Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 8/20

Birthdays- 8/20

Reds:

Kal Daniels (48)- A great pure hitter.

Fred Norman (69)- Little lefty who for some reason never got the credit he deserved for his role on the BRM.

Others:

Todd Helton (38)

Andy Benes (44)

Graig Nettles (67) There are lots of great Nettles quotes. My favorite: "The best thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day. The worst thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day".

Al Lopez- Seems like Al had a happy life; Long-time catcher, long-time manager, nice guy, became rich investing in oil wells, lived to age 97. I'd take that.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 8/20

Norman was picked up for next to nothing and gave the REDS several productive seasons.

Lopez also had the honor of getting ejected from Al Lopez field in Tampa.

I always remember Nettles for winning a HR title with a grand total of 32 (1976). Ah...those pre-roid days!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Norman is one of the most underated pitchers of the BRM. Very good lefty who came out of nowhere to become a key member of the pitching staff. I can remember when the Reds got him from SD. He was 1-7 and hadn't been very good for them at all. Wondered why in the world are the Reds picking up someone like this. IIRC he won his first 6 or 7 starts as a Red and was really good from that point on. I thought afterwards that Larry Shepard must have spotted something in his mechanics that he knew he could correct and did so. He was as good a lefty, other than Steve Carlton, in the NL for a time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Kal Daniels (48)- A great pure hitter.

Fred Norman (69)- Little lefty who for some reason never got the credit he deserved for his role on the BRM.

Others:

Todd Helton (38)

Andy Benes (44)

Graig Nettles (67) There are lots of great Nettles quotes. My favorite: "The best thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day. The worst thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day".

Al Lopez- Seems like Al had a happy life; Long-time catcher, long-time manager, nice guy, became rich investing in oil wells, lived to age 97. I'd take that.
    I can understand why you didn't include George Zuverink 88, in today's Reds listing but he was with them for a sip of coffee in 1954. He pitched in 2 games but, what the heck, once a Red always a Red. Also, how many 'Z' guys do we have walking around out there? Couldn't be many.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Turn Off Ads?