Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2011 Thread

Re: UK Football 2011 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Fire Joker, hire Leach. He would get us relevant in the SEC.
    I'll throw another name out, Rich Rodriguez.

Like Leach, has his own brand of exciting offense with the spread option. He was in over his head at Michigan and while he would be in the SEC, the expectations are a lot lower at Kentucky compared to Michigan, and even West Virginia.

I think Leach would be more likely, but I'd take Rodriguez as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Okay, who is going to play less mediocre football tomorrow, the Cats or the Cards?

part of BBN

I dont know if UK can score enough as I figure U of L will score in the low 20's. Thats asking alot out of this year's UK team. Unless Morgan turns into Cam, I sense alot of blowouts starting after this week.

Heard on the radio this afternoon that 4,000 tickets were still available for tomorrow's game.

That pretty much sums up the true level of suckitude that is expected to take the field at Commonwealth.

Go Gators!

Fire Joker Phillips.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This team looks beyond pathetic.

It appears that any improvements made under Rich Brooks have been completely squandered.

This team looks beyond pathetic.

It appears that any improvements made under Rich Brooks have been completely squandered.
    Totally agree. If they win two more games this season it will be a miracle. The next three weeks will be bloodbaths against Florida,LSU and South Carolina.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The Hot Seat Bowl against Ole Miss (named by Pat Forde)

They play in Lexington on Nov. 5, and by then the Wildcats will be 3-5 and Rebels 2-6. Houston Nutt will be on borrowed time in his fourth year, and Kentucky fans have jumped ship on Joker Phillips in a remarkable hurry. (There were empty seats for normal lock sellouts against archrival Louisville and unbeaten Florida.) Phillips has only had 17 games as head coach, winning eight. Most Wildcats fans don't seem to recall that predecessor Rich Brooks was 5-12 at the same point in his UK career, on his way to three straight losing seasons before pushing the program to respectability.
    Note to Pat Forde,

1. Rich Brooks had a successful history BEFORE coming to Kentucky.

2. Joker Phillips was handed a program that was heading in the right direction and has managed to turn it into a shipwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

1. Rich Brooks had a successful history BEFORE coming to Kentucky.

2. Joker Phillips was handed a program that was heading in the right direction and has managed to turn it into a shipwreck.
    2 Thoughts.

1. Rich Brooks was 91-109-4 as a head coach before coming to UK.

2. If the program was "headed in the right direction" why are the Junior and Senior classes at UK so devoid of talent?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Who was the head recruiter for those Junior and Senior classes?

The whole notion behind the "Coach in Waiting" deal was to have continuity within the program... Instead things appear to be moving backwards.

The whole notion behind the "Coach in Waiting" deal was to have continuity within the program... Instead things appear to be moving backwards.
    Exactly. The program was at the very least was to continue as they were. Which was reasonably competitve. But now UK has regressed back to the Bill Curry days when 40 and 50 point beatings were a regular thing. Joker should not get much rope to keep his job. If this season continues like it has been so far he should be let go at the end of 2011.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    2 Thoughts.

1. Rich Brooks was 91-109-4 as a head coach before coming to UK.

2. If the program was "headed in the right direction" why are the Junior and Senior classes at UK so devoid of talent?
    WMR and cumberland summed up no 2, but Rich Brooks inherited a team not much better than the Kentucky team he took over, long before the days of Phil Knight. Oregon State was actually the superior school at the time and Brooks was able to turn it around, handing it off to Mike Belotti.

For the record, I've said I'd be happy with Mike Leach coming to Kentucky (was offensive coordinator under Hal Mumme before leaving for Oklahoma). Another coach I would throw into the ring is Rich Rodriguez:

1. Exciting style of offense that would attract recruits, plus one that I think would win in the SEC.

2. Was in over his head at Michigan. The expectations would be a lot less at Kentucky and I think Rodriguez would be happy working in the shadow of Calipari.

3. Not too far away from any family he hasn't alienated in West Virginia.

If that doesn't work, then Gus Malzahn.

He became recruiting coordinator in 2002 when he was hired.

I'm not saying UK fans should be happy with 3-9, 4-8 or whatever they might end up this year. I'm not even saying they should be happy with consistent 6-6, especially not given their propensity for scheduling gimme non-conference games. I just don't think 2 years of Joker Phillips shows much of anything except for a couple very weak recruiting classes in a row.

Now if he was recruiting coordinator from 2002 on, I doubt he's forgotten how to recruit.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    He became recruiting coordinator in 2002 when he was hired.

I'm not saying UK fans should be happy with 3-9, 4-8 or whatever they might end up this year. I'm not even saying they should be happy with consistent 6-6, especially not given their propensity for scheduling gimme non-conference games. I just don't think 2 years of Joker Phillips shows much of anything except for a couple very weak recruiting classes in a row.

Now if he was recruiting coordinator from 2002 on, I doubt he's forgotten how to recruit.
    My feelings right now is to wait and see how the recruiting class shapes up. UK has some pretty decent verbals so far but this season could change some of that. If a Patrick Towles decides to look elsewhere, I would really be concerned.

Turn Off Ads?