Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

Arizona Fall League Info 2011

Some info is out. Reds are assigned to Phoenix Desert Dogs this year along with A's Indians, Yankees, Oakland, and Toronto. Managed by someone from A's. No Reds listed on staff as off now.

Used to be 2 Peoria Teams, now there is 1 as the Rafters are now playing at the new Diamond Backs/Rockies facility at Talking Stick. And the Saguaros are now at Surprise.

Schedule is out also....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winter...9&ymd=20111004
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-21-2011 at 04:23 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

I'm bored so I'll fire off my guess on the Az Roster. They will be announced Aug 31 but I haven't heard anything yet.

Here's the rules:

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
    One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
    One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.
    No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
    To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.

I looked up the Confederation and it's Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Venezuela.

Teams don't usually send guys more than once, in my opinion starters sent that spent full season playing are not top prospects. Last year the Reds had 4 pitchers and 4 hitters.

So:

Yasmani Grandal
    Didi Gregorius
    Cody Puckett
    Josh Fellhauer
    Eric Campbell

Scott Carroll
    Nick Christiani
    Travis Webb
    Donnie Joseph

If that's the squad it's not the most star-studded

-The Insider-

Here is who's going:

Grandal
    Webb
    Puckett
    Joseph
    Boxberger
    Christiani

Thanks 21. I got all except Boxberger and I didn't include him because he was there 2 years ago.

Obviously you will have some of each, but overall do players hope to be sent out to the fall league? Or if it were up to them would they rather just head home?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Here is who's going:

Grandal
    Webb
    Puckett
    Joseph
    Boxberger
    Christiani
    Not as many as in past seasons. Surprised Gergorious isn't going to make up for losing his first half.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not as many as in past seasons. Surprised Gergorious isn't going to make up for losing his first half.
    He may go elsewhere to play. Perhaps Australia again. Just speculating.

I also wondered whether there might be another name or 2 added.

Can anyone provide an update on Travis Webb? When drafted in 2006 he was said to touch 93 with his FB but with weak secondary pitches. He was a starter until this year. Looking at his stats, the thing that stands out is an improvement in his K/9 and K/BB. He also appears to have GB tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Can anyone provide an update on Travis Webb? When drafted in 2006 he was said to touch 93 with his FB but with weak secondary pitches. He was a starter until this year. Looking at his stats, the thing that stands out is an improvement in his K/9 and K/BB. He also appears to have GB tendencies.
    Saw him two weeks ago. Velocity was 89-91, touched slightly higher. Need to go back and watch the video some more to get a better look at his offspeed pitches.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Ever since he moved to the pen he's looked very good. As Doug said, he only hits around 91 and his off-speed pitches are average. With Vall gone and a good or decent Fall League, I think he'll get added to the 40-man.

Non-Scouting Report - I've talked to him a couple times and seems like a great guy and I'm rooting for him.

-The Insider-

Rosters were officially announced today.

Looks like Brodie Greene is the only guy who was added to the original list posted here.

I like the Greene add. Underrated prospect.

Turn Off Ads?