Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

Rolen may very well retire at the end of this season. What is your guys opinion of where Frazier fits in on this team in the future and will Francisco have a good shot to be our starting third baseman for next year

Also LF is up for grabs depending on what moves are made and IMHO CF(Stubbs just doesn't cut it)

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Redlegs Opening Day Third Baseman

if anys1 banking on Frazier were in trouble.

Rolen said he's not retiring. Especially since the surgery was very successful as he stated. So it will be him. Frazier or Francisco backing him up.

Now if Dusty is canned it might be different. I like Rolen. If he plays about 80-100 games and bats 6th or 7th and produces somewhat.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I like Scott. But at his age, I don't like him batting 4th.

I am hoping for an offseason trade that brings a true cleanup hitter.

Then bat Scott like 6th or 7th.

I see Francisco as the part time third baseman, simply because he also provides a left handed power bat to the roster. And they have to find out if he can hit major league pitching, because Rolen is gone after 2012.

Hmm so I guess that answers my question. Rolen will be back for 2012 then. I love his defense i just hope he can hit around .270 with 20HR and I would consider that a good season for him. Also I hope Francisco can pan out somewhat and be with the big club next year. He has alot of potential. I just don't see where Frazier fits in with this club going forward

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I just don't see where Frazier fits in with this club going forward
    Cairo is signed for one more year. He's also in his mid to late 30's (my guess is 37, but I might be wrong). I see Frazier assuming the Cairo, Hairston Jr., Ryan Freel role the season after next. He can even play LF.

Love Rolen's defense and professionalism. I think at this stage in his career he could be a good #2 hitter. If not there, #6 is about right. I do think he should play 4 of the 6 days each week with Francisco, if healthy getting the other 2 or 3 starts. He has great potential but we need to see it... soon.

Francisco needs to get a chance at regular playing time.

Rick Sweet quote from the other day: “He’s playing the best baseball he’s ever
    played in Louisville. He has come back and played very, very well. He’s played hard and has been much more consistent. Right now, since he’s come back, it’s the best I’ve seen Juan play on a consistent basis.”

rolen needs to go away and stop stealing money, his performance in the playoffs was atrocious and he was counted on this year thus blocking the development of the future players,keeping rolen is exactly what losing organizations do, like keeping larkin and griffey for four extra years, rolen needs to stop feeding off the trough, and get out

Quote Originally Posted by CWRed View Post
    Rolen said he's not retiring. Especially since the surgery was very successful as he stated. So it will be him. Frazier or Francisco backing him up.

Now if Dusty is canned it might be different. I like Rolen. If he plays about 80-100 games and bats 6th or 7th and produces somewhat.
    It will be him until he hurts himself in spring training

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Cairo is signed for one more year. He's also in his mid to late 30's (my guess is 37, but I might be wrong). I see Frazier assuming the Cairo, Hairston Jr., Ryan Freel role the season after next. He can even play LF.
    Frazier was a .260 hitter in AAA and a .206 hitter in the majors. He will be in AAA next season

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    rolen needs to go away and stop stealing money, his performance in the playoffs was atrocious and he was counted on this year thus blocking the development of the future players,keeping rolen is exactly what losing organizations do, like keeping larkin and griffey for four extra years, rolen needs to stop feeding off the trough, and get out
    The Reds were dumb enough to sign the contract, no way I would walk away from 6 million bucks. Don't blame rolen blame the Reds, they knew when they signed him he was old and injury prone. Plus they knew they had 3rd baseman in the pipe line that he would be blocking

Cross your fingers that the surgery lets Rolen have one last hurrah season.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    The Reds were dumb enough to sign the contract, no way I would walk away from 6 million bucks. Don't blame rolen blame the Reds, they knew when they signed him he was old and injury prone. Plus they knew they had 3rd baseman in the pipe line that he would be blocking
    I agree, kind of. I don't think he is "blocking" anyone though, that would imply there is a replacment player considered nearly as good and I dont think there is. More healthy/reliable to be able to play, sure, but I dont think we have a future MLB caliber 3'rd baseman in our system ready to take over.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cross your fingers that the surgery lets Rolen have one last hurrah season.
    I'll take a hurrah half.

Turn Off Ads?