Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question for the statheads

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Question for the statheads

Does MLB keep track of strikeouts looking?

I'd like to know if we're witnessing history each time Stubbs Ks looking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question for the statheads

Go to www.baseball-reference.com. If you can't find it there the stat doesn't exist. It doesn't give absolute numbers for strikeouts looking. It does give percentage of though.

The NL average is 24%. Or roughly one out of ever four Ks. is looking. The AL average is 25%. Odd. I thought the AL would be lower due to no pitchers hitting. In any case Drew Stubbs is second high on the Reds at 31%. Ryan Hanigan actually looks at more third strikes percentagewise with 34%.
    Others:
    Bruce 22%
    Janish 20%
    Rolen 19%
    Votto 19%
    Phillips 12%
    Hernandez 11%

The Reds, as a team, are at 25%, a tick above average.

Sacrifice bunts are interesting. The Reds are successful 74% of the time. Stubbs, in the last two seasons, has been successful on just 6 of 16 sac bunt attempts. 37.5%. About half the rate of the team. Pitiful.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Thanks, texasdave.

Sometimes it seems as if Stubbs has no idea of the strikezone. I'm hoping he figures this out in the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post
    Sometimes it seems as if Stubbs has no idea of the strikezone. I'm hoping he figures this out in the next year or so.
    Every time I watch him on FSN he looks confused at the plate. Every single strike call or ball call. He has no idea what the call is going to be until the ump makes it. Then when I watch Votto, he takes his pitch and calmly backs away as if he knew what was going down.

Turn Off Ads?