Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

Re: Do you think Chapman will become the closer in 2012?

The ninth inning is too important to gamble it away with Volquez, Arredondo, Bailey. Reds need a real closer. In fact, while there are other needs, I think the Reds will focus heavily this winter on the closer/set up man combo.

My guess is either Coco will sign again relatively cheaply or the Reds will acquire a veteran closer from the outside. I think they will groom Boxberger as the closer down the line.

I also think the Reds will acquire a set up man to replace Masset. I dont see Nick in that role next year.

While the Reds need a high level starter and LF, I'm more confident that this front office will make acquisitions for the bullpen. Relievers are just easier to come by.

As for Aroldis, I see him being stretched out over the winter. Don't be shocked if he spends the first half of 2012 as a long man in the pen getting ready to start. I don't see Chapman at AAA, too big a salary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2011 at 01:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The ninth inning is too important to gamble it away with Volquez, Arredondo, Bailey. Reds need a real closer. In fact, while there are other needs, I think the Reds will focus heavily this winter on the closer/set up man combo.
    Innings 1-8 are, for lack of a better measure shall we say, 8 times more important than the 9th to gamble them away with a repeat of the Reds 2011 pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Innings 1-8 are, for lack of a better measure shall we say, 8 times more important than the 9th to gamble them away with a repeat of the Reds 2011 pitching staff.
    I guess somebody must have said the Reds should repeat the 2011 pitching staff. I didn't.

I guess somebody wants the umpteenth debate on the need for an established closer. I don't.

I am simply confident that the Reds will view it as a priority to solidify the set up man-closer combo for 2012. I expect Masset and probably Coco to be replaced in those positions, from the outside.

As for guys like Volquez, Bailey, Wood, the Reds have decisions to make on them. The Reds can't continue having a starting pitchers tryout camp every year.

I'm not that confident Reds will acquire a high level starter from the outside. They tend to be expensive. I hope they do, obviously.

Free agent closers:

Heath Bell (34)
    Jonathan Broxton (28)
    Matt Capps (28)
    Francisco Cordero (37) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Frank Francisco (32)
    Brad Lidge (35) - $12.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Joe Nathan (37) - $12.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Jonathan Papelbon (31)
    Jon Rauch (33) - $3.75MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Francisco Rodriguez (30)
    Rafael Soriano (32) - $11MM player option or a $1.5MM buyout
    Jose Valverde (34) - $9MM club option, no buyout

Lots of possibilities. Add in a Mike Adams or a Kerry Wood and you could very well see some major changes in that position across baseball as well as Cincinnati.

I'm hoping the Reds take a starter and make him a closer. Just not Chapman.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I guess somebody must have said the Reds should repeat the 2011 pitching staff. I didn't.

I guess somebody wants the umpteenth debate on the need for an established closer. I don't.

I am simply confident that the Reds will view it as a priority to solidify the set up man-closer combo for 2012. I expect Masset and probably Coco to be replaced in those positions, from the outside.

As for guys like Volquez, Bailey, Wood, the Reds have decisions to make on them. The Reds can't continue having a starting pitchers tryout camp every year.

I'm not that confident Reds will acquire a high level starter from the outside. They tend to be expensive. I hope they do, obviously.
    I don't think the Reds will have to go outside to find a "closer." Nor should they resign Cordero.

I do think they'll have to go outside to improve the starting pitching.

I don't think they have to find "high level" starters.

I do think they have the team treasure to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    They also have great starters. Which is easier to find?
    Closers. Which is kind of my point.

Chapman's a special talent, so I get the wait-and-see approach. But chances are that Chapman won't ever become an ace and if he does it will be a few years yet.

Turn Off Ads?