Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hernandez placed on waivers by Reds

Hernandez placed on waivers by Reds

Remember this does not mean he has been released.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...n-waivers.html
    The Reds have placed catcher Ramon Hernandez on waivers, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). Tim Dierkes listed Hernandez as one of his August trade candidates at the top of the month.

In late July, there was talk that the Reds were listening on offers for Hernandez, but GM Walt Jocketty said that the veteran would be staying put just prior to the deadline. In 286 plate appearances for the Reds this year, the 35-year-old is hitting .292/.350/.465 with eleven homeruns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hernandez placed on waivers by Reds

Sell, Sell, Sell
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Given his Type A status, he has some real value.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So, any chance someone takes a stab at him before he reaches the Giants or Braves?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    So, any chance someone takes a stab at him before he reaches the Giants or Braves?
    Diamondbacks might place a claim simply to block him from reaching the Giants.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    And what would stop the REDS from letting them just take him?
    They're not getting the draft pick, because they're not going to offer arbitration.
    (or am I missing something?)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Actually, I'm wrong on this score. With the Diamondbacks currently being ahead of the Giants in the NL West standings, the Diamondbacks can't place a blocking claim on Hernandez. Only a team with a worse records than the Giants could do so, say, the Rockies.

Sorry about the mixup. I remembered that preference fell to the weaker team, but somehow forgot that the Diamondbacks -- even after their recent skid --are still atop the Giants.

If you believe some of the other RZ threads (namely John Buck and his case of the yips), maybe the Marlins will be in the market for a new catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    They're not getting the draft pick, because they're not going to offer arbitration.
    The Reds will almost surely offer him arbitration. And he's likely to decline it. And as @jluckhaupt said on twitter:

I doubt Hernandez would accept arb from #Reds. There will be a starting gig for available for a catcher that hit .295/.357/.445 last 2 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The fact that they would be losing a good player on a bargain contract for nothing? The fact that it would weaken the club for the rest of the season for no reason? If the Reds just let him go on a waiver claim, I'd say I'm DEFINITELY missing something.

And I'm not at all convinced they won't offer arbitration. I would. If he accepts, you have a good player for another year and buy at least another half-season of prep time for Mes. That's not a bad thing.

If he accepts, you have a good player for another year and buy at least another half-season of prep time for Mes.
    Mesoraco's ready. You don't hold him back any longer. Hernandez has played very well, but he's a bad knee away from losing all value. Time to cash him in -- either now or after the season (provided they're confident he won't accept arbitration).

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Mesoraco's ready. You don't hold him back any longer. Hernandez has played very well, but he's a bad knee away from losing all value. Time to cash him in -- either now or after the season (provided they're confident he won't accept arbitration).
    I'm with you on this score. Hernandez has played extremely well for the Reds. But bringing him back another year would be pressing our luck. He is no spring chicken and he is, in fact, showing some signs of slowing down, particularly on defense but also offense as the season goes on.

If we didn't have Mesoraco waiting in the wings, we might need to take the risk and negotiate another one-year extension with Hernandez. But Mesoraco is ready, and looks quite capable, so there's no point in bringing Hernandez back in the fold for 2012, especially not with Hanigan remaining on a favorable contract to split time with Mesoraco.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'm sorry, I'm lost.
    Why wouldn't Ramon accept arbitration?
    He's making $3 million this year.
    He could shoot for $4-5 million in arb. after his fine year.
    What would he expect to make as a FA?
    Is a long term deal an option at his age?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The Reds will almost surely offer him arbitration. And he's likely to decline it. And as @jluckhaupt said on twitter:
    I disagree very strongly on both counts.

No one would give up their first pick to sign Hernandez.

He'd have more value as a B type, as then I would likely offer arbitration.

If Rhodes could get a 2 year deal worth 4 mil per, I'd think Ramon could get 2 and 10 with a 3rd year option.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?