Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which players are due for a major breakout season in 2012 or 2013?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homer Bailey

9 36.00%
  • Edinson Volquez

1 4.00%
  • Jay Bruce

12 48.00%
  • Aroldis Chapman

9 36.00%
  • Chris Heisey

0 0%
  • Travis Wood

7 28.00%
  • Drew Stubbs

8 32.00%
  • Nick Masset

0 0%
  • Other

4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Breakthroughs Yet to Come

Breakthroughs Yet to Come

Looking back on this season, there were a lot of players that we were expecting to live up to their high upside over the course of this season. So far, the only one to truly live up to that is Johnny Cueto, while others have either had seasons reminiscent of past years or encountered steep drop-offs. Which ones do you think are still overdue for a true breakout season, and which ones have the boat passed on?

Homer Bailey- He's grown into a decent fourth starter option when healthy, but his pitching repertoire and streaks of dominance have proven he can be so much more under the right circumstances. Seems to be the most easily rattled member of the staff, with apparent ongoing confidence issues, multiple injuries, and immense ERA splits between Hernandez and Hanigan.

Edinson Volquez- Yet another example of a pitcher with dominating stuff but plagued by inconsistency. His recent stints coming off of TJ surgery and failure to adjust over a major league season have left him in limbo with this Reds team, though recent minor league numbers provide hope.

Jay Bruce- Already a very good player with excellent defense and 30-HR power, but he remains too streaky and frustrating for a regular spot in the 4-hole. He has all-star/MVP potential and is still young, but he's currently finishing up his fourth season in red and may have already become the player he was destined to be.

Aroldis Chapman- Clearly has the stuff to dominate any batter, but to call him streaky is an understatement. He goes from 103+ mph fastballs and relief no-hitters to absolute failure to find the strike zone. His transition to a starting role remains unclear, but enticing.

Chris Heisey- His minor league numbers were strong, and he continues to be outstanding against relievers, but his numbers as a starter have failed to inspire. He has shown more power than in past years, however.

Travis Wood- Looked like a possible #2 starter up until the first game of the year. To call his season disappointing would be an understatement, but he's still very new to the majors and has plenty of time to bounce back.

Drew Stubbs- As much as this club has been through in the last two years, it's easy to forget how young and raw Stubbs remains. He was never projected to have an overpowering average, so some may see him as having reached his maximum value, but he has room to improve his steals and lower strikeouts may come with time.

Nick Masset- Our bullpen's greatest enigma. Aside from Chapman, he has the most powerful stuff of any of our relief squad, and has occasionally shown the skills to become a closer. However, he has been equally as inconsistent as Chapman, as he has been responsible for a number of Reds losses this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Breakthroughs Yet to Come

I said Bruce. I think we will develop some consistency eventually, which will allow him to be a 40hr/.285 guy.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I picked Bailey, Wood and Stubbs.

Bruce is already a pretty fine outfielder, and a breakout from what he already is would equate to .300/40hr, which would be pretty amazing really.

Bailey I guess I just want to believe in him. It might be emotional, lol, I don't know.

Wood I really feel is better than he has looked this year.

Stubbs could still put it together and become a .275/25hr/35sb guy.

I picked Bailey. I just think he has the tools to be a TOR guy. maybe a #2.. IMO we havent even seen what this kid can do. Hopefully the Reds hang onto him because as of right now we wouldn't get a heck of alot outta him and I think hes due for a major season coming up. Hopefully he can reach his expectations and him and Cueto can have great years next year. We need it with Arroyo not going anywhere anytime soon

bailey is fools gold will never pan out

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I picked Bailey, Wood and Stubbs.

Bruce is already a pretty fine outfielder, and a breakout from what he already is would equate to .300/40hr, which would be pretty amazing really.

Bailey I guess I just want to believe in him. It might be emotional, lol, I don't know.

Wood I really feel is better than he has looked this year.

Stubbs could still put it together and become a .275/25hr/35sb guy.
    The problem with Stubbs is that he's 27 years old. He should be at that point in his career where he is in his prime. The truth is that he is in his prime. This is it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I see Bailey and Stubbs and being trade bait this offseason.

Bailey is fragile and Stubbs just flat out K's too much. Trade them while their value is still high.

I see Stubbs as trade bait but I'd prefer to hold onto Bailey. He's too young to give up on now..For some reason I think if we parted with Bailey a couple years down the road we would be kicking ourselves. Just my opinion...Sappelt would be just as good as Stubbs in center. Same speed same defensively. We would lose out on the power but hey id sacrifice power for less strikeouts from my leadoff hitter.

Turn Off Ads?