Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips leading off, how does it help

Phillips leading off, how does it help

Does this help the team at all? The beat writers have been to be making a big deal of the fact Phillips told Dusty he would leadoff to help the team.

Phillips OBP .329
    Stubbs OBP .323

a .006 difference but Stubbs has 29 SB (with an 81% success rate) while Phillip as 7 SB with a (with an 47% success rate)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips leading off, how does it help

typical non mathematical move by the brain dead manager

This season is shot. This is the time to try different things. Does it make the team any better? We have to wait and see. I find it refreshing that a player offers to take on a different role to try to help the team.

who is a better contact hitter? I think Brandon puts the ball in play and strike outs less then Stubbs does, which means he has a better chance of getting on base.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    who is a better contact hitter? I think Brandon puts the ball in play and strike outs less then Stubbs does, which means he has a better chance of getting on base.
    If that were true how come Phillip's OBP is not significantly higher that Stubbs? I agree in theory, if a player strikes out less and therefore puts the ball in play more than another player, then his OBP should be higher. In this case it isn't, is Phillips just unlucky to some extent? He sure was last night, he hit the ball hard twice with nothing to show for either at bat.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This team needs a true leadoff hitter and a true cleanup hitter. They knew that going into the 2011 season and did nothing about it.

Janish will volunteer next to help the team and offer to bat cleanup.

Yes he had a .6% better chance to get on base. Phillips will get on base 3.6 more times than Stubbs over the course of a season. But Stubbs is more likely to get in scoring position because of stolen bases he is on pace for 38 while Phillips get caught for times than not when stealing.

And would you rather have a better contact hitter batting leadoff or down in the order when others are more likely to be on base where a ground out or fly out can more a runner over

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    If that were true how come Phillip's OBP is not significantly higher that Stubbs? I agree in theory, if a player strikes out less and therefore puts the ball in play more than another player, then his OBP should be higher. In this case it isn't, is Phillips just unlucky to some extent? He sure was last night, he hit the ball hard twice with nothing to show for either at bat.
    I wonder how much Stubbs' speed has helped here - beating out ground balls that would have been outs with a slower runner - perhaps the OBP numbers are reflecting this?

Does anyone know if that kind of stat is counted somewhere? I did some online searching but didn't come up with anything.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

The Reds don't have a good lead off candidate on the team the way it is constructed, but to answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    And would you rather have a better contact hitter batting leadoff or down in the order when others are more likely to be on base where a ground out or fly out can more a runner over
    I'm not going to go look up each games stats, but I have watched many games in which the #8 hitter would get on second and the pitcher moved him to 3rd base and Stubbs would K and Janish/Renteria would then end the inning without scoring.

Maybe with Phillips' contact that run scores.

How does it not help.....is more the question? This shoulda been done 2 months ago, and maybe the Reds would still be in some sorta race, with the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This season is shot. This is the time to try different things. Does it make the team any better? We have to wait and see. I find it refreshing that a player offers to take on a different role to try to help the team.
    That is how I see it too. At least he's willing to try something to see if it helps. If it doesn't oh well, not like we've been playing great baseball anyway.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This team needs a true leadoff hitter and a true cleanup hitter. They knew that going into the 2011 season and did nothing about it.

Janish will volunteer next to help the team and offer to bat cleanup.
    Why couldn't Votto be the cleanup hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Yes he had a .6% better chance to get on base. Phillips will get on base 3.6 more times than Stubbs over the course of a season. But Stubbs is more likely to get in scoring position because of stolen bases he is on pace for 38 while Phillips get caught for times than not when stealing.

How many times in a game does the No. 1 hitter leadoff?

Why couldn't Votto be the cleanup hitter?
    It just shifts the problem; it doesn't solve it. The problem is Votto gets pitched around if there isn't a strong hitter behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It just shifts the problem; it doesn't solve it. The problem is Votto gets pitched around if there isn't a strong hitter behind him.
    At some point that should be Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?