Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking Forward to the 2012 Reds Minor Leagues

Re: Looking Forward to the 2012 Reds Minor Leagues

Manno will be in AA next year. I can't see them keeping him in high-A because he was so dominant--by far a more dominant pitcher than anyone else there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

LHP Chris Manno (26th round-Duke University)

There is a lot more on Manno out there than most of these other guys because he's a Nats redraft (taken in the 38th round last year) with pretty good college numbers.

Here's what NFA re-posted from Baseball America last year: "Junior lefthander Christopher Manno is the Blue Devils’ best prospect and could go anywhere from the fifth to 10th round. Like Wolcott, he works primarily off his fastball. He’s long and lean with deception and some projection left in his body. Manno at times sits at 83-87 mph, though he often throws harder and was 89-91 mph at times in the Cape last summer, when he went 3-0, 1.93 with 45 strikeouts in 42 innings. His changeup can be plus at times, while his slider is below-average. Manno is young for his draft class and doesn’t turn 21 until November."

Seiler (7/7/2009): Manno should have gone much earlier, and he was in consideration for the top ten rounds quite easily as a lefty with good size and great deception. His fastball is below-average, but he couples it with a contrasting changeup that gets a lot of funny swings.

Seiler answered a question on Manno in an "All Questions Answered" thread on 6/11/2010: Q: Thoughts on Duke’s LHP Chris Manno (26th, DC) – did he stuff back up a bit this year? A: Stuff was still down. Below-average velocity and stuff in general.

A nice interview with Manno from before the 2010 season can be found here. Some excerpts:

"It's hard not to root for Duke's senior lefty Chris Manno. He's humble, gives credit to coaches and teammates before himself and plays the game smart. He's both the kind of guy you want on the mound in a crucial game as well as someone you'd trust to date your sister."

"Q: The terms “funky” and “herky jerky” have been used to describe your pitching form. Yet, it's hard to say anything disparaging with the results. Has anyone attempted to tinker with your delivery or endorsed a change in your approach? A: Being herky jerky isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can watch a bunch of major league pitchers who are jerky jerky and funky, but their mechanics are actually good. My mechanics have developed throughout years and they're very sound if you watch them on tape. The way I deliver the ball and the way it comes out are just different. I do everything my coaches tell me to do and they've really, really helped me over the years. I just throw a little different – which is kind of good from what I heard.

Q: You were a late round draft choice of the Washington Nationals in the amateur drafts last spring. Was there much consideration in turning down the Nat's offers to go pro? You could been paid to play and continued your education later. A: Absolutely. That was definitely a consideration. I was honored to be drafted by them. You have to understand that I still have a lot of space for improving at the school I'm at right now. I haven't outgrown my coaches and I still have a lot to learn from them...In regards to me possibly signing it was absolutely an option, it's always been my dream to sign, but it just wasn't the right time. To be very honest I made it quite clear to scouts that it was going to take a significant commitment for me to leave an institution like Duke."

I really like Manno, especially as a 26th rounder. With a quirky delivery, he has a chance of being an effective ML pitcher. In the 26th round, there isn't any risk if he doesn't become one. He's portrayed as a high character guy. And the Nats obviously like him a lot, since they took him two years in a row. An all-around great pick to me.
    That was from Fight for old DC website.

This was from the Baseball Draft Report.

31. Duke SR LHP Chris Manno

more at 85-89 now with FB now, but has touched 90-91 in the past; quality mid-70s SL that has been inconsistent of late; plus CU; great command of FB; 6-2, 160 pounds (2.23 FIP; 11.19 K/9; 4.63 BB/9)
    Manno's numbers in 2011 were pretty outrageous.

TOTAL: 60.1 IP 26H 6ER 21BB 100K 1HR
    Bakersfield: 17.0IP 6H 1ER 6BB 31K 0HR

More of a results guy than a stuff guy. But those numbers are hard to ignore.

Exactly. Manno's #s in bakersfield were outstanding--and in a hitter's league, beyond outstanding.

He was a Manno among boyso.

His arrival from Washington was like Manno from the heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    He was a Manno among boyso.

There's probably a Manno WAR pun to be worked into the conversation but I am opting for dinner.

I hope they never have to jettison him: Manno verboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I hope they never have to jettison him: Manno verboard.
    Manno man that was bad.

I would think Danny Dorn is not going to be with the Reds org next year. I hope, for his sake, he gets picked up by a team that will give him a chance to see a major league pitch.

I didn't have Gregorious or Rodriguez starting a Louisville as some did. I figure that HRod may start out a little slow because of the injury, but if Did does start out at Louisville, I can see him splitting time with Cozart at SS and backing up 2B by the all-star break.

A few thoughts:

I would be shocked if Stephenson starts in Dayton. They started Sulbaran in Dayton and it did not go well. I think they learned something from that. I do not expect to see many guys skipping levels, with the possible exceptions of Josh Smith and Drew Hayes. No way does Yorman start in Bakersfield. No chance.

Dayton in 2012 could look like this:

C: Yovan Gonzalez backed up by Danny Vicioso
    1B: Robert Maddox/Nick O'Shea
    2B: Ryan Wright
    3B: Sean Buckley/Junior Arias
    SS: ??? possibilities could be Devin Lohman, Juan Perez, Sammy Diaz
    LF: Kyle Waldrop
    CF: Jefry Sierra
    RF: Yorman Rodriguez
    OF: Juan Silva, Bryson Smith, Drew Poulk, Kurtis Muller

Could see someone step forward and challenge such as Spencer Dickinson, Steve Selsky, or Brennan May.

Starting rotation (some combination of...)

Tony Cingrani
    Mitch Clarke
    Kyle McMyne
    Daniel Tuttle
    Jacob Johnson (if healthy)
    Radhames Quezada
    Wes Mugarian (would need a good spring; not a great 2011)
    Ismael Guillon (would have to have a great spring)

Bullpen (seven from this group, with the most likely guys at the top)

James Allen
    Brooks Pinckard
    Erik Miller
    Ryan Kemp
    Chris Joyce
    Nick Fleece
    Jim Moran
    Alejandro Chacin
    El'Hajj Muhammad
    Pat Quinn
    Dan Jensen
    Matt Leonard
    Justice French
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Carlos Contreras
    Porfirio Martinez

Then you always have the player that gets bumped back a level due to numbers at the very end of the spring that you did not factor in.

How about Jonathan Correa? Is he still in the organization? And where is he going to start out?

The player known as Jonathan Correa is on the suspended list. I am not sure that his age has been nailed down. Once they get that, the rest will follow. If it turns out he is considerably older than he represented, you probably won't see him again.

72, do you know anything about what Jacob Johnson's issue is, and how it's progressing? Was it an offseason thing? I don't recall him being shut down last season.

Turn Off Ads?