Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your 1st Reds game

What was your 1st Reds game

On Sunday my dad and I took my 8 year old nephew to his first Reds game. My dad was lucky enough to get his bosses seats in section 124, so that alone would have made his first game a good one, but it ended up being pretty great.

Before the game we went down by the dug out and he was able to get 3 autographs on his Reds hat. Then Joey Votto came out in the 1st inning and hit a home run, which my nephew called on the way to Cincinnati (from New Albany,IN). We then got to watch Votto hit a walk off home run in the bottom of the 14th inning, doesn't get much better than that.

This got me thinking about my first Reds game, and I hope my nephew can remember his better than I can. All I remember about mine was sitting in about the same seats we and Sunday, but at River Front Stadium. If I remember correctly Barry Larkin and Pokey Reese both homered in the game, and the Reds won. Unfortunately that is all I can remember, and even that may not be right.

So, please share your 1st Reds experience with us. I'm sure we will hear some awesome stories.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What was your 1st Reds game

Around 1977 at Riverfront and they were playing the Dodgers. I was very young but I really liked Bench and Morgan and I had a Joe Morgan kids jersey.

1960 Jay Hook was stalwart

August 29, 2010. T-Wood vs Cubbies. we won 7-4

i was able to spot mom, dad and myself in one of the highlight videos lol
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Wow...summer of 86 I believe, was in college in NE TN, me and a fellow college buddy drove up to see a game. Don't recall whom we played or what. They had a HS all star game before the Reds game so we got in early and walked the stadium. I was in heaven adn couldn't wait to return

Late 70's at Riverfront. I was about 8 years old, and idolized Tom Seaver. I don't remember the other team, but it was during the first half of the season because All Star voting (actual paper ballots back then) was going on, and I remember the big tall cardboard ballot boxes.
    Last edited by BigPoppa; 08-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Mid 90's, Riverfront. Game 2 of a double header against the Phils. Got there during extra innings of game 1. That's about all I remember, I was somewhere around the age of 5-7.

Aug 17 (give or take a day either way) 1983, at 3 Rivers Stadium. I was a Bench fan and knew he was retiring that season. My parent drove me from NC to Pittsburgh for my birthday to see him play. I remember thinking it was the biggest place I had ever been in walking into the stadium, and my parents telling me about someone walking tight rope across it when they lived there in the 70's. I dont recall a lot of the game itself, but do remember Bench homered, and as far as I know, it was his last road homer, which I swore he hit for me for my birthday. And there were a lot of Penguins sitting by me, but I wasnt into hockey. My dad said I told a couple of them to sit down as they kept getting up and down and blocking hte game-he was worried I was goign to get him in a fight with pro hockey players lol. Also remember going into a card shop and there was an ex plyer in there and dad talking to him for a long time-but I never knew who it was
    Last edited by bounty37h; 08-31-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

80 or 81 against the Dodgers. Ron Oester hit a walk-off. Reds starters were Bench, Driessen, Oester, Knight, Concepcion, Foster, Collins and Griffey. Don't remember who pitched, I was only 5 or 6.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

1961 Ken Johnson was the man

1950 at Crosley Field.

July 25th 1982 Cubs Vs Reds at Riverfront. The Reds won 2-1 in an epic battle between Bruce Berenyi and Fergie Jenkins, Alex Trevino hit a triple. I was 10 years old and we had blue seats in the left field corner. It was really hot and my oldest sister stood up for the national anthem and passed out.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

berenyi was dealin that day

1975 - When I saw that astro turf, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. My smile never left my face that day. True story, we had a friend who was in the minor leagues and knew Pete Mackanin. Pete got us the tickets. The Reds beat the Expos that day. The first player I saw in person was Doug Flynn. We sat in the green seats behind home plate.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Early 70's against the Phillies. Steve Carlton got the win for the Phils. I remember Tony Perez homered for the Reds. Sparky gave Bench the night off, so I got to see Bill Plummer. That was a bit of a let down. I remember sitting in the red seats in left field and thinking how amazing Riverfront Stadium was.

Turn Off Ads?