Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

Re: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    The Reds hold an option on Cordero for 2012. What makes any of you think the Reds won't pick up that option?

Chapman should be stretched out and spend at least part of next season in AAA getting ready to be moved into the rotation. Why pay a guy with all that talent that much money to pitch 60 innings a year?

Bum
    1. They do not need to pay Cordero 12 million dollars again next year. We have Chapman as a closing option, or we could just buy out Cordero's option and negotiate a new contract for much less money. He is 36 and counting, and there is no way in my mind he will command the same amount of money anywhere else.

2. Chapman will make 2 million dollars next year, and if they make him a closer he might pitch around 60 innings. If they pay Cordero 12 million to close and pitch more or less 60 innings, why not Chapman for 2 million. Chapman is a very viable option to close.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think he will be. I hope he's not.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    1. They do not need to pay Cordero 12 million dollars again next year. We have Chapman as a closing option, or we could just buy out Cordero's option and negotiate a new contract for much less money. He is 36 and counting, and there is no way in my mind he will command the same amount of money anywhere else.

2. Chapman will make 2 million dollars next year, and if they make him a closer he might pitch around 60 innings. If they pay Cordero 12 million to close and pitch more or less 60 innings, why not Chapman for 2 million. Chapman is a very viable option to close.
    Because Chapman is 23 years old with a ton of potential that shouldn't be wasted on pitching 60 innings a year. He has a Randy Johnson type ceiling; why would the Reds waste that at the closer slot?

I'm not arguing the merits of picking up Cordero's option but I imagine that they will do so.

Bum

Bronson Arroyo. I rest my case.
    All the more reason they won't pick up the option.

Because Chapman is 23 years old with a ton of potential that shouldn't be wasted on pitching 60 innings a year. He has a Randy Johnson type ceiling; why would the Reds waste that at the closer slot?

I'm not arguing the merits of picking up Cordero's option but I imagine that they will do so.

Bum
    Why in the world would they pick up the option? If they wanted him back, they could easily buy him out, and offer him a lesser deal. No one is going to pay him anywhere close to $12M.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Why in the world would they pick up the option? If they wanted him back, they could easily buy him out, and offer him a lesser deal. No one is going to pay him anywhere close to $12M.
    No one was going to pay Arroyo either. I don't disagree with you that they shouldn't pick it up, I just imagine that they will. If Dusty is still around, I think it is almost a guarantee that they pick it up.

Bum

No one was going to pay Arroyo either. I don't disagree with you that they shouldn't pick it up, I just imagine that they will. If Dusty is still around, I think it is almost a guarantee that they pick it up.

Bum
    No one was going to sign Arroyo?!? Back to back years of sub 4.00 ERA, six straight years of 200+ IP, never missed a start in his career, and no one was going to sign him??? Not even close to a comparable situation with Cordero. Cordero is 36, and will be 37 next year. I can't fathom a situation in which they pick up the option. Would be a completely laughable move.

No one was going to sign Arroyo?!? Back to back years of sub 4.00 ERA, six straight years of 200+ IP, never missed a start in his career, and no one was going to sign him??? Not even close to a comparable situation with Cordero. Cordero is 36, and will be 37 next year. I can't fathom a situation in which they pick up the option. Would be a completely laughable move.
    Nobody would have signed him for $12.5M...plus the option is 1 year on Cordero. They certainly aren't going to pick up his option and sign him to an extension like they did Arroyo. Prepare to laugh...

Nobody would have signed him for $12.5M...plus the option is 1 year on Cordero. They certainly aren't going to pick up his option and sign him to an extension like they did Arroyo. Prepare to laugh...
    Arroyo was resigned to an extension, with a significant amount of the money deferred, and only a portion being accounted for in the 2011 payroll. Not a good signing, but not a comparable situation to picking up a one year option for $12M on Cordero. It's beyond crazy.

Arroyo was resigned to an extension, with a significant amount of the money deferred, and only a portion being accounted for in the 2011 payroll. Not a good signing, but not a comparable situation to picking up a one year option for $12M on Cordero. It's beyond crazy.
    Still, no other team in MLB was going to give Arroyo that much money regardless of whether it's deferred or not.

OK...I still believe they will pick up the option. Obviously you don't. Probably best to move as I don't really disagree with your opinion of why they shouldn't pick it up but I do believe they will.

More importantly, I think the Reds would be nuts to make Chapman their closer without making a serious attempt at making him a starter.

Bum

I don't think they pick up the option but Walt's used to having money.

A great closers is not a "waste". And if CoCo's option isn't picked up and Champman isn't the closer, that means we're dipping into the free agent market closer market. Good year for it.

Anything wrong with Broxton? His big stats and peripherals are terrible. But it's a been a rough year in LA. He's 27 and lost the closing role.

I know one thing. I'm sick to death of hearing the announcers extol the virtues of Cordero's record. Over and over... "the numbers don't lie". Oh but they do! So many of his saves have been because his team has saved him! Funny how those things don't show up in the "numbers don't lie". You'd think those guys hadn't watched him all season.

Regarding Chapman as closer, I really hope they don't do that. He's just not consistent enough.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

nm

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Regarding Chapman as closer, I really hope they don't do that. He's just not consistent enough.
    That's a valid reason. "Wasting" him in the closer role because he might be Randy Johnson is not. (Even Randy Johnson wasn't Randy Johnson until he was 29.)

I except that they will make the right decision.

The lack of success with the starters this season makes the deficiency so obvious that they just can't ignore the potential help Chappy could bring.

Turn Off Ads?