Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RZ - MiLB Reds Hitter of the Year

Re: RZ - MiLB Reds Hitter of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    For me it is Soto. I don't know if anyone has the actual park factors in Zebulon, but having been there I know the outfield walls are very high from gap to the lines and it has to supress power to some extent. So 30HRs is a LOT.

As a point of reference in 2009 while playing in Zebulon a 22yo, Juan Franciso, no slouch in the power department, hit 22HRs in 437Abs. If you take Soto's current production at 379ABs and extend it to 437ABs you are looking at a 35HR season at the same age, in the same park......and unfortunately the same strike zone judgement.
    Soto has not been near as bad as Fransico has for his career to this point, but neither is it great.

I factor in position here a little bit so mine would read as:
    Mes
    Soto
    Phipps
    Torreyes
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, for me it's Torreyes. He may not have the power, but everything else he's doing off the charts. But Soto, Phipps & Mesoraco certainly all deserve it too. Should be a tough call. But Hamilton?!? No thanks.

David Vidal

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    For me it is Soto. I don't know if anyone has the actual park factors in Zebulon, but having been there I know the outfield walls are very high from gap to the lines and it has to supress power to some extent. So 30HRs is a LOT.

As a point of reference in 2009 while playing in Zebulon a 22yo, Juan Franciso, no slouch in the power department, hit 22HRs in 437Abs. If you take Soto's current production at 379ABs and extend it to 437ABs you are looking at a 35HR season at the same age, in the same park......and unfortunately the same strike zone judgement.
    krm, I went to Zebulon last year and had the same impression. Carolina seems to play OK for power hitters, but those high walls definitely make it appear forbidding. Meanwhile, good comparisons with Francisco. To me, he's the standard for power hitters in the organization.

This should be an interesting poll. Some of the comments make me consider moving Soto higher; but on the other hand, he's so much more one-dimensional than the other top guys. And that's odd, in a way. You'd think that a guy who was signed as a shortstop would not be wholly confined to first base, but that seems to be the case.

Torreyes has been very good, but I don't give it to him due to hitting behind Hamilton (which has a massive effect on how these inexperienced A-ball pitchers throw to him), and a smaller sample size.

Grandal has been largely ignored this season, but has put up some impressive numbers. He takes walks, and has a higher OPS than Mesoraco. Add that to him continuing to develop his switch-hitting skills, and I'm highly encouraged. Remember that this is his first full minor league season, and he's already knocking on the door of AAA.

But for hitting 30 homers in the short amount of time that he had, I can't give this to anyone other than Soto. There are a lot of guys like him who never put it together, but he finally seems to have. What's more, he's younger than you'd think for someone who's been around as long as he has. A little more polish, and I see him as an above-average future MLB first baseman.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Torreyes has been very good, but I don't give it to him due to hitting behind Hamilton (which has a massive effect on how these inexperienced A-ball pitchers throw to him), and a smaller sample size.
    I can understand the small sample size argument. But if his results this year were a huge increase over what he's done previously, I could understand the hesitation due to the Billy-effect. But all he's done is continue to do what he's been doing in the minors....hit...a LOT. I'm sure hitting behind Hamilton doesn't hurt, but Torreyes was going to hit regardless I'd think.

Mesoraco was named the Bats MVP today per twitter. Or maybe that was a few days ago. sometimes Twitter is a help sometimes..
    Last edited by klw; 08-31-2011 at 06:39 PM.

There are more good candidates this year than at any time that I can remember. This thread is proof that theReds could make a deal or two and still be well stocked.

I'll take Soto. Lee May for a new generation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

MiLB Reds POTY:
    Yaz
    Yonder
    Soto
    Mes
    Torreyes
    Vidal
    Lutz
    Campbell
    Hamilton

And I would have traded any four of them for Shields and Pence.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    MiLB Reds POTY:
    \And I would have traded any four of them for Shields and Pence.
    If I could choose the four, I'd make the deal for Shields.

Any four, IMO, is overpayment.

A deal of Mesoraco, Alonso, Torreyes, and Hamilton would have to include not just a TOR pitcher, but a cleanup bat not on the 2011 market, both at cost certainty with an almost virtual lock to outperform their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are more good candidates this year than at any time that I can remember. This thread is proof that theReds could make a deal or two and still be well stocked.

I'll take Soto. Lee May for a new generation.
    A 'Big Bopper from Birmingham' reference is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If I could choose the four, I'd make the deal for Shields.

Any four, IMO, is overpayment.

A deal of Mesoraco, Alonso, Torreyes, and Hamilton would have to include not just a TOR pitcher, but a cleanup bat not on the 2011 market, both at cost certainty with an almost virtual lock to outperform their contracts.
    Agreed. What I mean is I would have, back in July, moved any 2 for Shields and any 2 for Pence. That's the TOR and Big Bat we'd needed back then to give MLW a run for their money.

So Yonder and Mes for Shields
    And Torreyes, Hamilton for Pence.

Steep price, but I'd have paid it for top tier/young big league all-stars. You bet.

Soto was my pick for breakout player.

He broke out.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Tough call, but I'd go Mez because of how consistent he's been at a high level.

Baserunning is part of the offensive package... Is 30 HR's more impressive than 90+ sb's? I've heard more than 1 story of how disruptive Hamilton is by being on first base alone... I haven't heard anything about how a pitcher reacts after allowing Soto to clear the bases...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?