Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MVP is back

MVP is back

After a big game yesterday and a good few weeks votto is back at the top of the NL, he leads in OPS and OBP, 4th in Slugging, 3rd in AVG, and is just 1 HR outside the top 10. If he stays hot he could end the year with the best numbers in the NL, however with us looking like a 3rd place team I doubt he has much of a shot at his second MVP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MVP is back

Interesting Fangraphs article today that throws Halladay's name out there for NL MVP. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ay-for-nl-mvp/

I found this portion of the article interesting:

The American League MVP race may currently be receiving more publicity, but the NL MVP race is just as exciting. Although Roy Halladay leads the NL in WAR with 6.9, Shane Victorino, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp and Troy Tulowitzki aren’t far behind. Looking at the recent trends, one of the position players mentioned is most likely to take home the hardware once the season ends — most likely Victorino or Upton since they play on contending teams.
    Votto is ahead of all of the guys mentioned in WAR (except Halladay) but gets no mention in the MVP discussion. If Kemp and Tulowitzki are in the conversation on third and fourth place teams, shouldn't Votto be as well?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

i saw on baseball tonight the other day where tim kircher(sp)had him in his top 5 or 6.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    After a big game yesterday and a good few weeks votto is back at the top of the NL, he leads in OPS and OBP, 4th in Slugging, 3rd in AVG, and is just 1 HR outside the top 10. If he stays hot he could end the year with the best numbers in the NL, however with us looking like a 3rd place team I doubt he has much of a shot at his second MVP.
    He also leads in walks! He has made some impressive adjustments. He was being interviewed and talking about how he's not being pitched to as much this year and said he was actually a better player then last year and proud of the adjustments he's made. How cool to have one of the top players in baseball for at least 2 more years. I hope Walt realizes this and makes the roster improvements that can push this team back into the playoffs.

In defense of all the "experts" for the first half of the year Votto played great but probably not at MVP level, I think if he keeps it up for the rest of the season and we creep up into 2nd place which I think is very possible he will start getting some serious consideration for MVP.

Cruisin' for trouble

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...votto/related/

Looks like someone is paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...votto/related/

Looks like someone is paying attention.
    That is good to see. To me the argument over Votto for MVP is similar to the argument over King Felix last year: how much should team success factor into the discussion?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He is a Hall of Fame talent.

I have a hard time liking him or getting attached to him because he does not want to be here.

It's been fun watching him the past few years. I'll miss him.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

I have a hard time liking him or getting attached to him because he does not want to be here.

How will you miss him if you have a hard time liking him now?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

Not wanting to make a long-term commitment in the offseason does not equal not wanting to be in Cincinnati. He's simply leaving his options open. It's the smart move. One MVP-caliber season would have certainly brought him a good payday. Two straight MVP-caliber seasons, like he has now produced, bring him an even bigger payday. By signing a long-term contract after last season, he would have been leaving a lot of money on the table, and he knew that. Even if playing in Cincinnati is his absolute desire and he could never dream of playing anywhere else, not signing a LTC after last season was the smart business decision.

Anyway, I do not understand why so many people would be upset with Votto for potentially wanting leave Cincinnati and play in Toronto. I certainly understand that mindset, seeing as how I have zero desire to practice my profession (upon finishing school and residency, which, unfortunately, is still about six years down the road) anywhere but my hometown. Some people just love their home and don't really want to be anywhere else; that's no reason to dislike someone. Enjoy Votto while he's here, and hope he stays, but don't be angry with the guy if he doesn't. That being said, would I be disappointed if he left? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Anyway, I do not understand why so many people would be upset with Votto for potentially wanting leave Cincinnati and play in Toronto. I certainly understand that mindset, seeing as how I have zero desire to practice my profession (upon finishing school and residency, which, unfortunately, is still about six years down the road) anywhere but my hometown. Some people just love their home and don't really want to be anywhere else; that's no reason to dislike someone. Enjoy Votto while he's here, and hope he stays, but don't be angry with the guy if he doesn't. That being said, would I be disappointed if he left? Absolutely.
    Playing in your hometown is a huge draw. Of course, so is winning and so is a bigger paycheck; everyone weights these factors differently and I don't begrudge a player their best interests.

So many folks that are critical of Votto for "wanting to leave" will praise Pete Rose to high heaven in the same breath. You know, the same Pete Rose who left his hometown to play elsewhere. I make no bones about the fact I'm a huge Votto fan, and I'll continue to pull for him if he is in a Toronto uniform in three years. It is easy for me to understand why he might like to leave. I love Cincinnati and love the Reds, but if the opportunity to return to my home state and do what I love arose, I just might have to take it. And so might the MVP. These are people we are talking about, not robots.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Playing in your hometown is a huge draw. Of course, so is winning and so is a bigger paycheck; everyone weights these factors differently and I don't begrudge a player their best interests.

So many folks that are critical of Votto for "wanting to leave" will praise Pete Rose to high heaven in the same breath. You know, the same Pete Rose who left his hometown to play elsewhere. I make no bones about the fact I'm a huge Votto fan, and I'll continue to pull for him if he is in a Toronto uniform in three years. It is easy for me to understand why he might like to leave. I love Cincinnati and love the Reds, but if the opportunity to return to my home state and do what I love arose, I just might have to take it. And so might the MVP. These are people we are talking about, not robots.
    Well said. A lot of people that get upset about an athlete leaving their favorite team to make more money would probably leave their current job if another job offer with a much higher salary were to present itself. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Cruisin' for trouble

There is nothing wrong with Votto stating that he wants to test free agency - that certainly is his right. And I have yet to hear him actually state that he prefers playing for any specific team, including the Reds or the Blue Jays.

But stating that he wants to test free agency might as well be a declaration that he does not plan to play for the Reds. They simply cannot compete with other teams in constructing a contract for Joey and should not, considering the financial burden.

The Reds should absolutely trade Joey this offseason. No emotion, no hard feelings; just plain common sense. They will never get more for him than they will get this particular offseason. Joey should be parlayed into significant pieces the Reds need to fill in, abeit pitching, shortstop, LF and leadoff.

This has nothing to do with Alonso, it has to do with advanced planning. The Reds are better off getting something for Joey now than waiting for him to walk in a couple of years.

The Reds won't be able to match other teams in money for Votto. Nor should they, as a contract the likes of which Votto could command could hamstring this team for a decade.

That said, the minor leagues are producing good, cheap talent at a pretty remarkable rate. Is it too much out of the realm of possibility to think that those cheap, controllable players could play around one bellweather MVP talent in order to produce pennants?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Meh. I say we try and trade him for a guy that (IMO) is obviously a PED user.

Turn Off Ads?