Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty talks to hear himself talk..

Dusty talks to hear himself talk..

Over the winter he should try out for The Last Comic Standing.

Here is his latest gem:

“That’s every team’s goal: A winning season,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “The organization’s goal is to have two winning seasons in a row. When the last time, they organization had had two winning seasons in the row here?”
    So all year long Reds management has just been shooting for a winning season? Really? No wonder no moves have been made. I wonder if Dusty would have said he would settle for 82 wins back in Spring Training? Dusty, this season stinks. And you can spin all you want it still is gonna stink. I can hear Dusty now, "Hey, we are in third, double-digits out of the lead, but we can still finish with a winning season!" If that doesn't rally the troops nothing will. I can see the fans flocking to GABP to see if the Reds can climb that mountain to reach the .500 summit. I know all SunDeck is on the edge of its collective seat, awaiting with bated breath that magic moment when this club climbs back to the break-even point. Incredible.

PS Dusty, here is a newsflash for you. A lot of organizations are aiming for a much higher goal than a winning season. The Reds in 2011 should have been one of them.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty talks to hear himself talk..

He is a sick man, if he wants a winning season perhaps he should rest janish and lewis

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Over the winter he should try out for The Last Comic Standing.

Here is his latest gem:

So all year long Reds management has just been shooting for a winning season? Really? No wonder no moves have been made. I wonder if Dusty would have said he would settle for 82 wins back in Spring Training? Dusty, this season stinks. And you can spin all you want it still is gonna stink. I can hear Dusty now, "Hey, we are in third, double-digits out of the lead, but we can still finish with a winning season!" If that doesn't rally the troops nothing will. I can see the fans flocking to GABP to see if the Reds can climb that mountain to reach the .500 summit. I know all SunDeck is on the edge of its collective seat, awaiting with bated breath that magic moment when this club climbs back to the break-even point. Incredible.

PS Dusty, here is a newsflash for you. A lot of organizations are aiming for a much higher goal than a winning season. The Reds in 2011 should have been one of them.
    While this season has been largely disappointing, what do you expect Dusty to say here? "Oh well, we tried, but it's over now."?

Granted, we're not coming close to sniffing a playoff appearance. But wanting our manager to take the same attitude that some of us naysayers have is a little ridiculous. For a fan, it's obviously less fun once your team is out of it. But the team still has to play the games anyway.

We also need to let our youngsters get a chance to prove what they got. That being said, we need to have Alonso in the lineup more days than not to get a proper evaluation. That is on Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    While this season has been largely disappointing, what do you expect Dusty to say here? "Oh well, we tried, but it's over now."?

Granted, we're not coming close to sniffing a playoff appearance. But wanting our manager to take the same attitude that some of us naysayers have is a little ridiculous. For a fan, it's obviously less fun once your team is out of it. But the team still has to play the games anyway.

We also need to let our youngsters get a chance to prove what they got. That being said, we need to have Alonso in the lineup more days than not to get a proper evaluation. That is on Dusty.
    What do I expect from Dusty? Nothing.
    I would find it refreshing to get an honest answer every once in awhile instead of spin, spin and more spin.
    I, and probably the majority of fans, could probably not care less if this team finishes with a winning record. And I would hope at this point in a season gone awry that somehow struggling to finish above .500 is not the primary goal.
    This team needs to answer as many questions as it can with regards to the 2012 season in the games that it has left. If that is not the primary goal at this juncture I would be disappointed. With the management we have in place I sometimes wonder.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I am all for bashing Dusty when needed, but this isn't one of those cases, you talk to any manager and ask him the same question and you get the same answer. come on if you are going to go after Dusty at least pick a legit reason.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am all for bashing Dusty when needed, but this isn't one of those cases, you talk to any manager and ask him the same question and you get the same answer. come on if you are going to go after Dusty at least pick a legit reason.
    First, as I said in another thread if you try to justify something by saying everyone else does it then you have given no justification.

Second, I am no fan of spin. And this is pure spin.

Third, if this organization's goal at this time is to have a winning season, then they, once again, have their priorities screwed up.

And an organization with screwed-up priorities is a valid enough reason to be bashed.

IMO a simple, "This season did not go as planned and now the focus is on getting ready for 2012" would have been a much better, much more honest response.

Some people will disagree. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.

well spoken

And while I'm at it let me just add this; it would have been really nice to win back-to-back division titles. How long has that been? But I didn't see this organization do anything substantial over the winter or at the deadline to make that happen. So don't go try selling me on the idea that now, somehow, back-to-back winning seasons are something so wonderful. IMO there is not one iota difference if this team wins 80 games or 82 games.

precisely opined

Isn't that essentially what Dusty was saying though? This team came into the season with serious playoff expectations. They didn't come into the season just trying to finish above .500. I didn't read anything from Dusty even remotely close to saying they still think they have a shot to make the playoffs. Dusty is shooting for a winning record now. He feels a winning record will be fine and dandy. So, yes, Dusty basically said, "We tried but we failed. It's over now so far as the playoffs are concerned; so now we will shoot for a lesser goal.".

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Dusty Bobblehead says ''Man that was a big hit''.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

big time that hit was huge, in fact it was really a big time huge move to play freddie lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    Dusty Bobblehead says ''Man that was a big hit''.
    I would rather the Reds were managed by a Dusty Bobblehead or by a Magic 8 Ball than by the real Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    He is a sick man, if he wants a winning season perhaps he should rest janish and lewis
    Hey lay off my boy Janish. At the plate he's slowed down his gum chewing to just 3x his heart rate, has his left eye almost three quarters open, and when he swings his left wrist breaks down only half the time now. Seriously, his defense, although sometimes spectaculer, doesn't make up for his ineptness at the palte.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds are thinking about firing Dusty and sticking a 6' tall toothpick on the steps of the dugout. They're hoping for better results.

Turn Off Ads?