Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will the Reds sign Votto to a long term deal?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 25.33%
  • No

56 74.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Votto sign long term with Reds?

Will Votto sign long term with Reds?

Do you think Joey Votto will eventually sign a long term deal to stay in Cincinnati?
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Votto sign long term with Reds?

My "yes" is a leap of faith - really have no way of knowing, but I could see that it's a possibility.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I voted NO. He will either go home to Toronto, or sign for the big $$$'s from the Yankees, Red Sox, or one of the handful of teams that don't need to worry about one player taking too big a chunk of the payroll.

But I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

My guess is hes waiting to see if the Reds plan to fill the holes on the team or keep trying to fill them with junk.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.
    Exactly how I see it.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I voted NO. He will either go home to Toronto, or sign for the big $$$'s from the Yankees, Red Sox, or one of the handful of teams that don't need to worry about one player taking too big a chunk of the payroll.

But I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.
    Sad, but true.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    My guess is hes waiting to see if the Reds plan to fill the holes on the team or keep trying to fill them with junk.
    I think so too. IMO, Walt's lack of progress the last two years is pushing Votto out the door. I think the Reds can afford him and I think he'd stay if he could be convinced that Cincy wasn't a rinky dink, fly by night operation. So far they haven't done anything to convince anybody of anything.

IMO, Votto wants to win more than the organization does. If he leaves, that will be the reason and not the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

No. I'd give it a 5% chance and only if they work out a huge extension in the next few months. In another thread I stated at least 7/125.
    Once into 2013 there's no chance he's staying.
    He will be in great demand once he hits the open market.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think so too. IMO, Walt's lack of progress the last two years is pushing Votto out the door. I think the Reds can afford him and I think he'd stay if he could be convinced that Cincy wasn't a rinky dink, fly by night operation. So far they haven't done anything to convince anybody of anything.

IMO, Votto wants to win more than the organization does. If he leaves, that will be the reason and not the money.
    I agree. I think Votto is willing to sign a long term contract to stay in Cincinnati, but he is also very aware that the Reds are unlikely to offer him a fair market contract for a player of his caliber. He knows the Reds' plan is to spend just enough money to stay on the fringes of competitiveness without ever committing the resources required to make a legit try for a championship. The Reds have plenty of money available should they choose to spend it, but they won't. They value profit far more than they value winning baseball games. The Reds are rapidly squandering their window of opportunity and good players & their agents are fully aware of that. It is extremely frustrating for star players when their team passes up every chance to improve the talent level season after season. When a team has obvious holes in the lineup and makes no serious attempt to fix those holes it makes a star player's mind begin to wonder what it would be like to play somewhere else where the ownership really wants to win and is willing to do what it takes to win.

Makes me sick to say but I see him in pinstripes.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

He gone.

The truth is no one really knows.There's no doubt that Joey is weighing his options but those that are saying that there's no chance he stays are really off imo.No wonder there's so much talk of trading one of the best players in the game.The reigning MVP isn't signed for 2013 and beyond so he's had to of made up his mind that he's taking the first flight out of Cincinnati once his contract is up.Sure I'd be thrilled if he'd come out and say "I want to stay and I will do it for less and what the heck, let's make for the rest of my career" but that stuff just doesn't happen.I don't really believe he's made up his mind at all.He gets asked about it all the time and he talks about how he likes the city and enjoys playing for the Reds but does talk about the possibility of leaving.He has addressed some of the difficulties the Reds might have signing him but says nothing about a desire to play elsewhere even if the Reds are able to match other offers.If the Reds offer 120 million over six years I'd bet he'd take it.Maybe it would take 7 and 140 and who knows,a 10 year 200 million dollar deal might be what he's going to want but either way I don't see why the Reds can't afford him.If they pony up the money,and I think they will, I think he'll stay.So imo the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree. I think Votto is willing to sign a long term contract to stay in Cincinnati, but he is also very aware that the Reds are unlikely to offer him a fair market contract for a player of his caliber. He knows the Reds' plan is to spend just enough money to stay on the fringes of competitiveness without ever committing the resources required to make a legit try for a championship. The Reds have plenty of money available should they choose to spend it, but they won't. They value profit far more than they value winning baseball games. The Reds are rapidly squandering their window of opportunity and good players & their agents are fully aware of that. It is extremely frustrating for star players when their team passes up every chance to improve the talent level season after season. When a team has obvious holes in the lineup and makes no serious attempt to fix those holes it makes a star player's mind begin to wonder what it would be like to play somewhere else where the ownership really wants to win and is willing to do what it takes to win.
    My feelings exactly, and as a fan of the team, it'd be hard, but I don't think I could blame him.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If he wanted to be here, he'd have been signed already.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If he wanted to be here, he'd have been signed already.
    Not necessarily. You never know what the market is going to be like, or what the make up of the team will be in the future. I find it hard to blame Votto for waiting.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?