Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

Re: Arizona Fall League Info 2011

is there anywhere you can watch these games online when the league starts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

No. I think they show the All Start game and the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    No. I think they show the All Start game and the finals.
    ok thanks is that usually on mlb network?

Yes

Just thought I'd bump this up so it doesn't get buried. I don't recall seeing anything, but who will be on the coaching or training staff from our organization?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

-The Insider-

I think Charles Leddon is going to be there, but there isn't anyone listed as a manager or coach on the roster.

The AFL will kick-off on Tuesday with an afternoon game. Some things to watch for this fall:

- The not too distant future of the Reds bullpen may be on display with RHPs Brad Boxberger and Nick Christiani and LHPs Donnie Jospeh and Travis Webb. Performance here may be the determining factor in whether or not Webb is added to the 40 man roster or exposed in Rule 5. Joseph can hopefully re-establish his lost luster with a good AFL showing. Boxberger and Christaini may show that the aggressive promotions to AAA, which resulted in some mediocre numbers, was a just a step on the way to Cincy's pen and not a wall that they've run into. If some of these guys look like they can help at some point in 2012, the team may pass on handing out much money for bullpen roles. Savng some bucks in the pen would go a long way toward allowing the team to retain or acquire more important pieces.

- Yasmani Grandal, who may be a prime trade chip in the search for a top starter, will hopefully boost his value with a good showing.

- Brodie Greene and Cody Puckett can establish themselves as prospects with a good showing.

At least there will be some box scores and stats to look at. I miss that already.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Boxberger had a sub 3 ERA and more strikeouts than innings in AAA. Those are mediocre numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Boxberger had a sub 3 ERA and more strikeouts than innings in AAA. Those are mediocre numbers?
    I was actualy thinking of Christiani when I wrote that, but his 4.9 BB/9 says he may be a little high for his level. His .233 BABIP make his ERA a little less than trustworthy. I like him. I just think he's been pushed a little fast and I hope his time in the AFL helps him develop to the point of being on the brink like his finsih in AAA might suggest it is.

I'd really like to see him in Cincy by June and pitching late inning situations before the end of July, but I think its a little fast and hope his time against valued prospects for a couple months bridges the gap. I really want the Reds to fill as much of the pen as possible for the minimum and save the bucks for the rotation and if necessary, LF.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was actualy thinking of Christiani when I wrote that, but his 4.9 BB/9 says he may be a little high for his level. His .233 BABIP make his ERA a little less than trustworthy. I like him. I just think he's been pushed a little fast and I hope his time in the AFL helps him develop to the point of being on the brink like his finsih in AAA might suggest it is.

I'd really like to see him in Cincy by June and pitching late inning situations before the end of July, but I think its a little fast and hope his time against valued prospects for a couple months bridges the gap. I really want the Reds to fill as much of the pen as possible for the minimum and save the bucks for the rotation and if necessary, LF.
    The walks were worrisome a little bit. BABIP, not so much. I say that because in the minor leagues, the talent level simply isn't always even like it is in the majors. Some guys can actually influence their BABIP in the minors because they have more talent than the other guys.

Guys simply couldn't hit him this year. He had some walk issues though, I will give you that one.

The walks were worrisome a little bit. BABIP, not so much. I say that because in the minor leagues, the talent level simply isn't always even like it is in the majors. Some guys can actually influence their BABIP in the minors because they have more talent than the other guys.

Guys simply couldn't hit him this year. He had some walk issues though, I will give you that one.
    I buy what you are saying about BABIP if he was consistently down in that area, but it doesn't jibe with last year when the talent should have been less at the lower level and his BABIP was .392 at AA and .329 at A+. I do think the move to relief may make him more dominant and lower the BABIP, but he was a reliever in AA last year and the .392 makes this season seem like something that shouldn't be believed IMO. A couple of months in the AFL may reveal something.

I buy what you are saying about BABIP if he was consistently down in that area, but it doesn't jibe with last year when the talent should have been less at the lower level and his BABIP was .392 at AA and .329 at A+. I do think the move to relief may make him more dominant and lower the BABIP, but he was a reliever in AA last year and the .392 makes this season seem like something that shouldn't be believed IMO. A couple of months in the AFL may reveal something.
    Having listened to him, last year as a reliever, he wasn't quite right in terms of how to go about everything. Toss in the fact that he is very likely a better pitcher this year than he was last year and we are starting to get somewhere. Now lets look at his batted ball profile....

He allowed the ball to be put into play, including HR's, 123 times this season. He allowed 17 line drives. That is a 13.8% line drive against rate. Guy's weren't squaring the ball up against him much this season at all. I think his BABIP relfects his batted ball profile pretty well. Maybe he was slightly lucky if we go with the LD%+ .120 to give us a .258 expected BABIP.

Having listened to him, last year as a reliever, he wasn't quite right in terms of how to go about everything. Toss in the fact that he is very likely a better pitcher this year than he was last year and we are starting to get somewhere. Now lets look at his batted ball profile....

He allowed the ball to be put into play, including HR's, 123 times this season. He allowed 17 line drives. That is a 13.8% line drive against rate. Guy's weren't squaring the ball up against him much this season at all. I think his BABIP relfects his batted ball profile pretty well. Maybe he was slightly lucky if we go with the LD%+ .120 to give us a .258 expected BABIP.
    I hope you're right. If so, a couple of months dominating in the AFL should make him an optoin to go north with the Reds in the spring. The AFL subs for a couple more months in AAA. That's great. It fits with my thoughts that the Reds should avoid spending money on Cordero or even going to arb with Masset. More money for a starter.

I hope you're right. If so, a couple of months dominating in the AFL should make him an optoin to go north with the Reds in the spring. The AFL subs for a couple more months in AAA. That's great. It fits with my thoughts that the Reds should avoid spending money on Cordero or even going to arb with Masset. More money for a starter.
    If he has his control, he is good to go. His stuff is MLB ready. He just needs to make sure he can get it in the strikezone. I do need to go back and watch him throw about 15-20 innings in a row though.... just not at that point in my player evaluations yet.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Really looking forward to seeing how Grandal and Boxberger in particular perform. Grandal might be trade bait at this point, but I would actually like to see the Reds keep him and go with a Mesoraco/Grandal platoon beginning in 2013 until one of them clearly separates himself from the other. I also think Boxberger is the Reds' closer-of-the-future. Probably not in 2012, but maybe by 2013. With Chapman moving to the rotation most likely and the Reds' unlikely to re-sign Cordero IMO, who is the best option as the closer? Ondrusek? Masset? A free agent that won't cost too much? Probably the latter, but that won't be easy to find. So, hopefully Boxberger is ready in the not-too-distant future because this organization needs him. Man that would be nice if he ends up being the answer at closer. His combined numbers from AA/AAA this season were very impressive, and let's keep in mind this was his first full season as a reliever.

Turn Off Ads?