Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

Re: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

Boxberger is good but he is not close to being a ML closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Boxberger is good but he is not close to being a ML closer.
    How far away is he?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How far away is he?
    I think he could close by 2013.

You look at the Reds 2011 AFL players and they did not have a lot of options. American players who were on a AA or AAA roster on August 1. One player can be a Single-A player (Greene). Throw out pitchers who were basically maxed out on innings and, particularly on the pitching side, there were not too many choices.

Cinreds21, what did you see of Travis Webb? How hard does he throw and how is his secondary stuff? Is there anything there that would lead you to believe he should be better than his numbers indicate?

I see he had a strong second half but he did not do particularly well vs. LH batters.
    Last edited by redsof72; 10-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    You look at the Reds 2011 AFL players and they did not have a lot of options. American players who were on a AA or AAA roster on August 1. One player can be a Single-A player (Greene). Throw out pitchers who were basically maxed out on innings and, particularly on the pitching side, there were not too many choices.

Cinreds21, what did you see of Travis Webb? How hard does he throw and how is his secondary stuff? Is there anything there that would lead you to believe he should be better than his numbers indicate?

I see he had a strong second half but he did not do particularly well vs. LH batters.
    Well once he moved to the bullpen, he really shined, as the numbers show. His fastball sat between 89-91. His secondary stuff isn't great, but it's good enough that he could be in a big league bullpen. Not eighth or ninth inning guy, but sixth or seventh for sure. He just looked better out of the pen, if that makes sense.

In the opener for the AFL, Grandal went 1 for 3 with a walk.

Donnie Joseph pitched an inning an 2 thirds with a K and a walk.

Brad Boxberger pitched an inning and a third with 4 Ks and got the save.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Wednesday 10/5 Phoenix Desert Dogs romp 10-4.
    Brodie Greene 1 for 4, 2RS - a three-run jack.
    Cody Puckett 1 for 3 1RS - a two-run jack.
    Nick Christiani 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 1 K.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Wednesday 10/5 Phoenix Desert Dogs romp 10-4.
    Brodie Greene 1 for 4, 2RS - a three-run jack.
    Cody Puckett 1 for 3 1RS - a two-run jack.
    Nick Christiani 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 1 K.
    Wrong Green. The Green who went 1-4, 2r, 3 run bomb was Grant Green of the A's.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wrong Green. The Green who went 1-4, 2r, 3 run bomb was Grant Green of the A's.
    Grant Green needs to change his name then.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Well once he moved to the bullpen, he really shined, as the numbers show. His fastball sat between 89-91. His secondary stuff isn't great, but it's good enough that he could be in a big league bullpen. Not eighth or ninth inning guy, but sixth or seventh for sure. He just looked better out of the pen, if that makes sense.
    Could it be that once guys see his stuff for an inning or two they are able to adjust and pick up the ball better? Or is he able to put more mustard on his stuff?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Could it be that once guys see his stuff for an inning or two they are able to adjust and pick up the ball better? Or is he able to put more mustard on his stuff?
    I think his stuff just transitioned better out fo the the bullpen for some reason. He's a better pitcher out of the pen. Sorry I am not sounding amazingly smart right now, I just can't think of the right words I wanna say for some reason. Sorry

Webb said the transition helped him simply because he didn't have to worry about pacing himself like he did as a starter. He could come out and give more effort when he wasn't expected to pitch as long.

On Friday,

Yasmani Grandal went 1 for 4 with a double
    Cody Puckett went 0 for 2 with 2 walks
    Travis Webb went 2 and third with 3 hits, 3 walks, 2 earned runs and a homer allowed. He struck out 3.
    Donnie Joseph went an inning giving up 3 hits, a walk and 2 eared runs with 2 K's while taking the loss.
    Brad Boxberger went a screless inning but gave up 2 hits and a walk while striking out the side.

Not an impressive day from the pitchers.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

From Keith Law:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...star-potential
    I expect to see Cincinnati Reds right-hander Brad Boxberger in their big league pen in 2012; he was 90-94 with a hard curveball at 81-84. Right-handed hitters will have a hard time picking up the ball because he comes slightly across his body. I'd like to see even a show-me change-up just so left-handers, who hit him better than righties did this year but still didn't hit him well, don't take too much advantage of his delivery.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Boxberger replaces Cordero or Masset and that money goes toward a starter. Hopefully Wlat see the same thing and foregoes this rumored extension of Cordero.

Turn Off Ads?