Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Wont Quit on 2011

Re: Dusty Wont Quit on 2011

This whole "once you're out of the playoff race the season is over and wins are meaningless" is a new thing in baseball, and isn't appropriate to the sport. That is more of a NBA or NFL thing. In baseball you play every game to win. In theory every game is a "championship" game if you look at the writing on the baseball. Regular season statistics have meaning. Players like Ernie Banks go into the HOF based entirely on regular season performance. Important records like the Ruth/Maris/Bonds HR record are based on regular season performance.

In other words, Votto could still win the batting title. Cueto could lead the league in ERA. Bruce could finish towards the top of the HR leaders, after making the Allstar team for the 1st time. In hindsight that is a pretty good accomplishment for his age. There are many things to still be excited about and reasons to watch the game. Of course we wish that we were in the pennant race, but the Brewers have been hot and are going to win the division. That's how it goes sometimes. But is the Reds finish 2nd with a winning record, after having 4 players make the Allstar team, and Votto and Cueto possibly having memorable seasons, you can't say the season was such a disaster. Too much gloom and doom on this board and spoiled fans not appreciating how hard it is to have success.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I gotta admit...I know these games are largely meaningless, but I would love to finish ahead of St. Louis.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I agree Fred Lewis is a joke, I despise him. The starting lineup EVERYDAY should be

Sappelt LF
    Cozart-SS
    Votto 1B
    Phillips-2B
    Bruce RF
    Cairo-Yes Cairo-3B
    Stubbs-CF
    Hernandez/Hannigan-C
    Sappelt is only up here because Heisey is injured. Heisey should be back very soon according to Hal Mccoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    But is the Reds finish 2nd with a winning record, after having 4 players make the Allstar team, and Votto and Cueto possibly having memorable seasons, you can't say the season was such a disaster. Too much gloom and doom on this board and spoiled fans not appreciating how hard it is to have success.

Wrong- this season has been a disaster. And winning some meaningless games in September isn't going to change that. And if there's one thing Reds fans are not, its "spoiled".

the season is an abomination with dozens of winnable games booted away

Another baseball tradition is playing the kids late in the season when a team is obviously out of it. For a lot of fans seeing what the kids from the minors can do at the major league represents hope. And, in many cases, it is the main driver of excitement late in failed seasons. And, make no mistake, this is a failed season for this team.

but no, I must see Renteria, I mean lewis, I mean cairo, I mean hernandez, I mean masset, I mean ondruzek

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I gotta admit...I know these games are largely meaningless, but I would love to finish ahead of St. Louis.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    I don't think the season is an abomination, but too many winnable games have been blown. It is a young team, and I think they need to win as many games as possible. I don't want to see the same problems next year.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

It is so obvious that it's more important for Dusty Baker to be able to say he finshed over .500 (this man is all about stats) than to get this club ready for next year.

This guy is a joke. Him starting Fred Lewis in any game for the rest of this season should result in his emmediate firing.

God we have a horrible manager. The most mismatched, bad fit, managerial situation in all of baseball.

These wins mean nothing. These wins are about Dusty Baker wanting to make sure his record as Reds manager is as close to .500 as possible.

Never have we ever had a manager that is as bad a fit & is as bad for the developement of young players that Dusty Baker.
    You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Wrong- this season has been a disaster. And winning some meaningless games in September isn't going to change that. And if there's one thing Reds fans are not, its "spoiled".
    Bullseye. What an ass Baker is. Who gives a crap whether we finish a few over or a few under .500. Only LOSERS think like that. We should be getting young players ready to compete next year.

that comment is big time, the observation is huge,

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    This whole "once you're out of the playoff race the season is over and wins are meaningless" is a new thing in baseball, and isn't appropriate to the sport. That is more of a NBA or NFL thing. In baseball you play every game to win. In theory every game is a "championship" game if you look at the writing on the baseball. Regular season statistics have meaning. Players like Ernie Banks go into the HOF based entirely on regular season performance. Important records like the Ruth/Maris/Bonds HR record are based on regular season performance.

In other words, Votto could still win the batting title. Cueto could lead the league in ERA. Bruce could finish towards the top of the HR leaders, after making the Allstar team for the 1st time. In hindsight that is a pretty good accomplishment for his age. There are many things to still be excited about and reasons to watch the game. Of course we wish that we were in the pennant race, but the Brewers have been hot and are going to win the division. That's how it goes sometimes. But is the Reds finish 2nd with a winning record, after having 4 players make the Allstar team, and Votto and Cueto possibly having memorable seasons, you can't say the season was such a disaster. Too much gloom and doom on this board and spoiled fans not appreciating how hard it is to have success.
    Are you Ricky Bobby's daddy?

"If you're not first, you're last."

"I never said that. That don't even make no sense. You could be second, third, fourth...."

BTW good post, I pretty much agree. Otherwise there would be no such thing as Cubs or Indians fans, etc.

Baseball was, is and always will be a team sport. Joey Baseball is my favorite player but he would have to give the MVP Trophy back, Johnny Cueto is a bonafide ace but he would have to return the Cy Young Award and any other player winning individual awards would have to toss them on the pile if it meant a playoff berth for the Reds. Those three playoff games against the Phillies were ambrosia for this thirsty fan.
    Sorry. Winning a few extra games means nothing compared to getting ready for the 2012 season.

Turn Off Ads?