Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: UK Football 2011 Thread

part of BBN

Re: UK Football 2011 Thread

Joker said the other day...he would like to run 80 offensive plays a game with 45 of them being passes. I really like what I seen of Smith last season. Dont know if that means a redshirt for Towles or not.
    Regardless...I see 3 wins and it wouldnt surprise me if they lose one of those 3 non conference "win" games either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Now THIS surprises me.

I'll admit I dislike Louisville as much as any UK fan, but this isn't basketball we are talking about.

I know Strong wasn't happy about the press coverage of Louisville's spring practices, but what makes you think its going to be any better in Lexington with John Calipari as the head coach? Louisville also has a newer stadium and better practice facilities, which is something Rich Brooks constantly complained about his entire time in Lexington.

If Strong wins the Big East this year and he will have a very good shot at it, he will be in the mix for a better job than Kentucky.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. Malzahn makes the most sense, as he has coached in the SEC, but is more likely to take over at Arkansas if the wheels fall off this season.
    Remember, this is Kentucky's wish list, not Strong's.

Were I Barnhart and settled on Strong, I'd argue the following:

1. Here's a boatload of cash. We'll make you the highest paid minority coach in America and one of the top 20.
    2. You'll be able to win in short order. UT is in complete disarray. Georgia and Florida have become on-again, off-again mid-tier programs, South Carolina is a shot in the dark, and Vandy is Vandy.
    3. If you don't win in short order, we have patience. Lots and lots of patience. Take your time.
    4. Seven wins a year would thrill our fan base. More than that will put them over the moon. An SEC East Championship would probably kill both of them.
    5. Just kidding about that-- UK fans follow their team to bowl games and are remarkably loyal. Just look at how horrid the team has been in the past and how much the place gets packed. Now imagine a good team!
    6. Have I mentioned the cash? And the security?
    7. The facilities are both going to get better and a built-in excuse for your first couple of seasons. If you win, the money will come.
    8. Kentucky is in the SEC-- if you win here, you'll be a coaching star. Louisville is in the Big East. If you win there, Syracuse fans might know your name. After a few years.
    9. Speaking of big time, the media coverage is no contest. You'll be huge in Lexington. And you'll get major pub in all those Southern states wherein you recruit. Which means better players. Which means more wins. Which means more media coverage.
    10. Have I mentioned the money? There's a LOT of it.

Now, Kentucky may go smaller and more conservative. Stick with big-name coordinators. Maybe go get an older coach with a little left to prove. But Strong would send a message that the Cats would be serious about football for the first time since Bryant left town in a borrowed Cadillac.

[QUOTE=Scrap Irony;2575451]Remember, this is Kentucky's wish list, not Strong's.

Were I Barnhart and settled on Strong, I'd argue the following:

1. Here's a boatload of cash. We'll make you the highest paid minority coach in America and one of the top 20.
    This doesn't reflect my opinion, but I do have family in Kentucky and the mentality hasn't changed since Tubby Smith left. I also don't see UK ponying up the money and if they do, there are other improvements that need made to the football program before paying for a new coach.

2. You'll be able to win in short order. UT is in complete disarray. Georgia and Florida have become on-again, off-again mid-tier programs, South Carolina is a shot in the dark, and Vandy is Vandy.
    Vandy had some success last year under James Franklin. Pick one of Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia and sit back and watch them get blown out in the SEC Championship by Alabama, LSU, or the SEC West team of your choice.

Not to mention overall talent level. Georgia and Florida both suffer from coaching, but the talent in both states puts Kentucky to shame. If either of them start clicking, thats all it takes.

3. If you don't win in short order, we have patience. Lots and lots of patience. Take your time.
    Translation: We don't care about football. Just get us to a bowl game and don't get your feelings hurt when the newsmedia covers John Calipari shaking hands and kissing babies over spring football practice.

4. Seven wins a year would thrill our fan base. More than that will put them over the moon. An SEC East Championship would probably kill both of them

Note how hard it is to achieve seven wins. Think back to Moneyball where Billy Beane is telling Scott Hatteberg how its not hard to play first base and Ron Washington tells him "It's very hard".

5. Just kidding about that-- UK fans follow their team to bowl games and are remarkably loyal. Just look at how horrid the team has been in the past and how much the place gets packed. Now imagine a good team!
    4,500 to a spring practice isn't exactly loyal and this past season was absolutely horrid. As long as the players don't embarrass themselves and the university (and the basketball team isn't playing), UK fans will show up. The moral of the story is that outside of basketball, UK fans are fair weather. If you win and keep us interested, we'll show up and support you. This applies to Womens Hoops and baseball as well, where UK is now no 1 in the nation.

6. Have I mentioned the cash? And the security?
    The security comes with accepting the fact that football is second fiddle in the Bluegrass, even if you take us to a BCS game. Cash is nice, but it needs to be spent elsewhere, namely new locker rooms for the players, a new training facility, and upgrades to Commonwealth Stadium.

7. The facilities are both going to get better and a built-in excuse for your first couple of seasons. If you win, the money will come.
    As long as its funneled back into the football program....

8. Kentucky is in the SEC-- if you win here, you'll be a coaching star. Louisville is in the Big East. If you win there, Syracuse fans might know your name. After a few years.
    No debate on SEC vs Big East in football, but Kentucky vs other SEC schools with openings is very much debatable. Tennessee will be open after this season with the recent GPA releases (1.9) and Dooley's underachievement. John L. Smith is a one year stopgap and Louisville might as well be a AAA team for Arkansas coaches now. Not to mention Strong is from Arkansas. I see Strong as a candidate for both schools before Kentucky and those schools will put football first.

Louisville is also trying to get into the Big 12 as well, although I doubt they will receive any help from its former bretheren in WVU thanks to Mitch McConnell.

9. Speaking of big time, the media coverage is no contest. You'll be huge in Lexington. And you'll get major pub in all those Southern states wherein you recruit. Which means better players. Which means more wins. Which means more media coverage.

The media coverage will be devoted to basketball, same as Louisville.

10. Have I mentioned the money? There's a LOT of it.
    Then why hasn't it been invested into the stadium?

KSR posted a video yesterday of a tour of the Oregon locker room. If you wonder why Rich Brooks said UK was seriously lacking in football facilities, that video is legitimate proof as to why.

Now, Kentucky may go smaller and more conservative. Stick with big-name coordinators. Maybe go get an older coach with a little left to prove. But Strong would send a message that the Cats would be serious about football for the first time since Bryant left town in a borrowed Cadillac.
    To fans in Lexington, possibly. The problem is with rural fans who will look past nothing but skin color. Not to mention that Strong's calling card is defense, which wins championships, but doesn't put fans in the seats. With his own demons in the Bluegrass State, I see Tennessee or Arkansas being more likely options than Lexington.

I would equate this stage in UK history to the Bill Curry era. We have a top QB prospect within our own state coming in next season, a head coach who is likely on the way out, and whoever does come in next season needs to do something to generate fan interest with basketball riding high. Curry was here during Pitino, whoever gets it will be here in the golden years of Calipari.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What can you guys tell me about the Seahawk's draft pick, Winston Guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What can you guys tell me about the Seahawk's draft pick, Winston Guy?
    Undersized...warrior...look up his SEC stats. He will make the team and you will be plesently surprised. Seahawks have a winner.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Joker said the other day...he would like to run 80 offensive plays a game with 45 of them being passes. I really like what I seen of Smith last season. Dont know if that means a redshirt for Towles or not.
    Regardless...I see 3 wins and it wouldnt surprise me if they lose one of those 3 non conference "win" games either.
    80 offensive plays??? Seriously? Don't you have to gain 1st downs every now and then to have 80 offensive plays in a game?

I'm a UK fan and the clock is officially ticking on Joker...MAJOR disappointment. This seaon is 3-9
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    80 offensive plays??? Seriously? Don't you have to gain 1st downs every now and then to have 80 offensive plays in a game?

I'm a UK fan and the clock is officially ticking on Joker...MAJOR disappointment. This seaon is 3-9
    80 offensive plays would be fairly fun to watch. Certainly would open up the offense, as many UK fans are clamoring for.

I'm betting it doesn't happen.

Turn Off Ads?