Thread: Earthquake

Re: Earthquake

FIRST PICTURES OF EARTHQUAKE DEVASTATION

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    FIRST PICTURES OF EARTHQUAKE DEVASTATION

Actually that's the second.

When you think about it, it would take quite a shake to knock one of those over.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    How did you not feel it?! I'm also in Sharonville and felt it while I was finishing up my lunch. The table started moving like someone was shaking it and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't realize it was an earthquake until I got back to my desk, was randomly checking Twitter, and saw all the earthquate updates. My coworkers all felt it but didn't realize what it was until I told them. First earthquake here that I've actually felt and it was really odd and I could definitely live the rest of my life not feeling one bigger than this one.
    You got me... Leaving work I asked around the other offices and their answers were the same. Felt nothing and most were not aware until others notified them. So that leaves an earthquake in the early 70s as the only one that I ever felt.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Cruisin' for trouble

Aftershock just rolled through. Mild - 4.2.

We were outside at the time. We could hear the rumble coming down the road and for several seconds after it passed. Wife is pretty freaked out by the whole deal.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

What was Dusty thinking

One fascinating clip was on the Washington Post site showed the White House as the quake hits. Watch how quickly federal agents get out on the White House roof - within seconds of the first tremor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...RZJ_video.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Breaking News (for laughs):

Obama administration issued a statement on the Earth Quake. Apparently is was centered on a rare fault line known as the "Bush's Fault".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

Obama administration issued a statement on the Earth Quake. Apparently is was centered on a rare fault line known as the "Bush's Fault".
    Boo! Take it to the other forum.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

I'm not as testy as some. Thought it was funny, Slyder!

I felt it. But I was in DC not all that far away from the center. I was out near the elevators on the floor I work and all at once everything started shaking. I thought a bomb had gone off in the bulding or near it. I ran back to my cube and grabbed my stuff and got out of the building. I was surprised they let us back in the building as quickly as they did. This happened about 10 minutes til 2 pm and they let back in just before 2:30. There are buildings still closed in DC this morning. The Washington Monument and Washington Cathederal had some damage. Some peoples homes had some damage. My didn't so I was lucky on that point. It just a while to get home last night. The subway was running on restricted speeds while they checked the tracks for damage. I think everyone left work at the same time too so the subway and the roads were packed with people getting home. That was certainly the heaviest earthquake I had felt. It did shake things up around the DC area.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Evacuations? East Coast wimps.

It is a little amusing how much press it is getting. But as someone who has also experienced California quakes, I must say they just feel stronger over here on the right side of the map. Even the tiny one earlier in the year felt at least twice as strong as it would have out west. It is a combination of building standards and the older, denser crust in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Boo! Take it to the other forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I felt the earthquake as well.
    I felt the earth move under my feet, I felt the sky tumbling down .

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I felt it. But I was in DC not all that far away from the center. I was out near the elevators on the floor I work and all at once everything started shaking. I thought a bomb had gone off in the bulding or near it. I ran back to my cube and grabbed my stuff and got out of the building. I was surprised they let us back in the building as quickly as they did. This happened about 10 minutes til 2 pm and they let back in just before 2:30. There are buildings still closed in DC this morning. The Washington Monument and Washington Cathederal had some damage. Some peoples homes had some damage. My didn't so I was lucky on that point. It just a while to get home last night. The subway was running on restricted speeds while they checked the tracks for damage. I think everyone left work at the same time too so the subway and the roads were packed with people getting home. That was certainly the heaviest earthquake I had felt. It did shake things up around the DC area.
    Both my son & daughter walked home. My daughter generally walks to and from work most days anyway unless the weather's horrid. This was my son's first time walking home since he only started his job a few weeks ago. Only took him about 20 minutes, so it was a nice exercise (in more ways than one) seeing how long it takes anyway.

The Baseball Bookstore

I felt nothing in Oxford.

... and I found Slyder's joke pretty funny.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?