Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Walt Jocketty a lame Duck?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - He's holding the kids to keep the pipeline full for his successor

2 7.41%
  • No - He's hanging on to the kids because he wants them in his organization

25 92.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Walt Jocketty a lame duck?

Is Walt Jocketty a lame duck?

Walt Jocketty's deal expires at the end of 2011. Anyone wonder if his seeming reluctance to deal any of the glut of kids with no place to play might be because he'll be stepping down and doesn't want to leave his successor with an empty pipeline. I think its curious that he hasn't re-upped yet.

Bill Bavasi here we come?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Is Walt Jocketty a lame duck?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Walt Jocketty's deal expires at the end of 2011. Anyone wonder if his seeming reluctance to deal any of the glut of kids with no place to play might be because he'll be stepping down and doesn't want to leave his successor with an empty pipeline. I think its curious that he hasn't re-upped yet.

Or Cam Bonifay?

You certainly could be right. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Walt retired soon.

Not sure this is the reason he has been gun shy. My guess is that it has more to do with economics. It's hard to deal for star players when you are extremely limited salary-wise.

But, as usual, your suggestion about Walt's future is insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Or Cam Bonifay?
    Bill Bavasi here we come
    Or Jim Hendry

Oh and

I think the answer is neither of the choices. At this point, there's few moves at this point in the season that can be accomplished that can't be better done in the off-season. I suspect that any Jocketty extension, if one is in the offing, won't be done until after the season.

And as I said on the other thread, it's just a myth, IMO, that one of these special assistants will necessarily be his replacement. Until we hired Jocketty, it had been 20 years since we hired someone with previous GM experience (Bob Quinn). Why now, simply because we hired this particular former GM, that we're suddenly going to have this certain pattern?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's hard to believe this topic has gone so far under the radar here.

I will say that a lack on money and a loosing team could be reason enough for there being no activity. That along with the fact that the main guy other teams wanted is likely to be the Reds starting catcher in the near future explains why no deals got done well enough for me. Still, Walts contract being up and the end of the season is interesting considering that there's been no mention of it in any news that I'm aware of.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And as I said on the other thread, it's just a myth, IMO, that one of these special assistants will necessarily be his replacement. Until we hired Jocketty, it had been 20 years since we hired someone with previous GM experience (Bob Quinn). Why now, simply because we hired this particular former GM, that we're suddenly going to have this certain pattern?
    Because the Reds have an owner who places great value on the opinions of his current GM and I believe Walt will recommend one of his seasoned lieutenants when he retires. For the preceding 20 years, the Reds had owners who saw an opportunity to pinch pennies by hiring an up-and-comer.

Oh, and I didn't answer the poll because I don't believe that the pipeline is a usable tea leaf for reading Walt's retirement intentions.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 08-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think the answer is neither of the choices. At this point, there's few moves at this point in the season that can be accomplished that can't be better done in the off-season. I suspect that any Jocketty extension, if one is in the offing, won't be done until after the season.

But its not just this trade deadline. It was the winter meetings the last two years and the trade deadline in 2010 as well.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Anyone wonder if those prospects--apart from the ones we'd really like to use ourselves--are simply not valued as highly by MLB as they are on RZ?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I for one am not seeing a lot of recent trades made by other teams that I wish the Reds had made --- except for some of the teams that RECEIVED prospects.

The best trades are often the ones you don't make, and there's no need to do anything crazy with the Reds so far out.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I for one am not seeing a lot of recent trades made by other teams that I wish the Reds had made --- except for some of the teams that RECEIVED prospects.

The best trades are often the ones you don't make, and there's no need to do anything crazy with the Reds so far out.
    I agree. People are upset because Walt didn't swing some kind of deal before the trading deadline. But we're on the "outside". We have no idea what other variables were in play that prevented us from going after a particular player. We can only guess and speculate concerning "rumors". And rumors are not very reliable sources.

This organization has made huge strides in improving it's farm system, and developing players. And over the last few years to present we're starting to see some positive results. Now that doesn't mean you don't utilize some of them to make a possible deal with another organization if it's to your benefit; but I think the biggest hindrance as to why Walt didn't make a deal for a Bourn, Jimenez, or whoever, was the huge demand these organizations were placing on our farm system. I think a few of these GMs saw the Red's farm system as being loaded with talent and placed some pretty hefty demands in front of Walt hoping he'd bite. He didn't.

IMO, it doesn't matter that they may have went elsewhere for lesser talent (Atlanta, Cleveland). What were they demanding of the Reds? And they obviously weren't relenting.

And there were other variables also to consider.....

If we had been able to swing a deal, and it cost us some solid prospects, would we be able to retain that player(s) past this year, or would they end up rentals? I want deals made that help this team more long term then short.

So I'm not going to fault Walt because he wasn't able to swing something.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-23-2011 at 04:40 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Anyone wonder if those prospects--apart from the ones we'd really like to use ourselves--are simply not valued as highly by MLB as they are on RZ?
    I think you are right here.

Also, I think deep down, Walt knew this team just had no chance at the division title. He couldn't say publicly that we were not a contender this year, but he did publicly say he was only interested in help for beyond this year.

I'm glad Walt held his chips.. Think about if we went "all in" this year and gave up prospects for Beltran and Edwin Jackson.. Walt would look pretty stupid about now if he did that. I'm also glad we didn't give a comparable package for Jimmeniz that the Indians paid.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Please no. I would rather have Jimbo back than Bavasi have ANY opportunity to get his claws on this team. The Mariners are STILL trying to fix the mess he left them.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I had no idea his contract was up after this year and I can't believe it's not being talked about a little more. You do have to wonder if hanging onto all these prospects and not really making any bold moves is because he doesn't want "Walt screwed it all up" to be his legacy. Seems like he's played it too safe.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Probably not as much as Dusty.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Turn Off Ads?