Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermida claimed off waivers

-The Insider-

Hermida claimed off waivers

The San Diego Padres have claimed outfielder Jeremy Hermida off waivers from the Reds, reducing the 40-man down to 39.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hermida claimed off waivers

I assume now Mesoraco will be added.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's the MLB Traderumors article on the claim:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...-phillips.html

The three followup questions that now need to be asked.

1. Who will the Reds now place on the 40-man roster? Mesoraco seems likely, but we'll need to see if that happens.

2. Who's coming to us from the Padres in return for Hermida's services?

3. Does Hermida's departure increase the odds of Fred Lewis returning as our 5th outfielder in 2012 and a LH batter off the bench?

-The Insider-

1. It's almost certainly Mes, or Corky

2. I doubt anyone, I think it's a straight waiver claim?

and 3. I hope not.

I'll assume no one is coming back. I was going to post in the roster expansion thread, that it would make perfect sense to waive Hermedia. He has no future in this organization, at least not in the majors, he was the perfect canidate to waive to open up a 40 man slot.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Good for him. He's been a trouper this year at Louisville and deserves another legit show at The Show.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I would have liked to see what he could do instead of Lewis. I think he offered more upside, now an later.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I would have liked to see what he could do instead of Lewis. I think he offered more upside, now an later.
    I'd have to agree with you. When the season started, I would have given an edge to Lewis owing to his speed (17 SB in 2010) and upper-hand over Hermida on defense. But Lewis' speed has seemingly vanished this season -- only 2 SB while being caught stealing five times. And along with the loss of speed, his defense has suffered. He might still be more fluid in the field than Hermida, but not by much.

Taking all those things into account, I'd have to reassign Hermida the edge, not only currently but moving forward, as the player with superior power and the one more likely to make contact at the plate.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Agreed. He may have struggled when he was with the Reds, but what he's done at AAA this year, I think he was MORE than worth a look.

.319/.400/.524/.924 17 hr, 46 bb, 97 k's.

Definitely an upgrade over Lewis. And if they're seriously going to scrap the idea of Yonder in left, he'd be a more viable option for the Reds right now than Yonder. Simply put, we've got to find a position for that bat...or a new home. It's long past decision time on Yonder. Personally, I think what I've thought at the beginning...he needs to be in the AL splitting time at 1B and DH. Votto ain't goin' nowhere.

For those who watch the Bats regularly, what was Hermida's D like with the Bats this year?

What's the Padres' angle? A tryout?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed. He may have struggled when he was with the Reds, but what he's done at AAA this year, I think he was MORE than worth a look.

.319/.400/.524/.924 17 hr, 46 bb, 97 k's.

Definitely an upgrade over Lewis. And if they're seriously going to scrap the idea of Yonder in left, he'd be a more viable option for the Reds right now than Yonder. Simply put, we've got to find a position for that bat...or a new home. It's long past decision time on Yonder. Personally, I think what I've thought at the beginning...he needs to be in the AL splitting time at 1B and DH. Votto ain't goin' nowhere.

For those who watch the Bats regularly, what was Hermida's D like with the Bats this year?
    I didn't see him play regularly with the Bats, but I did with the Marlins and in their minor league system. He's not horrible, but he's not amazing. Nor is he "good" Adequate, maybe?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Hermida is only 27. There should be some gas left in the tank.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Any idea who has been promoted to AAA?

Good for Hermidia. Good for the Pads.

As for Lewis, I'd like to see the Reds DFA him tonight and open a spot.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I didn't see him play regularly with the Bats, but I did with the Marlins and in their minor league system. He's not horrible, but he's not amazing. Nor is he "good" Adequate, maybe?
    I feel like Hermida would have been better than Lewis, but offensively and defensively. Not great, but better.

Turn Off Ads?