Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 8/25

Birthdays- 8/25

Reds:

Darrell Johnson- The pennant-winning '61 Reds had an open wound in their lineup at catcher all season. Johnson was brought in in August, but wasn't much help. Later, of course, he became famous as the Red Sox manager.

Others:

Justin Upton (24) -Both the Upton kids were August babies.

Gary Matthews Jr. (37) -I didn't put Little Sarge in with the Reds, even though he was in the organization for a bit.

Doug Glanville (41)

Albert Belle (45) -Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Oddibe McDowell (49) -Remember when the next great outfield in the majors was going to be the Texas threesome of Incaviglia, McDowell and Sierra?

Rollie Fingers (65)

Choo Choo Coleman- Classic interview exchange:

Interviewer: "So tell me, Clarence, how did you get the nickname 'Choo Choo'?"

Coleman: "I have no idea"
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 8/25

Oddibe McDowell (49) -Remember when the next great outfield in the majors was going to be the Texas threesome of Incaviglia, McDowell and Sierra?

Where in the world did McDowell's parents come up with the name Oddibe?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Back when I thought Chris Berman had a fresh perspective on things, Oddibe "young again" McDowell was one of his best "nicknames" I heard (along with Jim "2 silhouettes on" DeShaies")

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Darrell Johnson- The pennant-winning '61 Reds had an open wound in their lineup at catcher all season. Johnson was brought in in August, but wasn't much help. Later, of course, he became famous as the Red Sox manager.

Others:

Justin Upton (24) -Both the Upton kids were August babies.

Gary Matthews Jr. (37) -I didn't put Little Sarge in with the Reds, even though he was in the organization for a bit.

Doug Glanville (41)

Albert Belle (45) -Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Rollie Fingers (65)

Choo Choo Coleman- Classic interview exchange:

Interviewer: "So tell me, Clarence, how did you get the nickname 'Choo Choo'?"

Coleman: "I have no idea"
    Born on this day also was Pea Ridge Day who pitched for 4 seasons starting in 1924. Oh, man, those nicknames from back in that era!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Born on this day also was Pea Ridge Day who pitched for 4 seasons starting in 1924. Oh, man, those nicknames from back in that era!
    Bob, I love how you've revived these threads with additional comments. Keep them coming.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-30-2014)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bob, I love how you've revived these threads with additional comments. Keep them coming.
    Thanks. I'm trying to give chico's original threads more exposure. They were great and I'm hoping more people will take a look.

Turn Off Ads?