Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

Do you also think Dusty will lobby for him to become the closer in 2012? Do you think once he becomes closer you can forget about him becoming a starting pitcher? I think Dusty will push for it and his chances of starting will pretty much be over.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

I think he'll be the closer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wish they would give him at least a couple of trial runs in September but I wont hold my breath

I hope he's not. I would like to see the Reds give a real good opportunity to be a starter. But it would not surprise me in the least if he closes next season and is never really given any chance to start. That just seems to be the way the Reds roll.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

First team priority, IMHO, should be to stretch him out and try him as a starter. Unfortunately this seems not to be in the plans. I'm beginning to think the Reds are happy to be pretty mediocre.

I know that with the money we are paying him, and the hype he brings, it is my opinion that he must either be a starter or the closer next year. It makes no sense to me at this time why we would keep him as middle reliever. I would like to see him close, but if he is a starter next year, I would be happy as well.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I don't think his arm bounces back well enough to close. judging from how they've used him.

I think they try to convert him to a starter next year.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Seeing how the Reds run the team, I'd say yes. And it will turn out to be highly controversial because of his bouts of wildness. Torches and pitchforks will ensue.

I think making him a starter is the smarter thing to do but I'm starting to think the Reds don't do smart things. Personnel handling on of the 2011 Reds has been disjointed and generally goofball and I'm afraid that will continue.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 08-31-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I don't think there is any doubt that he will be closing next year.

Big surprise if he doesn't.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Yes

His value is so much greater if they at least try him as a starter then if he can't hack it THEN make him a closer. Like the Dodgers did with Eric Gagne, like the Cubs did with Kerry Wood (granted injuries rather than effectiveness), like the A's did with Eckersly (age), so on and so forth. There is no excuse (IMO) to not at least give him a chance to start.

Will he start or has he been Papelbon'd we shall see but with his potential it is a waste of very valuable resources leaving him in the pen but I've been saying that since the 2010 offseason began.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The Reds hold an option on Cordero for 2012. What makes any of you think the Reds won't pick up that option?

Chapman should be stretched out and spend at least part of next season in AAA getting ready to be moved into the rotation. Why pay a guy with all that talent that much money to pitch 60 innings a year?

Bum

My predictions:

No way the Reds pick up the option on Cordero. That would be insane.

Chapman will be starting in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    My predictions:

No way the Reds pick up the option on Cordero. That would be insane.

Chapman will be starting in 2012.
    Bronson Arroyo. I rest my case.

Turn Off Ads?