Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RZ - MiLB Reds Pitcher of the Year

Resident PED Expert

RZ - MiLB Reds Pitcher of the Year

This was really a down year for Reds pitching in general. Injuries, promotions and ineffectiveness hurt the overall crop of pitchers in the system this year.

But here are the most likely candidates in no particular order.

Tony Cingriani - 1 W - 1.56 ERA - 0.74 WHIP - .176 BAA - 14.73 K per - 1.12 BB per - 66 K's

Probably doesn't belong on the list. But in a very hitter friendly league has been nothing short of dominate. In 11 starts and 40 IP has given up more than 1 ER run once. K'd 30 in last 15 IP.

Josh Smith
    - 13 W - 2.88 ERA - 1.06 WHIP - .224 BAA - 10.44 K per - 2.03 BB per - 159 K's

Well documented that he was considerably old for the league. Was the hammer for the Dayton rotation though. Interesting stat of note... only gave up 8 HR's all year even though he was a extreme FB pitcher. About 2 FB to 1 GB. Second in the system currently in K's...

Daniel Corcino - 11 W - 3.07 ERA - 1.12 WHIP - .230 BAA - 10.09 K per - 2.21 BB Per - 151 K's

20 Year old Cueto clone. Has a very smooth delivery. Went through a dead arm period late in the year but can be very unhittible at times. About a 1:1 GB/FB pitcher with a lean to FB. 3rd in the system in K's...

Daniel Renken - 8 W - 3.52 ERA - 1.13 WHIP - .249 BAA - 10.36 K per - 3.27 BB Per - 165 K's

Draftee last year, struggled early. By mid year there was no better pitcher in the system. Has had numbers inflated a touch in the Cali. About a 1:1 GB/FB pitcher with a lean to GB.

Drew Hayes - 22 SV's - 1.40 ERA - 0.93 WHIP - .141 BAA - 13.5 K per - 4.03 BB per

Like Smith a bit old for the league. Was wild in the first couple months or so (12 BB in 21 IP) but has been more constant since. (14 BB in his last 37 IP)

Daniel Wolford - 6 Wins - 1.24 ERA - 1.16 WHIP - .225 BAA - 10.37 K per - 2.89 BB per

Middle relievers usually don't make a POY list. But he has had a exceptional season in he hasn't been scored upon since JUNE. 33+ IP and over 20 appearances in that stretch. Extreme GB pitcher. 2.5 GB for every FB. Given up 1 HR. That was in April.

Brad Boxberger - 9 SV - 2.10 ERA - 0.97 WHIP - .156 BAA - 13.35 K per - 3.90 BB per

Most amazing stat on Boxberger is, he of the 98 MPH FB, did not hit 1 single batter this year. Could be the Reds closer in 2013 or 2014.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RZ - MiLB Reds Pitcher of the Year

If we're going by who emerged most clearly as a prospect, easily Corcino. But on a pure statistical basis, I'm giving this one to Smith.

I think a reliever has to really stand out to rank ahead of starters in this kind of thing. And I think Hayes and Boxberger did that. In a close call, I'd go with Drew Hayes.

Renken needs more love. He gets my vote.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Everytime I saw Renken this year, he impressed me. I guess I'm spoiled by how many names on this list are from the Dragons.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Smith may be old for his level, but he gets my vote. He has been very impressive this year and I gotta go with the starter (Smith) over the reliever (Boxberger).

Boxberger, over Corcino

Smith
    Corcino
    Renken

Corcino is my pick. 2.21 BB/9, 10.09 K/9, 3.07 ERA.

Turn Off Ads?