Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Help with Xbox360 question

Help with Xbox360 question

I'm thinking of gettiing my son a Xbox 250 GB for his birthday. BestBuy is offering a 75 buck discount card with it this week. Question is the specs say the wifi is 802.11n but my wireless is 802.11b and 802.11g . It;s a Westell gateway from Frontier/Verizon. Is this a problem? I don't really understand wireless, but I've been able to get our Ipods, Wii, and laptop to connect wirelessly. Anyone know about this?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Help with Xbox360 question

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I'm thinking of gettiing my son a Xbox 250 GB for his birthday. BestBuy is offering a 75 buck discount card with it this week. Question is the specs say the wifi is 802.11n but my wireless is 802.11b and 802.11g . It;s a Westell gateway from Frontier/Verizon. Is this a problem? I don't really understand wireless, but I've been able to get our Ipods, Wii, and laptop to connect wirelessly. Anyone know about this?
    WiFi is, for the most part, backwards compatible with older networks. 802.11n is one of the newer standards, but an 802.11n transmitter/receiver will still connect to an older 802.11b or 802.11g router -- it just won't get the benefits of an 802.11n network (longer range, for example).

I'd buy the Xbox with 99.9% certainty that it'll connect to your network with no problems.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

My son's Xbox 360 is connected to my Wireless G network with no problems.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

You shouldn't have any problems.
    Just make sure you have the online game connection enabled so it doesn't cut off when playing games online.
    I had that problem when I first got a good enough connection to play online and found out I had to enable it through the westell admin panel.

Nerdvana Annihilation

Everyone is right, You will be able to connect to your wireless B/G network with wireless N.

I bought one yesterday. On the box in the fine print is says it is compatible with 802.1/ b/g/n. Thanks for your help. Also got 20 bucks off a year gold card too.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Mine is connected to a wireless G router and works great. Glad you got a good deal!

I've used both a wireless G and N router and my kids have had no problem whatsoever with any of their gaming systems.

The only problem I've encountered is getting them off of them to take out the trash, clean their rooms, and do various chores. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've used both a wireless G and N router and my kids have had no problem whatsoever with any of their gaming systems.

The only problem I've encountered is getting them off of them to take out the trash, clean their rooms, and do various chores. LOL
    Yeah, that problem is mentioned in the fine print on the box.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?