Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweep St. Louis

Sweep St. Louis

In a season that is circling the bowl wouldn't it be nice to go into St. Louis and crush whatever little hope they have left? They swept the Brewers to cut the deficit to 7.5. Their playoff chances rose from "when hell freezes over" to merely "who are they trying to kid?". Let's send Tony LaRussa on his way to his yearly all-winter drinkathon. My head says the Reds are going to take one. My heart says they are gonna smack St. Louis with a big red broom. Not sure what the spray charts say. Bottoms up, Tony.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-01-2011 at 10:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Re: Sweep St. Louis

I'll take a sweep. I'd prefer a sweep with a double no-hitter thrown in, and a cycle in each game by a Reds player (or coach/mascot).

If Tony LaRussa is somehow tossed for the entire series while bringing out the lineup card for game one, Nirvana will be achieved. It may be the only reasonable chance for peace in our lifetime.

Game One - Cueto vs. Carpenter
    Game Two - Bailey vs. Garcia
    Game Three - Arroyo vs. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Game one will at least be interesting, I will hold all other comments about Carp and the cards
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

If the Brewers lose out then the Reds only have to go 14-11 to force a one-game playoff.
    Could happen.
    If the Reds go 24-1 they will match their record from 2010.
    Could happen.

The reds could actually go 26 and neg one

Is really winning the most important thing at this point? Shouldn't the Reds being playing the young kids here on out and evaluate their ability and "if" they win then okay?

exactly right

I for one would love to see Edgar Renteria play short and even bat second
    I also would like the young guy Stubbs to lead off and see if he can break a few strikeout records

Then I wouldl ike to see if Arroyo can give up a few more homers

Then I would like to see if Lewis can be recalled and get a few more starts

Finally it is important to play Janish a little because he has a chance to bat .190

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Is really winning the most important thing at this point? Shouldn't the Reds being playing the young kids here on out and evaluate their ability and "if" they win then okay?
    Yes play the kids. I just posted those numbers on the off-chance that Dusty would log on and read them and realize that running Cairo, Lewis, Renteria ad nauseum (and I know I throw up a little in my mouth when Dusty writes their names on the lineup card) is pretty much a waste of time.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.

I have a theory on why Janish is hitting so poorly this year. Janish and Dunn are both from the Houston area and were best friends on the team. And way back in the minors I believe that they made a double pinky promise that if something crazy ever happened and one of them started hitting under .200 that the other one would hit under .200 too. Double pinky promises are pretty serious stuff down here in Texas. It's just a theory.

did bailey also promise to give at least one or two home runs per game since he is from texas

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    did bailey also promise to give at least one or two home runs per game since he is from texas
    Yep.

And Stubbs is from Texas too. With his speed and him getting so many infield hits, unless he ran backwards, he can't hit under .200. So he promised to whiff as many times as possible so The Big Donkey didn't feel so all alone.

that was a huge, even epic observation

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    A sweep would be awesome, taking two out of three almost as miraculous.

With these matchups, though, the Reds pitchers have to be damn near perfect since Carpenter, Garcia and even Jackson could be off their games and still end up with the win.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Turn Off Ads?