Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Reds will make a major offseason move or even two?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Do you think the Reds will make a major offseason move or even two?

Just wondering if you think the Reds will stand pat, make minor moves (Hermida, Lewis, Renteria-type), or make a major move to upgrade the cleanup spot and possibly pitching?

I know overall payroll is an issue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think the Reds will make a major offseason move or even two?

I think they will probably let Cordero go, and that will be about the extent of the offseason lol.

I think they will go huge in the off season and probably recall Carlos Fisher to get him ready for the next 19 inning game

I hear everyone, print media, fans, announcers talk about all the changes there will be over the winter. I have almost no hope that will happen. Who are they gonna move and who are they gonna get? Which positions are open? I think mostly cosmetic changes are made and, once again, they will rely on the young arms to get better. I don't expect any blockbusters, maybe a mid-level trade at most. Don't expect Shields, or Kemp or anything along those lines.
    I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG. ECSTATIC EVEN.

C Hanigan/Mesoraco
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Cozart
    3B Rolen
    LF Heisey/Sappelt (This might be the one position to see somewhat of an upgrade)
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce

SP Cueto
    SP Arroyo
    SP Leake
    SP Bailey
    SP Willis (Would resigning the D-Train be considered a big move? If Willis moves on insert Wood/Volquez.)

CL Chapman
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Masset
    RP Arredondo
    RP Lecure
    RP Bray
    RP ????? (Boxberger, Burton, Horst, Wood, Volquez - probably stays inside the organization)

Hanigan/Mesoraco
    Heisey/Sappelt
    Cairo
    Janish/Renteria
    Alonso/Frazier/Francisco

I just don't see that many openings or that much money being available to upgrade. Until Castellini opens that wallet, I think it is pretty much what you see is what you get.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-30-2011 at 12:47 PM.

No one knows what offers will be available. I think Stubbs could be traded if some team wants him. He has been underwhelming this year but there could be teams out there that like his speed/defense/20 HR. The Reds could get maybe a good bullpen arm. Also, Stubbs, Wood and Alonso packaged together could maybe get a good startig pitcher from a team looking to rebuild.

I predict that a mid-level addition will be made, and Phillips will have his option picked up. I wouldn't expect a TOR guy like Shields, but a trade of one of our young backup third basemen (Frazier, Francisco, or Alonso if the price is right) and a rotation option (Volquez and Wood on the low side, Bailey on the high) would fetch either a TOR rental or an above-average left fielder. Wandy could be a target, and would be relatively cheap. If we want to make a signing, Furcal will be a free agent as well, in all likelihood. Not sure how LF shakes out, but if Alonso isn't a long-term option there, an upgrade needs to be made (sorry Sappelt, but you need to be seasoned as a 5th outfielder before you make the transition).

To me we have two huge needs. Pitching and a bat behind Votto.

We can live with the other frustrations and still win a lot of games if we had to. Someone needs to be able to make opposing managers pay for pitching around Votto. Bruce isn't that guy, BP isn't that guy, and Scott Rolen....just no. And our bullpen needs some guys that can get people out. Third on my list would be a leadoff guy but I think BP could do a decent job if he had to.

At this point I'm kinda okay with our starting rotation.

A quick adding up of the salaries for 2012 left me in the neighborhood of 77 million. If the budget gets bumped to say 85 million there could be a big addition. (Assuming my salary assumptions were in the ballpark)
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-30-2011 at 04:24 PM.

I would try VERY hard to sign CJ Wilson. He's 31 and has pitched very well the last 2 seasons, his first two as a SP. I don't think his arm has been taxed, so he may just now be entering his prime. He's a lefty, he's pitched well in Texas, and he pitched well in the postseason. He's a legit TOR starter that would help us very much for the next few years. He may be a bit expensive, but it's a need.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds won't trade for a Matt Kemp. BUT........if they did........

Votto bats .350, 35 HR's, 130 rbi just with a guy like that hitting behind him.
    Kemp bats .310, 40 HR's (in GABP), 130 rbi, 40 SB's.

But unfortunately, it won't happen.

It's like doublemint gum. Double the fun with Joey being protected in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The Reds won't trade for a Matt Kemp. BUT........if they did........

Votto bats .350, 35 HR's, 130 rbi just with a guy like that hitting behind him.
    Kemp bats .310, 40 HR's (in GABP), 130 rbi, 40 SB's.

But unfortunately, it won't happen.

It's like doublemint gum. Double the fun with Joey being protected in the lineup.
    Votto would indeed get better. .350 seems pretty high to me, but the big reach i see is 130 rbi. In order for Votto to knock runners in, the people in FRONT of him have to get on base.

Trade Votto for a frontline starter. Insert Alonzo at 1b and watch him hit .300with 30 homeruns and 100 RBI.

Increase run differential and win total because you prevent 60 fewer runs with second top notch starter.

Votto will never be worth more than he will this offseason. Every second after this offseason that you hang onto him, the value drops.

Baker won't be fired because of the extension. But Walt should be Fired, or Bob C should sell to an Owner with the financial means to IMPROVE the Club. This team was on the brink last year and all it needed this year was a move to IMPROVE the ROSTER.

Walt did nothing, so it either falls on his shoulders or Bob Castellini for not making the financial commitment.

That is all.

i think they will sign renteria cairo and lewis to five year extensions each

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Baker won't be fired because of the extension. But Walt should be Fired, or Bob C should sell to an Owner with the financial means to IMPROVE the Club. This team was on the brink last year and all it needed this year was a move to IMPROVE the ROSTER.

Walt did nothing, so it either falls on his shoulders or Bob Castellini for not making the financial commitment.

That is all.
    Walt and/or Bob wasted this season. Flat out wasted it.

Turn Off Ads?