Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 8/31

Birthdays- 8/31

Reds:

Greg Tubbs (49) -OF in 1993 who couldn't get his batting average over the Mendoza line.

Frank Robinson (76) -Happy 76th to maybe the greatest Red ever.

Others:

Hideo Nomo (43)

Von Hayes (53) -Does Drew Stubbs remind you of a faster Von Hayes?

Tom Candiotti (54) As a knuckleballer, at 56 he's still in his prime.

Claudell Washington (57) -Played successfully in the majors at 19, got MVP votes at 20; never really took the next step into superstardom but had a long career.

Tracy Stallard (74) -Famous, of course, for giving up homer #61 to Maris; the pitchers who gave up #59 and #60 both later pitched for the Reds. Anyone remember who they were? Anyway, I remember hearing once that Stallard was living in Cincinnati after he retired, but his bio doesn't mention it.

Eddie Plank -Gettysburg Eddie, a lefty who won 300+ games in the bigs,
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 8/31

Von Hayes is a really good comparison for Stubbs. Hayes was a highly regarded prospect who never became the star he was supposed to be. He was a decent player for a number of years but certainly not great as expected. I can see Stubbs having that same type of career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'd be ecstatic if we can get anything Von Hayes-like out of Stubbs on offense.
    Stubbs is looking more like a weak version of Mike Cameron. Glove, some power and lots of Ks.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Here's Von Hayes stats via Retrosheet. I would say Stubbs is on par with him. Hayes had a career OBP of .354 and 143 HRs which a little lower than I thought. He had one season of 48 stolen bases which really surprised me and another of 32.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/H/Phayev001.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stubbs reminds me more of Reggie Taylor so far. If we're going with ex Phils, he's the best comp IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Tracy Stallard (74) -Famous, of course, for giving up homer #61 to Maris; the pitchers who gave up #59 and #60 both later pitched for the Reds. Anyone remember who they were? Anyway, I remember hearing once that Stallard was living in Cincinnati after he retired, but his bio doesn't mention it.
    When you say 'Anyone remember who they were?' you are saying don't look it up so I didn't. Could one of them have been Ryne Duren?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    When you say 'Anyone remember who they were?' you are saying don't look it up so I didn't. Could one of them have been Ryne Duren?
    Stallard is from the area in which I grew up, Coeburn, Va. It's a very small town in SW Va.

I looked it up. Number 59 came off Milt Pappas and number 60 was Jack Fisher.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?