Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - Mike Flanagan Dead

Re: OT - Mike Flanagan Dead

Only one person is responsible for the O's futility. His name is Peter Angelos -- Flanigan was not responsible.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    It's hard for me to believe that it was way back in '79 when Flanagan won the Cy Young. It seems much more recent when he was anchoring that rotation along with McGregor and Dennis Martinez, with Tippy (and Jim Palmer) in there somewhere. I feel as if I'm mixing different eras in my mind.
    I looked up the 1979 Orioles on Retrosheet. You are right on the money with those pitchers. Throw in Steve Stone and you have the mainstays of that staff and the staffs of the next few seasons with the Orioles.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's an update on Flanagan. He was apparently having some financial issues according to this report. He died of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Terribly sad.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=496&sid=2512228
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The O's first home game since Flanny died is tonight and they did a beautiful video tribute to him along with a few other touches that will go on until the end of the season. The players have a black patch with "Flanny" on it attached to the sleeves of their uniforms, they put an orange and black banner with 46 on it underneath the MASN booth, and the Orioles flag will fly at half mast for the rest of the home games. This article talks about things and also includes the MASN footage of what they did at the ballpark. Really nice tribute and apparently the Yankees and the O's both waited until the tribute was done before they took the field again. One of these days this whole thing will stop making me teary.

Link: http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_...-flanagan.html
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Not wanting to get off topic, or delve into non-baseball territory, but I understand the need to grieve, however is paying such a tribute in a way, for lack of a better word, "glamorizing" suicide?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Not wanting to get off topic, or delve into non-baseball territory, but I understand the need to grieve, however is paying such a tribute in a way, for lack of a better word, "glamorizing" suicide?
    I don't think this tribute glamorized suicide at all. They just wanted to remember the good things that Mike brought to the Orioles when he pitched for them and honor him as a longtime Oriole supporter and friend. I don't think anyone there thinks of suicide as a good thing but it wouldn't have been right for them to not do something to remember their friend this week. Most of the things I've read about this situation do the same thing: remember the man as a player, teammate, and friend, but also most people are wishing that they could have done something to help him. There's no glamour here at all IMO.

BTW-The Orioles spanked the Yanks 12-5 tonight. That had to feel good for both the players and the fans.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I don't think this tribute glamorized suicide at all. They just wanted to remember the good things that Mike brought to the Orioles when he pitched for them and honor him as a longtime Oriole supporter and friend. I don't think anyone there thinks of suicide as a good thing but it wouldn't have been right for them to not do something to remember their friend this week. Most of the things I've read about this situation do the same thing: remember the man as a player, teammate, and friend, but also most people are wishing that they could have done something to help him. There's no glamour here at all IMO.

BTW-The Orioles spanked the Yanks 12-5 tonight. That had to feel good for both the players and the fans.
    The glamour comes from wearing a patch and changing the position of the flags for the rest of the year. If they wanted to do this for a night in order to bring closure, fine but this is a tribute of honor and there's nothing honorary about what he did. Putting a bullet through your head is one of the most selfish acts one can do.

I don't see the reverence in this. The guy blew off his own face with a shotgun, and now the team is honoring him. He was a valued member of the organization, but by doing this, I'm not sure you maintain that stature.

If he had killed anyone else, would've it been OK? So why is it OK to kill yourself? He took a shotgun and blew away a human being. He robbed himself and everyone else of his future.

It's a drag that he had these demons which led himself to this. But taking a life is not generally worth a celebration.

By the way, it's proven that the more attention given to suicide, the more suicides are generated since it becomes "acceptable" to some.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Orioles considered Flanagan an important part of their history and legacy and decided to honor that, regardless of how his life ended.
    There's nothing wrong with that. What's more, I applaud the Orioles for looking past the collateral issues.

As for the stuff like:

If he had killed anyone else, would've it been OK? So why is it OK to kill yourself? He took a shotgun and blew away a human being. He robbed himself and everyone else of his future.
    We can take that discussion outside (to the non-baseball side) if you wish. I disagree with you strongly.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The Orioles considered Flanagan an important part of their history and legacy and decided to honor that, regardless of how his life ended.
    There's nothing wrong with that. What's more, I applaud the Orioles for looking past the collateral issues.

We can take that discussion outside (to the non-baseball side) if you wish. I disagree with you strongly.
    Oh yeah. I know my opinion is politically incorrect. Suffice to say, I'd never bother to go to a funeral of someone who killed himself. Per your advice, I'll move the discussion of whether the O's should honor him to the political forum.

Turn Off Ads?