Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Wont Quit on 2011

Dusty Wont Quit on 2011

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

It is so obvious that it's more important for Dusty Baker to be able to say he finshed over .500 (this man is all about stats) than to get this club ready for next year.

This guy is a joke. Him starting Fred Lewis in any game for the rest of this season should result in his emmediate firing.

God we have a horrible manager. The most mismatched, bad fit, managerial situation in all of baseball.

These wins mean nothing. These wins are about Dusty Baker wanting to make sure his record as Reds manager is as close to .500 as possible.

Never have we ever had a manager that is as bad a fit & is as bad for the developement of young players that Dusty Baker.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Dusty Wont Quit on 2011

Definitely need a change. These guys are on holiday/vacation time with toothpick manning the ship.

If his selfishness leads to wins, I hope he gets extra selfish next year because he's been very giving this year in my opinion lol.

Alonso is so bad out there that it's almost an insult to the game. Dusty doesn't want the circus and I don't blame him.

People didn't pay big league prices to see Spring Training, put the guys out there who you think will win you the most games. It's important to put together some semblance of momentum as an organization with back to back winning seasons.

I agree Fred Lewis is a joke, I despise him. The starting lineup EVERYDAY should be

Sappelt LF
    Cozart-SS
    Votto 1B
    Phillips-2B
    Bruce RF
    Cairo-Yes Cairo-3B
    Stubbs-CF
    Hernandez/Hannigan-C

It might not mean anything to you, but I'm assuming it means a lot to the players to go out there and try to finish the year on a high note. I don't think they want to abandon the year. That doesn't mean we can't play young guys, which we have been, it means that we still should be trying to win games.

Sappelt has been getting a lot of playing time. So far he's shown to be an average hitter, lazy defender, and bad base runner. He's not exactly taking advantage of his opportunity.

My only real gripe is the lack of PT for Alonso, I think he will at least play hard and give it his all. That is all we can ask from him for now, and with his bat I think it would be worth giving him more of a look.

And to the poster above me, Cozart would be our everyday SS but he got hurt. Phillips has been money in the leadoff spot, and Sappelt was bad in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It might not mean anything to you, but I'm assuming it means a lot to the players to go out there and try to finish the year on a high note. I don't think they want to abandon the year. That doesn't mean we can't play young guys, which we have been, it means that we still should be trying to win games.
    Only young guys he is playing he is being forced to play because of injuries

Hi-C being out has forced Sappelt to get playing time, but Fred still gets most of the playing time

Frazier is playing because Rolen is out, Frazier a .260 AAA hitter that translated into a .236 ML hitter. Why on earth is Juan Francisco still in AAA. He has had a better season than Frazier or Yonder.

Juan Francisco has the best arm in the International League according to Baseball America. Maybe the Reds are afraid Francisco will prove he is better than Rolen even when Rolen is healthy and they do not want the media fallout

This season is over

Assume the Brewers completely collapse and play .300 ball the rest of the way

The Reds would have to go 23-7 the rest of the way just to tie with the brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post

Hi-C being out has forced Sappelt to get playing time, but Fred still gets most of the playing time

Frazier is playing because Rolen is out, Frazier a .260 AAA hitter that translated into a .236 ML hitter. Why on earth is Juan Francisco still in AAA. He has had a better season than Frazier or Yonder.

Juan Francisco has the best arm in the International League according to Baseball America. Maybe the Reds are afraid Francisco will prove he is better than Rolen even when Rolen is healthy and they do not want the media fallout
    He plays Stubbs everyday. Bruce everyday. Gave Cozart the starting job after calling him up. Ended up giving Heisey the everyday LF job. Was playing Sappelt in LF everyday. He's finding ways to play Frazier a lot.

Like I said, my only gripe is about Alonso. I think it's obvious Walt and Dusty aren't on the same page there or he wouldn't be up here. When you're a late call-up like Sappelt you better make sure that none of your mistakes are hustle related.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He plays Stubbs everyday. Bruce everyday. Gave Cozart the starting job after calling him up. Ended up giving Heisey the everyday LF job. Was playing Sappelt in LF everyday. He's finding ways to play Frazier a lot.
    He has no other CF

Bruce has a LTC so he will play everyday

Cozart got the starts 75% of the time for a grand total of 16 days

Hi-C got the job because Walt traded Gomes, no other reason

If Rolen was healthy Frazier would not play at all

One way or another if a young player is getting regular playing time on this team it is because Dusty has limited options

Yes it is vital to expose Lewis because he has great potential

He has no other CF

Bruce has a LTC so he will play everyday

Cozart got the starts 75% of the time for a grand total of 16 days

Hi-C got the job because Walt traded Gomes, no other reason

If Rolen was healthy Frazier would not play at all

One way or another if a young player is getting regular playing time on this team it is because Dusty has limited options
    I was just posting young guys that we play. I hear so much about Dusty not playing young guys but all I see on our team is young guys. Cozart's injury was unfortunate, but he was indeed brought up to be our starting SS. Gomes wasn't even close to being an everyday player before he got traded so I have no idea what would make you think that affected Heisey.

Well yeah, obviously about Rolen. That's kind of how baseball works though, a veteran gets injured and then a young unknown gets an opportunity. It's not like Frazier's stats would warrant him jumping everyone ahead of him or anything. But unlike others, he was given the opportunity and is making the best out of it. He's versatile and plays hard.

I just think it is funny that heisey is no longer a young player because now someone younger is up. Dusty is not anti young players, he is pro his guys whether they be old like Rolen, Cairo or young like Stubbs, Cueto, Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Leake. I am not saying this is right or wrong but, I just think you have to ignore an awful lot of reality to determine he is anti young player. Not to mention he played the only young player, Cozart, he was given before the latest wave of youngsters. While I am not crazy about Dusty, even though I don't blame him for every single loss, I am far more frustrated with Walt this year. The Hernandez thing was the last straw. Outside of Rolen and Cairo, what has walt done. And for those of you who believe dusty is the single worst manager in the history of the world, why doesn't walt see what you all see and fire dusty.

I'm far from a Dusty Baker fan, but what would you expect him to do?

By and large managers are judged by their win-loss records and as a result it's not surprising that Baker (or most other MLB managers) would be inclined to put a team on the field that gives the team the best opportunity to win. As a fan who wants the club to act in their best long-term interest, I'd rather sacrifice a few wins to play some of the younger guys to see who can be a solution going forward but I have a tough time faulting a guy whose livelihood depends on winning for not doing so.

[QUOTE=Crumbley;2472870]Alonso is so bad out there that it's almost an insult to the game. Dusty doesn't want the circus and I don't blame him.
    QUOTE]

I think its very reasonable to make such a judgment based on 3 games in Wrigley field. Just like it was reasonable to put Cozart in the HOF based on the handful of games he played.

Turn Off Ads?