Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How will the Reds use chapman

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replaces Co-Co as the Reds closer after this year

    13 23.64%
  • Continues in the role he is in now for another season

    4 7.27%
  • Reds trade him at somepoint in the next few seasons

    0 0%
  • Spends this offseason working on being a starter and is a starter at some point in 2012 season

    22 40.00%
  • No clue as it appears the Reds have no clue

    16 29.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Chapman's future

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Chapman's future

    Not how YOU want him to be used, but with the way the Reds have used him up to this point, what kind of future do you see him having with the Reds?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: Chapman's future

    Neftali Feliz = Aroldis Chapman
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

  4. #3
    The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    416

    Re: Chapman's future

    Kid was signed to start,which us what us all pretty much figured.Rather than be some $30 million dollar half inning,circus act to sell tickets.

    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Chapman's future

    id love to say start but cmon it almost seems to late now. should of never changed him to bullpen in 1st place.

  6. #5
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: Chapman's future

    He is the closer no question about it

    The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

    He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start

  7. #6
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Chapman's future

    Reds screwed this situation up. I'm losing faith in management.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    760

    Re: Chapman's future

    The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Chapman's future

    As far as the money goes, if Chapman can be a dominate closer he would be way underpaid, look at what dominate closers make today.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    350

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He is the closer no question about it

    The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

    He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start
    If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.

  11. #10
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,816

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.
    According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

    Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

  12. #11
    Member Tadasimha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    440

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.
    That's not an outrageous amount for a closer these days, particularly one with the power arm that Chapman brings out. I can see him coming in in the 9th and blowing away batters all of next season - another off-season working on control and he's ready.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

  13. #12
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,816

    Re: Chapman's future

    I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.
    long way from that

  15. #14
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.
    I would assume he would not be in the minors the whole year. He would most likely qualify for super two status


    Here is another thing, has Chapman thrown a changeup in the last year? All I ever see is Fastball and Slider, he will need to master a third pitch and maybe forth pitch to be a starter
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 08-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.

  16. #15
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: Chapman's future

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

    Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

    If he does not qualify in 2012 he is a lock to qualify in 2013. As a closer he will be cheaper through arbitration than a starter and you know the Reds will go the cheaper route.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25