a bus, which I don't recommend. I would stay in Long Island City close to the 7 train if you want to be closer to the stadium, preferably near Queensboro Plaza. Probably 20 minutes on an express train to the stadium and only about 10-15 minutes away from Times Square. You should definitely be able to find something for $200ish a night there.

Keep in mind, you've gotta take the Path to 33rd Street, then take the N/Q to Times Square, then walk to the 7 Train. Hoboken to 33rd street is already 30 minutes, probably about 15 before you're on the 7 trains. Best case scenario is probably 75 minutes if you catch all the trains with no waits and hit express. Otherwise, I think it's over an hour and a half.
    Hmmm. I usually go PATH to 33rd, walk 1 block to 34th/Penn Station, then take the LIRR to Citi Field. with no delays it goes about 40-50 minutes.

Your way is definitely cheaper though, as LIRR is something like 8 bucks one way. I just can't stand all the stops on the 7, and coupled with having a beer on the train, the extra 5 bucks is worth it.

Hmmm. I usually go PATH to 33rd, walk 1 block to 34th/Penn Station, then take the LIRR to Citi Field. with no delays it goes about 40-50 minutes.

Your way is definitely cheaper though, as LIRR is something like 8 bucks one way. I just can't stand all the stops on the 7, and coupled with having a beer on the train, the extra 5 bucks is worth it.
    Ah! I forgot about the LIRR, good call. I just loathe the PATH. And when you're coming back from the stadium and it runs so infrequently, it's a pain. I know too well from when I used to live in Jersey City.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post

I actually will be in New York the Sunday before, but we have tickets to the Yankees Red Sox game that is currently scheduled for 1:05 pm. I do believe there is a strong chance this will become a Sunday night game on ESPN. If it does, I will try to get the people I am going with to head to Phebe's. Is it a pretty fun place?

It's not that staying at LGA is unsafe, you're just REALLY far out from the city and not close to the subway, only to busses. There is no train you can take from LGA to the stadium, which is what you want. It is closer to the stadium distance wise, but you'd have to take a bus, which I don't recommend. I would stay in Long Island City close to the 7 train if you want to be closer to the stadium, preferably near Queensboro Plaza. Probably 20 minutes on an express train to the stadium and only about 10-15 minutes away from Times Square. You should definitely be able to find something for $200ish a night there.
    Thanks for the additional help. On the Holiday Inn LaGuardia's site, it says they are close to the seven train. Looking at the Subway map, it looks close to the 111 St stop. It does look like it is on the other side of the Grand Central Parkway from Citi Field though. Can we not walk across this? I will look into hotels close to Queensboro Plaza now. Thanks.

Comfort Inn looks close.

Turn Off Ads?