Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2011 Thread

Re: UK Football 2011 Thread

Fire the Joke and Hire Leach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think my signature sums it up. I've decided that if Kentucky doesn't fire Joker after this season, I am switching my allegiance in football to WVU. That's how fed up I am with the administration.

The basketball program is self-sustaining and can take care of itself. The football program is in major need of a facelift and something needs to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

This quote by Spurrier caught my attention :
    "We could have picked up 70 or 80 points today," Spurrier said smiling. "But 50 was enough."
    and
    ""Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that," he said.

While SS was probably making a backhand slap on KY, he was telling it right. Our punter is the best but he should be as much practice as he gets.
    I have noticed many of the UK writers in the media and on the net are reallly beginning to call for some changes. I have nothing against Joker but maybe his thing was recruiting and this is too much. While I have my doubts Mitch will do anything after only two years, if the attendance drops the rest of the way, you never know.

A few more stats and comments btw:

Congratulations to Florida Atlantic are in order. With their 324 total yards against Louisiana-Lafayette yesterday, they overtook us for average yards per game - 230 to 229. Now the only thing separating us from a dreaded last place in total offense is the Kent State Golden Flashes. Luckily, they’re only averaging 171 yards per game, so we’d have to suck even worse than we already have to let them catch us, but nothing would surprise me with this team.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an offense this bad in my entire life. I know a lot of you are clamoring for Mike Leach to replace Joker as the head coach, but if we’re not willing to pay him what he wants, there are tons of high school coaches around who know how to put lots of points on the board. At this point, I’ve come to terms with the fact that we’re going to lose, just make it exciting.

If you want to be really depressed, let’s play with the offensive numbers. UK has 714 passing yards on the season and 660 rushing yards. Those totals are good for 8th worst and 33rd worst in the country, respectively. In addition, at 13 points per game, UK ranks 3rd worst in scoring. To put that in perspective, Bill Curry’s 1994 team that went 1-10 scored 13.5 points per game. Kentucky does have 13.5 first downs per game, 4th worst, and a 3rd down conversion rate of 25.3%, 6th worst.

There are three receivers in the country who have more receiving yards than UK’s 714 pass yards - Jordan White from Western Michigan, A.J. Jenkins from Illinois, and Robert Woods from USC. There are seven running backs with more than 660 rush yards - Ray Graham from Pitt, LaMichael James from Oregon, Marcus Lattimore from South Carolina, Trent Richardson from Alabama, David Willson from Virginia Tech, Bernard Pierce from Temple and Lamar Miller from Miami. Denard Robinson also has 686 rushing yards.

I don’t care what’s done. Bring in BTI’s Triple Option. Bring in Mike Leach’s aerial assault. Just fix the offense. It’s embarrassing.

This made me LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Fire the Joke and Hire Leach.
    Arizona just fired Mike Stoops. My bet is that Leach ends up there.
    Firday is Midnight Madness so football is officially over in Kentucky.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Arizona just fired Mike Stoops. My bet is that Leach ends up there.
    Firday is Midnight Madness so football is officially over in Kentucky.
    From what I've read, Chris Peterson and Dan Mullen would be on the short list. Both can do better though, especially when you consider Arizona is just like Kentucky in terms of following (basketball first). Mullen is interesting because Arizona's AD Greg Byrne hired Mullen at Mississippi State.

My pick is Rich Rodriguez. Either way, I agree with something I read on KSR a couple nights ago. UK needs to take a "Moneyball" approach to winning in the SEC and do something outside of SEC smashmouth football to be able to have a fighting chance. If you think about it, we're the Oakland A's.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    From what I've read, Chris Peterson and Dan Mullen would be on the short list. Both can do better though, especially when you consider Arizona is just like Kentucky in terms of following (basketball first). Mullen is interesting because Arizona's AD Greg Byrne hired Mullen at Mississippi State.

My pick is Rich Rodriguez. Either way, I agree with something I read on KSR a couple nights ago. UK needs to take a "Moneyball" approach to winning in the SEC and do something outside of SEC smashmouth football to be able to have a fighting chance. If you think about it, we're the Oakland A's.
    Rich Rod would be a good choice for UK. He was in over his head at Michigan just as BG was at UK with the basketball program. He would probably do well at UK since there isn't much expectations. They do need someone who would think outside of the box.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

You're never going to have the athletes to line-up and play smash mouth football versus teams like Bama, Florida, Georgia etc. etc. on a consistent basis.

IMO a "gimmick" offense is the only way to have real success (Beyond 6-7 wins) @ UK.

And things just keep....getting....worse.

Josh Clemons out for the rest of the season with a torn meniscus. Until Raymond Sanders comes back, its Coshik Williams and Jonathan George in the backfield.

What little bit of offense we had is now gone. I think we'll easily catch Kent State for last in FBS in total offense.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Rich Rod would be a good choice for UK. He was in over his head at Michigan just as BG was at UK with the basketball program. He would probably do well at UK since there isn't much expectations. They do need someone who would think outside of the box.
    On the flip side though, Rodriguez was the guy who was supposed to "change the way the Big Ten played". Ohio State had problems in the past with this style of offense and with the innovator of it being at the archrival was supposed to turn the tide.

I don't know that it would work in the SEC, but anything UK does to compete unless they dump a ton of money into the football program is gonna have to be a gamble or gimmick offense. Mike Leach (Air Raid), Rich Rodriguez (Spread Option), Gus Malzahn (Wildcat), or Paul Johnson (Triple Option) are the ideal candidates.

Go Jacksonville State! I'm done with Joker.

part of BBN

One local station today was giving over/under on attendance at the JS game. They placed the number at 38,000.
    I feel UK will draw probably around 50,000 to the game but bad attendance may force a move more than the won/loss record.

part of BBN

Some interesting tweets coming out since the SC debacle from former UK players.

Zipp Duncan :

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
    At some point you gotta hold everyone accountable.....even if you handpicked him as the starter, and told his competition to transfer
    8 Oct Favorite Retweet Reply

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
    @
    @Calipartytime I believe it starts with the HC, attitude/play reflect leadership. Not seeing the tough, fundamental football Brooks coached
    8 Oct

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
    At some point you gotta hold everyone accountable.....even if you handpicked him as the starter, and told his competition to transfer
    8 Oct Favorite Retweet Reply

Sam Maxwell :

"Idk what to say about that game but I still bleed blue Rich Brooks Blue".

I really found the quote about asking/telling Mossakowski to transfer interesting. I dont know , only showing what was tweeted.

That was the rumor this summer.

Massakowski was never going to get a fair shake at Kentucky. Joker decided on his QB early in the process and never wavered. And, while loyalty is a good thing, it's not what should determine a starting SEC QB.

The Joke has gotten ye ole' vote of confidence from the AD.

http://www.lex18.com/news/joker-will...k-next-season/
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?