Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Mike Flanagan Dead

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

OT - Mike Flanagan Dead

Just heard on the MLB network that Mike Flanagan was found dead this afternoon. It was an apparent suicide. Flanagan mostly pitched for the Orioles and was pretty good in his time, winning 167 games according to news reports. He had been despondent over getting blamed for the team's futility.

Condolences to his family/
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: OT - Mike Flanagan Dead

I wasn't an Orioles fan during his time but this news is so tragic and sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the entire Orioles family too. I just heard that the O's play by play announcers found out during their game tonight and were crying on the air. That just makes my heart hurt.

RIP Mr. Flanagan
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Heather: They showed Jim Palmer in tears on the broadcast, after the game. Appartently he and Flanny were close. I really rejoyed watching Mike Flanagan pitch back in those days. I really feel for his family.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'm just reading about some of the things that were said and done after the game tonight and it's making me cry. He was definitely a beloved Oriole and he will be extremely missed by the entire organization.

And if this day couldn't be worse, it's actually Cal's birthday today. Can you imagine? What horrible news to find out on your birthday.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Orioles Hangout Write Up About Flanagan

This is a wonderful article from the managing editor of the Orioles Hangout that I felt compelled to share here tonight even though most folks here don't follow the O's on a regular basis. RIP Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Just heard on the MLB network that Mike Flanagan was found dead this afternoon. It was an apparent suicide. Flanagan mostly pitched for the Orioles and was pretty good in his time, winning 167 games according to news reports. He had been despondent over getting blamed for the team's futility.Condolences to his family/
    Don't understand this...wasn't he a broadcaster? Why would he be blamed for their futility?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Don't understand this...wasn't he a broadcaster? Why would he be blamed for their futility?
    I thought he was one of the team's co-general managers.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He worked wit their front office too. Broadcasting was kinda part time for him.
    Flanagan was a very good pitcher for the Orioles in his day. He won a Cy Young award one season. I always thought he was a good broadcaster. He had a nice easy going manner about him. I hate to hear of his death and especially if it was a suicide.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

An interesting piece from Baseball-Reference's blog today

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/14399
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Orioles Hangout Write Up About Flanagan

This is a wonderful article from the managing editor of the Orioles Hangout that I felt compelled to share here tonight even though most folks here don't follow the O's on a regular basis. RIP Mike.
    I follow that site, and the O's on a pretty regular basis Heather, as the O's are my favorite AL team. Just a terrible tragedy. Flanagan was an Oriole, through and through and a great competitor on the mound. Was a joy to watch him pitch for those Oriole teams.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Just heard on the MLB network that Mike Flanagan was found dead this afternoon. It was an apparent suicide. Flanagan mostly pitched for the Orioles and was pretty good in his time, winning 167 games according to news reports. He had been despondent over getting blamed for the team's futility.
    Condolences to his family/
    I have a hard time believing someone would be that upset over a teams futility unless he had something else going on that was mentally affecting him.

Not to make light of this tragedy but look at the franchises like the Cubs, Lions or Clippers. If any front office people should be despondent over a teams futility it should be those guys.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 08-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have a hard time believing someone would be that upset over a teams futility unless he had something else going on that was mentally affecting him.

Not to make light of this tragedy but look at the franchises like the Cubs, Lions or Clippers. If any front office people should be despondent over a teams futility it should be those guys.
    In the Oriole Hangout article the person writing said he knew Flanagan was having other problems too. So the team problems weren't the only thing going on in his life.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Was it Flanagan who BCast hired as a consultant to evaluate the minor league pitching when he first took over the club?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Jim Beattie was the consultant, I think.

It's hard for me to believe that it was way back in '79 when Flanagan won the Cy Young. It seems much more recent when he was anchoring that rotation along with McGregor and Dennis Martinez, with Tippy (and Jim Palmer) in there somewhere. I feel as if I'm mixing different eras in my mind.

Turn Off Ads?