Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

  1. #1
    Have Faith In Dusty DGullett35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    712

    2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Rolen may very well retire at the end of this season. What is your guys opinion of where Frazier fits in on this team in the future and will Francisco have a good shot to be our starting third baseman for next year

    Also LF is up for grabs depending on what moves are made and IMHO CF(Stubbs just doesn't cut it)

    Thoughts?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    if anys1 banking on Frazier were in trouble.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    301

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Rolen said he's not retiring. Especially since the surgery was very successful as he stated. So it will be him. Frazier or Francisco backing him up.

    Now if Dusty is canned it might be different. I like Rolen. If he plays about 80-100 games and bats 6th or 7th and produces somewhat.

  5. #4
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    I like Scott. But at his age, I don't like him batting 4th.

    I am hoping for an offseason trade that brings a true cleanup hitter.

    Then bat Scott like 6th or 7th.

    I see Francisco as the part time third baseman, simply because he also provides a left handed power bat to the roster. And they have to find out if he can hit major league pitching, because Rolen is gone after 2012.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  6. #5
    Have Faith In Dusty DGullett35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    712

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Hmm so I guess that answers my question. Rolen will be back for 2012 then. I love his defense i just hope he can hit around .270 with 20HR and I would consider that a good season for him. Also I hope Francisco can pan out somewhat and be with the big club next year. He has alot of potential. I just don't see where Frazier fits in with this club going forward

  7. #6
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I just don't see where Frazier fits in with this club going forward
    Cairo is signed for one more year. He's also in his mid to late 30's (my guess is 37, but I might be wrong). I see Frazier assuming the Cairo, Hairston Jr., Ryan Freel role the season after next. He can even play LF.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Love Rolen's defense and professionalism. I think at this stage in his career he could be a good #2 hitter. If not there, #6 is about right. I do think he should play 4 of the 6 days each week with Francisco, if healthy getting the other 2 or 3 starts. He has great potential but we need to see it... soon.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    343

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Francisco needs to get a chance at regular playing time.

    Rick Sweet quote from the other day: “He’s playing the best baseball he’s ever
    played in Louisville. He has come back and played very, very well. He’s played hard and has been much more consistent. Right now, since he’s come back, it’s the best I’ve seen Juan play on a consistent basis.”

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    654

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    rolen needs to go away and stop stealing money, his performance in the playoffs was atrocious and he was counted on this year thus blocking the development of the future players,keeping rolen is exactly what losing organizations do, like keeping larkin and griffey for four extra years, rolen needs to stop feeding off the trough, and get out

  11. #10
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by CWRed View Post
    Rolen said he's not retiring. Especially since the surgery was very successful as he stated. So it will be him. Frazier or Francisco backing him up.

    Now if Dusty is canned it might be different. I like Rolen. If he plays about 80-100 games and bats 6th or 7th and produces somewhat.
    It will be him until he hurts himself in spring training

  12. #11
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Cairo is signed for one more year. He's also in his mid to late 30's (my guess is 37, but I might be wrong). I see Frazier assuming the Cairo, Hairston Jr., Ryan Freel role the season after next. He can even play LF.
    Frazier was a .260 hitter in AAA and a .206 hitter in the majors. He will be in AAA next season

  13. #12
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    rolen needs to go away and stop stealing money, his performance in the playoffs was atrocious and he was counted on this year thus blocking the development of the future players,keeping rolen is exactly what losing organizations do, like keeping larkin and griffey for four extra years, rolen needs to stop feeding off the trough, and get out
    The Reds were dumb enough to sign the contract, no way I would walk away from 6 million bucks. Don't blame rolen blame the Reds, they knew when they signed him he was old and injury prone. Plus they knew they had 3rd baseman in the pipe line that he would be blocking

  14. #13
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,798

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Cross your fingers that the surgery lets Rolen have one last hurrah season.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,258

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    The Reds were dumb enough to sign the contract, no way I would walk away from 6 million bucks. Don't blame rolen blame the Reds, they knew when they signed him he was old and injury prone. Plus they knew they had 3rd baseman in the pipe line that he would be blocking
    I agree, kind of. I don't think he is "blocking" anyone though, that would imply there is a replacment player considered nearly as good and I dont think there is. More healthy/reliable to be able to play, sure, but I dont think we have a future MLB caliber 3'rd baseman in our system ready to take over.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    297

    Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cross your fingers that the surgery lets Rolen have one last hurrah season.
    I'll take a hurrah half.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25