"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Cubs fire Jim Hendry

They're still the Cubs.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Think a mass emailing campaign to Bill Bavasi is in order?
    Hope isn't a strategy

Cub fans need to show some patience. It's been a mere 103 years since the Cubs last world championship. This "what have you done lately" attitude is really unfair.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Cub fans need to show some patience. It's been a mere 103 years since the Cubs last world championship. This "what have you done lately" attitude is really unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Dear Cubs;
    ESPN has a young go-getter who would be a great addition as your new GM, and is a man with previous experience. Hire him.

P.S. You like leather, right?

I always enjoy being reminded, even when things are going poorly for the Reds, that at least we're not the Cubs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...6607449.column
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Bad news for Reds fans.
    Could be, but perhaps not in the way you imagined.

Fay just tweeted that he wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds add him as a special assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

Fay just tweeted that he wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds add him as a special assistant.
    If they add him to the bunch, and we look at the other guys who've been named special assistants to Jocketty, maybe we should be glad he hasn't made any moves.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Guy's lasted almost 10 years as the GM of a team in one of the biggest cities in the country, with one of the worst most front running fan bases in baseball.

I'd say he has done alright.

The fact that he was fired almost a month ago, yet kept it quiet, stayed on and did his job tells me more about the man than anything else.

So savaging him on the basis of a few of his awful LTC mistakes is patently unfair. Ted Lilly & Aramis Ramirez are proof he does occasionally know what he's doing.

And now, having defended Jim Hendry and the Cubs, I'm going to go take a shower.

Let the Brett Jackson era begin!

The same needs to happen with Dusty.

I think Hendry was good when it came to trades and improving the team. His problem was contracts. He overpaid dramatically and it caught up to him in the end. I don't think he's a bad guy to have around.

Btw, Leather pants did an ESPN Insider piece about the Cubs and said the team's #1 target should be Pat Gillick. I can't list the other 20 or so he mentioned because it's paid content.

If and when the Cubs ever get their act together, they would be formidable. Big city and huge fan base and they should be raking in the cash hand over fist. They really ought to be up there with the Yankees and Red Sox. Or at least with the White Sox.

When they were talking about Mark Cuban becoming their owner, I was truly afraid. If they ever get a truly serious owner/GM, they could really be something.

But.... I think there really is something to this goat curse. If it weren't for their bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. And they don't lack for pure stupidity and dumb moves.

But seeing that its happening to Cubs fans, I just laugh and laugh. Hope it continues for another 103 years.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

As others have intimated above, this wouldn't be such a bad thing. The guy has a lot of baseball knowledge at the pro and am level (former h.s. coach), and I'm told he's a class act. Not everyone who has value is a good fit at GM.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?