• Someone else, not currently on team

10 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your 2012 Closer

Your 2012 Closer

Who will it be?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your 2012 Closer

My bet is Chapman. Seems like a classic J.R. Richards, Rob Dibble type blow-em-away closer.

I'd look outside the org. Our options here aren't great... Masset is prone to blowups, Chapman would be better served in the rotation (and this season's total breakdown is concerning), Boxberger isn't ready, and Cordero is too expensive. I'd make a trade for a mid-level option or try to make a free agent signing in the offseason (K-Rod and Heath Bell may be a bit expensive, but they'd be upgrades for cheaper over what we're getting by picking up Cordero's option).

I thought Masset. But his continued failures /inconsistency is unacceptable.

In my ideal world, we'd trade Cordero in a week, and bring Boxberger up 9/1 to do the closing to see what we've got in the kid.

2011 AA/AAA 57 IP 85 K's and .159 BA against That's pretty dominating.
    His career minor leauge average is now 11.8 K/9, and 11.1 in AAA (22.2 IP)

Massett had a 6.4 K/9 for his minor league career, and 7.8 in AAA (112.2IP)

Ondrusek had a 6.8 K/9 for his minor league career, and 5.6 in AAA (41.2 IP)

Chapman will definitely be stretch as a starter.
    Coco should be back he is the man, that will allow the Reds to groom someone from the organisation.
    I don't think we have that guy in the organisation now and a closer with experience from outside would be my choice.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I want Chapman in Louisville becoming a starter.

But I think the organization will go with him as closer next season.

I'd prefer seeing what Boxberger can do in September before handing it to Chapman.

I think they will have to sign someone. I don't see anyone in the org who could do it. Masset blew way too many games in his opportunities this year and doesn't even have a sub 3.00 ERA. I guess they could use Bray or Ondrusek but that would be a stretch.

As far as Chapman, what has he shown so far that would make us believe he could actually be the closer for a full season on a pennant caliber team? He can't handle pressure situations and that is what being a closer is all about. He needs to be a starter and that was his position in Cuba.

Bray, Ondrusek, or Boxberger. I hate spending alot of money on a closer. If you see Boxberger as the future closer, it makes no sense to bring in a guy from the outside because anybody good will want a multi-year deal

I think Chapman is going to be. Throws hard and heck he could even come in for the occasional 2 inning save

I don't get why people are so sure we don't have a future closer in the organization, I feel like we have a bunch.

Boxberger, Chapman, Bailey, Massett in that order for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    I don't get why people are so sure we don't have a future closer in the organization
    Actually only about one-quarter of the poll respondents are picking that option...so about 75% of the people agree with you. I'd say that's a very healthy/high agreement rate here on Ye Olde Sonne Decke.

He's got a great arm, but there isn't room for him in the rotation. If you try him out as closer, he can just focus on throwing two pitches, that should help is command.

He wouldn't be the first failed starter turned closer.

Eric Gagne, Joe Nathan, etc...
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post

He's got a great arm, but there isn't room for him in the rotation. If you try him out as closer, he can just focus on throwing two pitches, that should help is command.

He wouldn't be the first failed starter turned closer.

Eric Gagne, Joe Nathan, etc...
    I'm in.

I think Chapman as closer would be a fail. The guy doesn't have any control and that isn't the place to learn. A pitcher with a 3.82 ERA and 30 BB's in 37 innings shouldn't be in the discussion as a closer for a potential pennant winning team. No way he would hold up for a complete season with that kind of pressure.

Turn Off Ads?