Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Callups

September Callups

Saw a variation of this thread on the Sundeck and figured it was a worthy topic of conversation for the Old Red Guard.

First, predict which Reds minor league players on the 40-man roster will get a callup. Secondly, will Mesoraco be placed on the expanded roster so he can get a taste of the Big Leagues this season or will his debut be postponed until 2012? Finally, any other guys on the bubble besides Mesoraco you'd like to see in September?

I'll kick the exercise off by predicting we see IF-OF Francisco, OF Hermida, SP Volquez and Wood, and relievers Horst and Fisher.

I would like to see Mesoraco come up, but wouldn't be surprised if he has to wait, seeing as how the team has retained Hernandez for the duration of this season.

Guys on the bubble who might or might not get the call (with there only bring so many opportunities to spread around among the players): INF Valaika (who's been hot again lately) reliever Burton (injured most of the season) and Phipps (really hot, but not yet on the 40-man roster).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: September Callups

One side question: The rosters can expand Sept. 1. Will the Reds summon their callups that soon or just wait until the Louisville Bats' season officially ends on Sept. 5?

I don't have the insider scoop, but my hunch is: We might see Heisey return from his DL stint by Sept. 1 and possibly a reliever to supplement our tiring bullpen but we probably won't see any other Bats' reinforcements until after Sept. 5. Again, I don't have a clue what will happen and when, that's just a guess, based on how the Reds have proceeded in years past.

The Bats aren't making the playoffs this season, unlike the past three, so that may play a role in how long they wait to call guys up.

There's one other Bat I forgot who could be on the bubble for a September callup: reliever Bradley Boxberger. He's not currently on the 40-man roster, so his chances for a summons this season would appear to be slim.

But on the flip side, Boxberger is being touted as a possible future closer or setup man for the Reds. And he has compiled a nifty 1.80 ERA over his last 10 game appearances going back to August 1. Perhaps the Reds will be interested enough to get an advance look-see that they might jettison someone else off the 40-man roster.

I know, I'd want to see what kind of positive impact he might have in the bullpen before possibly shelling out a few million this winter on a free-agent reliever or two. Our pen this season was strong coming out of the chute, but did get run ragged and burnt before the year ran its course, with so many starters down or unable to pitch long into games.

I'd say at least one or two from among Burton, Smith, Fisher and Horst and possibly Volquez and/or Wood. Francisco and maybe Hermida. I had thought Rolen would go to the 60-day to make room for Mes, but it sounds like he plans on playing again this season, so maybe they drop Negron from the 40-man.

Maloney?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    Saw a variation of this thread on the Sundeck and figured it was a worthy topic of conversation for the Old Red Guard.

First, predict which Reds minor league players on the 40-man roster will get a callup. Secondly, will Mesoraco be placed on the expanded roster so he can get a taste of the Big Leagues this season or will his debut be postponed until 2012? Finally, any other guys on the bubble besides Mesoraco you'd like to see in September?

I'll kick the exercise off by predicting we see IF-OF Francisco, OF Hermida, SP Volquez and Wood, and relievers Horst and Fisher.

I would like to see Mesoraco come up, but wouldn't be surprised if he has to wait, seeing as how the team has retained Hernandez for the duration of this season.

Guys on the bubble who might or might not get the call (with there only bring so many opportunities to spread around among the players): INF Valaika (who's been hot again lately) reliever Burton (injured most of the season) and Phipps (really hot, but not yet on the 40-man roster).
    Mes is going to get called up. Corky is hurt and every team brings up a third catcher in September.

Fisher, to me, is someone they could take off the 40. That's just me though.

Burton will likely be called up as well. No reason not to.

And as for Phipps, I'm almost certain he'll be called up in September.

Why bother with September callups when Dusty is just going to play Cairo and Lewis most days? Obviously, the Reds are right in the thick of nothing and should try to win as many games as possible. Clearly, Cairo and Lewis are too good to take out of the lineup for young players with actual potential. Dusty knows those young guys can't help when he has mediocrity to play everyday...

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Mes is going to get called up. Corky is hurt and every team brings up a third catcher in September.
    Fisher, to me, is someone they could take off the 40. That's just me though.
    Burton will likely be called up as well. No reason not to.
    And as for Phipps, I'm almost certain he'll be called up in September.
    Burton's on the 60 Day DL right? So if he gets activated that means someone else is off the 40. Not necessarily a big deal, but it may make a difference in who else is called up.

I'd really love for Burton to be right again.
    I'm sure Meseraco is coming up. I'd think another pitcher or two.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red;2474092[B
    ]Burton's on the 60 Day DL right? So if he gets activated that means someone else is off the 40. Not necessarily a big deal, but it may make a difference in who else is called up.
    [/B]
    I'd really love for Burton to be right again.
    I'm sure Meseraco is coming up. I'd think another pitcher or two.
    Valiquette was released, making room for Burton, who was optioned to Triple-A last week.

Ah, that's right. I remember Valiquette being released, but never heard who replaced him.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

-The Insider-

It was pretty much assumed that it would open up a spot for Burton on the 40.

I'd love to see Mesoraco get a chance to work with the pitching staff the rest of the season but there is no way in hell Dusty will let that happen, after all Hernandez should be healthy in a few days.

I want to see Mes up, Grandal is on the 40-man but I do not see him being called up before Mes. My question is who would we drop (or place on the 60 day DL) to get Mes on the 40-man? Negron? He is batting .202 at Louisville right now with 400 AB's.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'd love to see Mesoraco get a chance to work with the pitching staff the rest of the season but there is no way in hell Dusty will let that happen, after all Hernandez should be healthy in a few days.
    IMO there's no need to bring up Mez. Dusty won't play him. He's proven that by letting Alonso rot on the bench. I suppose Mez could hold down one end of the bench while Alonso holds the other end down. That seems to be the only purpose that Dusty sees in these young guys.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?