Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monday 8-22-2011 Minor League Game Thread

Monday 8-22-2011 Minor League Game Thread

Louisville trails 2-1 after 6.5. Is it time to kiss and make up with Edinson?
    7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Monday 8-22-2011 Minor League Game Thread

Mudcats trail 6-4 in the middle of the fifth. Gregorius 2 for 2 with an HR. Campbell and Puckett with a pair of hits apiece. Josh Ravin struggling on the mound for Carolina.

Dayton up 4-2 after five. Slidin' Billy knocking on the door of the unusual, and maybe unprecented, 40/100 club. 40 errors and 100 stolen bases that is. Hamilton stole bases numbered 87 and 88. He also committed error number 37. Daniel Corcino is, well, dealing tonight. 5IP 2H 1ER 3BB 6K.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.
    Volquez is finally past the 24 month mark from his TJ surgery. Its real possible he could improve by leaps and bounds next year. I wouldn't give him away.

I wouldn't count on him either though. If you get something good, deal him. If no decent offers come, keep him and see what happens.

In either case, plan the rotation as if he's not an option.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Francisco (2-4, 2B, .312) is swinging a hot bat. Be a good time to get him up.

Louisville lost 3-2.

Oh my. Dayton wins 17-1.

Hamilton: 4-6, 3 SB (89)
    Torreyes: 2-6, 4 RBI, .358
    Muller: 3-4
    Lutz: 3-6
    Duran: 2-5, 2B
    Berset 3-4, 2 2B, HR
    Bowe 2-3

Cingrani went 5 innings tonight for Billings, giving up 1 run and striking out 8. Mustangs lead 2-1 after six. Maddox, Buckey and Silva are 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Volquez is finally past the 24 month mark from his TJ surgery. Its real possible he could improve by leaps and bounds next year. I wouldn't give him away.

I wouldn't count on him either though. If you get something good, deal him. If no decent offers come, keep him and see what happens.

In either case, plan the rotation as if he's not an option.
    If he continues to pitch well the rest of the year, he is penciled in my rotation for next season. Wood hasn't done anything to get back in. Willis is likely gone. Chapman probably won't be stretched out if they even choose to go that route. A few more good weeks and he's earned his way back...and I figure we'll see him at GABP before the year is out.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.
    No, there is a list as long as the Ohio River of players that excelled in AAA that couldn't cut it at the MLB level. I want to see Edinson do it in the Show before I even think about changing my mind about that guy. I'm still convinced his ONLY good season in professional baseball was partially due to the fact he was juicing.

[This post was sponsored by Jeremy Hermida and Brandon Larson.]

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No, there is a list as long as the Ohio River of players that excelled in AAA that couldn't cut it at the MLB level. I want to see Edinson do it in the Show before I even think about changing my mind about that guy. I'm still convinced his ONLY good season in professional baseball was partially due to the fact he was juicing.

[This post was sponsored by Jeremy Hermida and Brandon Larson.]
    Because steroids have a long history of fixing control problems?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Berset 3-4, 2 2B, HR
    Looks like hell finally froze over

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Because steroids have a long history of fixing control problems?
    Exactly. Even this year, Volquez was dominant when he was throwing strikes. He's still 3rd on the team in Ks. But when he wasn't on, he was horrible. His velocity is still about the same that it was in 2008. I see no reason that he can't be penciled in as the 5th starter next year. There's pretty low risk in that with obviously great rewards if he can regain form and throw strikes.

Most pitchers take two years to come back from tommy john surgery...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If he continues to pitch well the rest of the year, he is penciled in my rotation for next season. Wood hasn't done anything to get back in. Willis is likely gone. Chapman probably won't be stretched out if they even choose to go that route. A few more good weeks and he's earned his way back...and I figure we'll see him at GABP before the year is out.
    This is the same mistake Walt made coming into 2011. No matter what he does from here on out, he's still a question mark for 2012. Get 5 guys who you think you can count on. If Volquez is back, he's good enough to push the worst of the group aside. Chances are somebody comes up lame or has a horrid season and makes a spot for him anyway. Planning on Volquez creates a huge risk of coming up short if he crashes and burns. The Reds already made the mistake this year planning on Volquez, Bailey, Wood and Leake and only Leake worked out and the starting pitching has been so bad that it not only put the reds in a hole much of the time, but it burnt out the bullpen and turned a strength into a weakness.

At most I'd devote one spot to Volquez/Bailey/Wood to fight over. Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Acquisition who is better than at least two of them and a fifth spot for them to fight over (or Ideally two acquisitions with at least one of the questionable trio dealt and those remaining fighting for a chance.)
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Mesoraco goes yard for the 14th time. 3 for 3 with 3 ribeyes. 4-3 Louisville in the 6th.

Turn Off Ads?