Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 347

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

That was the number of those in attendance at the 1st game of the double header between the Reds and Marlins the other day. This according to a fan who was there and so bored he decided to count heads. Thoughts?

No link I just saw it on Rome is burning.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: 347

I was there. No it wasn't 347. The thing is that if you had a ticket to the night game you could be at both.
    I got two bleacher tickets for the nightcap from a reseller at $5 a pop.
    My daughter and I enjoyed the games from the infield boxes.

347 was probably the amount of tickets actually sold for the first game, since previous ticketholders for Thursday's game automatically received a "rain check"
    Last edited by oneupper; 08-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I was there. No it wasn't 347. The thing is that if you had a ticket to the night game you could be at both.
    I got two bleacher tickets for the nightcap from a reseller at $5 a pop.
    My daughter and I enjoyed the games from the infield boxes.

347 was probably the amount of tickets actually sold for the first game, since previous ticketholders for Thursday's game automatically received a "rain check"
    What do you mean? Are you saying there were more or less? Cause looking at the shots of the stadium/seats I can buy it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

These are pictures taken during that game so I can believe the 347 number:

There was more than 347.They're not showing the infield boxes, where most of the people were. That said, probably not more than 2000 for that game.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

A picture of the home plate area would mean more than a shot of the least populated area

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18404075
    You see quite a bit of the stands as Frazier comes across home. Definitely more than 347, at least by the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18404075
    You see quite a bit of the stands as Frazier comes across home. Definitely more than 347, at least by the end of the game.
    That was past 6:30, IIRC. People were coming in for the nightcap already.

Worth The Wait

Combination of one of America's worst sports cities, two bad teams playing out the string, and a game that wasn't originally schedule for that timeslot. A perfect storm for a yawnfest.

New stadium will be ready next year. Not nearly as convenient as this one for me, but I'd expect it to fill up initially at least.
    Sun Life isn't such a nice place for a ballgame.

Oddly enough, they reported around 21,000; same for the game the previous night.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Maybe there was a couple thousand late comers.

From Yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp17025

According to @790Justin, there was an unofficial headcount of 347 fans in the stands for the first pitch of Wednesday's doubleheader at Sun Life Stadium. Justin Cohen counted five sections with three or fewer people in it and three completely empty sections. The Marlins haven't announced the official attendance, but it likely won't challenge the record of the smallest crowd in modern history (believed to be 653 during a Oakland Athletics game in 1979).

That's because the Marlins will count all of the tickets that were sold, not just the number of fans that moved through the turnstiles. Back in 2007, someone counted 375 fans in the stands for the first pitch of an afternoon Marlins game in mid-September and the "official" attendance announced by the team was still 10,121.

UPDATE: The Marlins must see dead people. They announced the doubleheader's official attendance as 22,505 fans.

--Woody Hayes

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    New stadium will be ready next year. Not nearly as convenient as this one for me, but I'd expect it to fill up initially at least.
    Sun Life isn't such a nice place for a ballgame.
    Florida has terrible baseball fans. Not even three world series appearances and two trophies has ever bumped the needle for either the Rays or the Marlins.

Honestly, I find it embarrassing. They could put the team in San Antonio, or Charlotte or wherever, and get better numbers.

Miami is going to have the nicest empty stadium in baseball next year.

Marlins did draw 3 million in 93 and were 5th in attendance in 97, they have though done a good job of telling fans to say home by constantly whining about the stadium, same thing the Rays have done.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

The win-and-burn-it-down strategy takes a toll.

Turn Off Ads?