Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto and the Cy Young Award

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Johnny Cueto and the Cy Young Award

Johnny Cueto pitched eight shutout innings before giving up a lead-off home run to Ryan Zimmerman in the ninth. His eight innings of work was good enough for a 2-1 Cincinnati win over Washington. Cueto lowers his ERA to 1.89, which leads the National League. That game also gives him enough innings that he should stay in the NL lead in ERA as long as he stays on rotation. If his ERA stays this low through the end of the season, I wonder how much support he’ll get in the Cy Young voting? It would be difficult to deny the award to someone with an ERA under 2.00, even if he doesn’t pitch 200 innings.
    The above is from baseballmusings.com. At least David Pinto gets it. Not hearing much support for Cueto anywhere else. It seems to me that if a pitcher throws enough innings to qualify for the ERA title, that should be enough for the Cy Young Award as well.

Cueto by the numbers:

ERA - 1ST - 1.89 - 30% better than Ryan Vogelsong who is second.
    WHIP - 2ND - 1.01 - Trails only Cole Hamels
    OPSA - 1ST - .561 - Basically makes the rest of the league look like so many Paul Janishes.
    BAA - 1st - .201 - Batters nudging the Mendoza line against Johnny C.

He should get eight more starts and end up with 15ish wins with any offensive support. He should toss around 180 innings, half of them in GABP. If he keeps up at his current pace he will be the best pitcher in the NL in 2011. Unfortunately, he probably won't sniff the Cy Young Award. It will be interesting to see how many votes he garners.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Cueto and the Cy Young Award

anything can happen in them next 8 but imo if he keeps it up atleast a few ppl will notice. but will it be enough

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I was talking about this today after last night's performance. The guy has been lights out impressive. I think he's the most impressive pitcher in either league this year. Screw wins and losses. That can be attributed to how good your offense is. Cueto has been the best pitcher in mlb this season so far. I hope he finishes strong and gives them reason to think twice about him.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

He will be lucky to finish in the top 10, maybe 7th or 8th, but to many other choices with better seasons.

If he gets his ERA down to like 1.60 or something, I could see it happening. Longshot, but a a couple shut-outs would get him close.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    He will be lucky to finish in the top 10, maybe 7th or 8th, but to many other choices with better seasons.

If Roy Halladay didn't pitch again this season would he finish in the top 10?

He has had a great season and that's no joke. Too bad that the PHI rotation has already gotten the Cy Young in their clubhouse just waiting to figure out which name goes on it. The media has gotten almost as bad as picking high school homecoming queens - pure popularity contest. I always thought that stats were what showed the performance of great players. Cueto has all the numbers except wins and lack of offense is the reason for that. Other than the one bad outing on 8/6 @ the cubs (you will never see me capitalize that team) and the fact that he missed all of April he should at least deserve a podium finish. He has 1 no-decision (6-4 vs. LAD) and 2 losses (5/29 @ ATL & 7/4 @ STL) where he had absolutely no help from the other 20 players (don't count the other 4 starters) on the team.

johnnys been great, but hes "only" 2.4 war so far.

roy halladay is well over 6 war at this point in the season

cuetos fip and xfip are also not really cy young level, same with k's. His bapip and lob% are also both pretty out of whack.

but I agree, that for a national media that loves era he should be getting more consideration
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    He has had a great season and that's no joke. Too bad that the PHI rotation has already gotten the Cy Young in their clubhouse just waiting to figure out which name goes on it. The media has gotten almost as bad as picking high school homecoming queens - pure popularity contest. I always thought that stats were what showed the performance of great players. Cueto has all the numbers except wins and lack of offense is the reason for that. Other than the one bad outing on 8/6 @ the cubs (you will never see me capitalize that team) and the fact that he missed all of April he should at least deserve a podium finish. He has 1 no-decision (6-4 vs. LAD) and 2 losses (5/29 @ ATL & 7/4 @ STL) where he had absolutely no help from the other 20 players (don't count the other 4 starters) on the team.
    last years AL Cy Young winner doesnt agree with this post

He will be luck if he gets 2 votes

Low innings & strikes outs will do him in

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    He has had a great season and that's no joke. Too bad that the PHI rotation has already gotten the Cy Young in their clubhouse just waiting to figure out which name goes on it.
    Boy will they be shocked when it goes to a Dodger named Clayton Kershaw

throws 106. NBD.

Remember in 2006 when Harang had 2/3 of the Triple Crown and didn't finish in the top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Remember in 2006 when Harang had 2/3 of the Triple Crown and didn't finish in the top 10?
    i dont understand how he didnt get top 10. i could see maybe 4-5 pitchers who had a better year than him

Cueto can blame his team not putting runs on the baord when he pitches to get him more wins.. that will keep him from winning a Cy Young.. they will look at wins and team standings.. 4th place doesnt cut a Cy Young these days..

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    Cueto can blame his team not putting runs on the baord when he pitches to get him more wins.. that will keep him from winning a Cy Young.. they will look at wins and team standings.. 4th place doesnt cut a Cy Young these days..
    you forget about last year already?

Turn Off Ads?