Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Irene

Anyone else in the path of Irene? I'm in the DC area and looks like we are in the path of this huge storm. I linked the article with all the preparations going on in the DC area. I'm sure we will lose power for a while this weekend. I just hope I don't have any damage to my home. Earthquake first this week, now a hurricane. A blizzard must not be far behind?

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2513728
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Hurricane Irene

About 20 miles south of Fredericksburg not far from Lake Anna. I'm not making too many preparations other than making sure we have enough water and fresh batteries for the flashlights.

Other than a few stray tree limbs down, I don't think we are expecting much.

'cept maybe an aftershock or two...

Keep safe. Anyone in the direct path of when it is a CAT 3 or above, get out.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

As a Fl resident for 8 years, a few quick tips.

1. The NOAA tries to keep their projected tracks "conservative", as in "worst case scenario".

2. CAT 1 or 2 are ok to ride out, unless you are right on the coast. Of course, if they say "evacuate" its best to do so (unless they are ridiculous, like with Houston and Hurricane RITA). The safest place in the house, if you don't have a basement, is usually a bathroom.

3. It's not a bad idea to leave if you think power will be down for an extended period. Or even if you just want to drive up to the mountains for the weekend. If your roof blows off, you're not going to "save the furniture" by being there. Being without power can be worse the the storm itself, which usually passes over in a few hours.

4.As for IRENE, keep in mind the worst part of the storm tends to be the Northeast quadrant, which in this case will be over the sea most of the time.

5. Good luck, everyone.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    About 20 miles south of Fredericksburg not far from Lake Anna. I'm not making too many preparations other than making sure we have enough water and fresh batteries for the flashlights.

Other than a few stray tree limbs down, I don't think we are expecting much.

'cept maybe an aftershock or two...
    I live in Loudoun County. So I will be west of the storm. I am hoping that will keep me out of the worst of it.

Also some MLB games have been postponed for Sunday. The Orioles and Phillies have postponed games and will play doubleheaders tomorrow just before the storm arrives.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm in Va. Beach, couple blocks from the Chesapeake Bay. Could get dicey here, to say the least. Wife and I will probably go to my mom's house tomorrow. She's also in Va. Beach, but further from the water, and with fewer roof-threatening trees.

The specific geography of our coastline usually - USUALLY - dictates that storms veer out and don't hit our area directly, but you never know. Even without a direct hit, there will be flooding and power outages.

This guy has been uncannily accurate with storm forecasts in the past:

http://www.wxrisk.com/

Stay safe, folks!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I lived in Hampton Roads for 12 years. Seems strange given the situation that this guy hasn't updated for 24 hours. That's a lifetime in the life of a hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I lived in Hampton Roads for 12 years. Seems strange given the situation that this guy hasn't updated for 24 hours. That's a lifetime in the life of a hurricane
    He's due to post again sometime after 4 PM, so any minute perhaps.
    -Air Supply

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Latest track is putting this thing on a collision course with NC. Virginia should not be so bad. It will probably be down to storm by the time it hits NJ and NY.
    I'm seeing that they are going to evacuate parts of NYC. I think that's overreacting.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Looks like it will be a Cat 1 by the time it gets here, but that's still 85 mph winds with heavy rain. Isabel in '03 was a Cat 1 when it hit us but did plenty of damage.
    -Air Supply

The impacts are being somewhat exaggerated by the media for this 'cane, though as with any hurricane, coastal and inland flooding is a huge concern. The wind field is large, but the hurricane is down to a Cat 2 storm, and the stronger winds are on the Eastern eye wall, which will only impact the outer banks (as of now).

The only concern I do have is the possibility of severe storm surge because of piling up of water in the Chesapeake Bay and New York Harbor. That's the one aspect that could be a huge issue. Lower Manhattan could be underwater depending on where the storm comes ashore after resurfacing in the Atlantic, and whether or not it makes landfall around high-tide.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

NY is going shutdown their subway system. I hope they re-evaluate that.

This will be my first hurricane as a claims adjuster. I'm an inside adjuster so I won't have to jump roofs for this thing.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

It seems like they evacuated people living in lower lying areas because they're worried about excessive flooding. After watching everything that happened with Katrina and the flooding there, I have no problem with TPTB in NY being safe and asking people to leave the low lying areas.

Stay safe everyone who's in the path!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    NY is going shutdown their subway system. I hope they re-evaluate that.
    From what I hear, a lot of subway tracks will be flooded.

Turn Off Ads?