Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Is Pittsburgh season done or are they headed to a Bowl? I assume they're done

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is Pittsburgh season done or are they headed to a Bowl? I assume they're done
    They're playing in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham vs. SMU.

Which is all the proof that you need that there are way too many bowl games.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

Pshaw. There's no such thing as too much football. Especially on the eve of the long, dark, no-college-football virtual winter.

(No, I'm not going to watch Pitt-SMU either, but other people might, and that's cool.)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

If that's the case then he must still have contact with his players. That makes this text all the more lame

YOU'RE WELCOME, BIG EAST. Now we're done keeping you relevant.

Sincerely,

WVU

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Sincerely,

WVU
    If you were the only team keeping us relevant you would have won the conference more. First BCS game as a Big East winner since what, 07?

You guys do play well when you get there, and that was a nice win tonight. We'll be fine without ya, good luck in the Big 12

Sincerely,

WVU
    What is WV planning to do in its next two seasons in the Big East then?

Sincerely,

WVU
    Appreciate the concern, but they'll be just fine without you. I think Boise State's two BCS wins will be more than enough. Not to mention Houston made a nice showing this year by throttling a B1G team.

Two big questions remain though:

1. How will WVU football stay relevant in the Big 12? I sure hope taking Missouri's place with an annual trip to the Independence Bowl cuts it.

2. How is the Big East going to replace the class and dignity WVU fans bring to the table?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    If you were the only team keeping us relevant you would have won the conference more. First BCS game as a Big East winner since what, 07?

You guys do play well when you get there, and that was a nice win tonight. We'll be fine without ya, good luck in the Big 12
    WVU has won the Big East and won a BCS bowl in 3 of the last 4 seasons where Bill Stewart was not the head coach. One man is responsible for the three year lull WVU experienced, and it's painfully obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    What is WV planning to do in its next two seasons in the Big East then?
    WVU will be in the Big 12 next year, and the Big East can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Appreciate the concern, but they'll be just fine without you. I think Boise State's two BCS wins will be more than enough. Not to mention Houston made a nice showing this year by throttling a B1G team.

1. How will WVU football stay relevant in the Big 12? I sure hope taking Missouri's place with an annual trip to the Independence Bowl cuts it.

2. How is the Big East going to replace the class and dignity WVU fans bring to the table?
    WVU will be just fine in the Big 12, as long as Holgorsen is around.

And I think San Diego states rabid fanbase will more than make up for the WVU fanbase leaving the conference .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post

Outside of the Big East becoming the Big East of the Pacific Ocean, WVU to the Big 12 is probably the worst move out of all the conference moves. The revenue concerns are understandable, but travel is going to be a nightmare. Football won't be so bad, but basketball and especially non-revenue sports are going to have it rough.

WVU has one advantage going in, and that is Dana Holgorsen. Holgs already knows Texas and has started a pipeline of recruiting in that area. That being said, WVU won't get the best recruits there and will likely settle for 3-4 star recruits. Any top recruit will likely come from West Virginia (Josh Jenkins is the only five star recruit churned out of the state lately), Ohio (assuming they don't commit to tOSU), Maryland, Pennsylvania, or any bordering states.

The question is how long can WVU keep Holgorsen around? As mentioned in the other thread, I don't know the answer to that, but with Holgs having ties to Texas it will make it interesting. WVU isn't going to get the best recruits in Texas and Oklahoma due to state school competition and trying to sell them on playing in the mountains. If one of those jobs opened up, offered more money than what WVU could match, and offered him the opportunity to win a lot easier than at WVU, I think he would listen.

Make no mistake, Holgorsen's value just went up after last nights win.
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

And I think San Diego states rabid fanbase will more than make up for the WVU fanbase leaving the conference .
    Jabs aside, I've never had a problem with WVU's fanbase. My experiences at games have been positive. It was a great win last night for both WVU and the Big East. Maybe now, the focus turns to the real BCS pretender - the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Outside of the Big East becoming the Big East of the Pacific Ocean, WVU to the Big 12 is probably the worst move out of all the conference moves. The revenue concerns are understandable, but travel is going to be a nightmare. Football won't be so bad, but basketball and especially non-revenue sports are going to have it rough.
    At least the Big East picked up several teams to make a "western" division. As it stands, WVU is on an island, which speaks to your travel concerns.

I'm sure WVU fans are also (or should be) concerned about the future stability of the B12. Personally, I don't think we've seen the end of the rumored Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State departure from last fall. If that eventually happens, you've got an incredibly thin B12 with no one left to poach. Unless they can fix the Longhorn Network revenue issues, I'd be worried about long term viability.

Of course, who can blame WVU for leaving? Sometimes it makes sense to ditch a ship that's 3/4 submerged for another one that's just sprung a big leak.

UL fans desperately want to join the B12. I still think the B12 is a better, more stable league to be in than Big East.

WVU has won the Big East and won a BCS bowl in 3 of the last 4 seasons where Bill Stewart was not the head coach. One man is responsible for the three year lull WVU experienced, and it's painfully obvious.
    Fair enough, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you don't really have any room to say you were the only one keeping us relevant when yesterday was the first BCS game since the 07 season. And you haven't even won the Big East outright since I don't remember when.

Cincinnati has won the conference 3 outta the last 4 years, and two of those were outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Fair enough, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you don't really have any room to say you were the only one keeping us relevant when yesterday was the first BCS game since the 07 season. And you haven't even won the Big East outright since I don't remember when.

Cincinnati has won the conference 3 outta the last 4 years, and two of those were outright.
    Outright titles don't mean squat! All that matters is winning your BCS Bowl, in that aspect we are 3-0, Cincy is 0-2. And no cheap shot to Cincy, that is 1 of 3 Big East teams (USF and Rutgers being the others) that I have the upmost respect for and I hate to see left behind. Hopefully the Big 12 will do another raid and pluck Cincy and USF from the Big East.

Cincy is a good natural rivalry for both teams that can easily travel to the road games, and USF is great for recruiting purposes.

Efh Loserville, I hope that revert back to CUSA.

Turn Off Ads?