Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yorkers: Help Where to stay when going to Citi Field

Re: New Yorkers: Help Where to stay when going to Citi Field

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Thanks for the additional help. On the Holiday Inn LaGuardia's site, it says they are close to the seven train. Looking at the Subway map, it looks close to the 111 St stop. It does look like it is on the other side of the Grand Central Parkway from Citi Field though. Can we not walk across this? I will look into hotels close to Queensboro Plaza now. Thanks.
    I didn't realize you could walk it from there, which I think you could. But again, just bear in mind, you're not going to be close to any cool restaurants/bars after the game is over. If you stay near Queensboro Plaza, you'll still be relatively close to the city. It will also be easier for you on Sunday to get to Yankee Stadium. Just take the 7 train right into Grand Central and hop on the 4 train.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I usually don't post in the Non-Sports Chatter Forum, but I figured this would be the most appropriate place for this thread.

So a couple buddies and I are going to Citi Field for the last two Reds' games of the year (September 27 & 28). It's getting about time to book a hotel room and I was wondering if any New Yorkers (or any one else who have attended a game at Citi Field) had advice on where to stay.

Also, does any one know of good restaurants in that area or fun bars around the stadium? All advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Don't stay in Queens. Stay in Manhattan or, yes, Hoboken.

LIRR is much better than the 7. And convenient if you do not stay in Queens.

Can provide restaurant recommendations dependent upon where you decide to stay.

I actually will be in New York the Sunday before, but we have tickets to the Yankees Red Sox game that is currently scheduled for 1:05 pm. I do believe there is a strong chance this will become a Sunday night game on ESPN. If it does, I will try to get the people I am going with to head to Phebe's. Is it a pretty fun place?
    Yea, the whole place is wearing orange and black, very into the game, and that includes the staff. I never ordered any of the food there, so I can't speak to that, but I always had a good time.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would want to see the Reds and the Mets in late September. Sounds pretty brutal. Plus, if the Madoff litigation has been decided by then, Wilpon may be forced into bankrupty and will have to forfit those games.

Find a bedbug free place in Manhatten to stay. Ride the 7 out to Shea, I mean Citi Field. Come back to Manhatten to socialize.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

LIRR is much more expensive too in each direction. The 7 Train is totally fine if you catch it express, which you can from Queensboro Plaza.

Hoboken is far away and is still expensive. I don't recommend he stay near LGA/Flushing. But Long Island City in Queens is pretty awesome and not too expensive with more space while still being close to everything.

If he's not interested in Queens then he should in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    LIRR is much more expensive too in each direction. The 7 Train is totally fine if you catch it express, which you can from Queensboro Plaza.

Hoboken is far away and is still expensive. I don't recommend he stay near LGA/Flushing. But Long Island City in Queens is pretty awesome and not too expensive with more space while still being close to everything.

If he's not interested in Queens then he should in Midtown.
    It's like $10 RT more. Much nicer ride, more civilized.

Hoboken is obviously a little further away but I guess it depends on what else they want to do. Hobo has a cleaner and easier to naivgate bar/restaurant scene. Cheaper as well. But I do agree, midtown is a more logical choice, especially if the goal is to do some NYC stuff while in town.

You could stay at a Holliday Inn in my hometown of Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey. It's about 10 miles from midtown Manhattan.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You could stay at a Holliday Inn in my hometown of Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey. It's about 10 miles from midtown Manhattan.
    Ha...I've actually stayed at that Holiday Inn before...about 10 years ago. It's not close at all to Citifield and getting back there after a night game? Forget about it.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

We are actually going to a day game on Wednesday, September 28. Due in large part to suggestions on this board, I believe we are looking at staying in the Verve hotel in Long Island City? Any body have any reason why we shouldn't stay there? It's ranked as the best hotel in Long Island City on Trip Advisor. We were looking into the Ravel Hotel, but the poor reviews turned us away. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Again, I appreciate any input.

We are actually going to a day game on Wednesday, September 28. Due in large part to suggestions on this board, I believe we are looking at staying in the Verve hotel in Long Island City? Any body have any reason why we shouldn't stay there? It's ranked as the best hotel in Long Island City on Trip Advisor. We were looking into the Ravel Hotel, but the poor reviews turned us away. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Again, I appreciate any input.
    That part of LIC is not the safest but it is close to transport. You said earlier you are driving up to Syracuse so you will presumably have a car unless you a renting one later. One thing I would look up is how much parking is going to be at the locations you are considering.

Have you thought of pricelining it, have had a number of friends able to get a Times Square Hotel, 3 star, for less than $200 and you're much closer to the action after the bore than can be a Mets game at the end of the season. On the plus side Citi Field is much nicer than Yankee Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

Only if you're in Midtown West and you have to catch it from Penn Station. Anywhere on the east side and the 7 is much more convenient.

The Verve Hotel is an excellent choice. Have never stayed there before, but have been and it is awesome. I've never been to the Ravel. Despite what another poster said, it is a safe area (been there numerous times) and it is close to transportation. The only way the area becomes "unsafe" is if you go down past 21st street at night, which there would be no reason for you to do.

Long Island City will be convenient for Citi, Yankee Stadium and Times Square. It's close to everything. You can take the 7 right into Grand Central or the N/Q right into Times Square.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The Verve Hotel is an excellent choice. Have never stayed there before, but have been and it is awesome. I've never been to the Ravel. Despite what another poster said, it is a safe area (been there numerous times) and it is close to transportation. The only way the area becomes "unsafe" is if you go down past 21st street at night, which there would be no reason for you to do.

Long Island City will be convenient for Citi, Yankee Stadium and Times Square. It's close to everything. You can take the 7 right into Grand Central or the N/Q right into Times Square.
    Awesome, we have booked the Verve hotel for around $160 a night per room. Not a bad deal. Thanks everyone for their help in this thread. Feel free to contact me about Cincinnati-area advice if you are thinking about coming here.

Awesome, we have booked the Verve hotel for around $160 a night per room. Not a bad deal. Thanks everyone for their help in this thread. Feel free to contact me about Cincinnati-area advice if you are thinking about coming here.
    You'll be happy with it and you got a good deal. Let me know if you need any food or bar recommendations. Happy to help.

So we are flying out Sunday for the Yankees-Red Sox game. We are very excited to go to our first game at the new Yankee stadium. We are going to be driving in from LaGuardia and then leaving to go back to Allentown for the night. Does anyone know where the smartest place to park would be? We figured we could maybe park a few train stops away and save on parking, but we have no idea what the smartest place would be if we have to go to back to Allentown that night.

Also, what would be the most fun bar to go before/after the game near Yankee stadium?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?