Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Football

Re: Big East Football

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    In other news, the Big East needs a map.
    And the Big 10 needs to take its' socks off.

The Big 12 could use some 1st grade subtraction lessons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see your point but I might add that Boise St is a better football school than anyone in conf usa. That has to help their chances of keeping their bid. You are correct, that bid is huge
    Boise St. is probably the best football team the Big East has had since Miami left a handful of years ago. Had they gotten Boise and TCU I think the automatic bid stood a better chance. I think the sole reason that the Big East rest their hopes on an automatic bid is the threat of a law suit.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Boise St. is probably the best football team the Big East has had since Miami left a handful of years ago. Had they gotten Boise and TCU I think the automatic bid stood a better chance. I think the sole reason that the Big East rest their hopes on an automatic bid is the threat of a law suit.
    I think their automatic bid is safe and if that's the case then the Big East did the right thing (and so did UC). I agree with this article:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/big-ea...se-bcs-bid.php

If nothing else, sheer numbers will keep the Big East in the picture for football. The issue is what have they done to the other sports in order to save their football BCS future? It's convoluted to say the least

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

There probably will be no such thing as an AQ after 2014. There is talk of several forms of a "plus-one" system. The two most likely are as follows: 1. Return to the old bowl system and after the bowls are played have #1 v #2 for the national championship (This is what the B1G and the Pac 12 want). 2. Have a four team playoff with #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 in two of the BCS bowls with the national championship to follow.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yuck at the old bowl system.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Jokes about the geographic accuracy of the conference name aside, I'm actually pretty excited about the new look Big East. I think Boise State is a more than capable football replacement for West Virginia. I also think that the trio of SMU, UCF and Houston more than replace what Pitt and Syracuse brought to the table in football. While I would have preferred BYU over SDSU, if that's what it took to get Boise State, I'm all in.

The unfortunate part of this all is that if the Big East would have made moves like this quickly, they could have had their pick of these teams and also kept WV and TCU. They should have pounced when the B12 was teetering. There's really no excuse for the ineptitude, but at least they've managed to salvage something in the end.
    I normally don't defend WVU, but I will in this instance.

Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore. If Boise slacks off or Chris Peterson decides to seek greener pastures, then Boise (and the Big East's AQ bid) is going to be in a world of hurt.

If Dana Holgorsen resigned on Monday, NCAA sanctions notwithstanding, WVU could attract someone to coach and not miss a beat. I don't think the same could be said for Boise.

As for the other schools, UCF is facing recruiting violations in both football and basketball. Houston could be looking at losing Kevin Sumlin to a bigger job (likely A&M). SMU's history has been pretty well documented, but it will be interesting to see if June Jones is still coaching there very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I normally don't defend WVU, but I will in this instance.

Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore. If Boise slacks off or Chris Peterson decides to seek greener pastures, then Boise (and the Big East's AQ bid) is going to be in a world of hurt.

If Dana Holgorsen resigned on Monday, NCAA sanctions notwithstanding, WVU could attract someone to coach and not miss a beat. I don't think the same could be said for Boise.

As for the other schools, UCF is facing recruiting violations in both football and basketball. Houston could be looking at losing Kevin Sumlin to a bigger job (likely A&M). SMU's history has been pretty well documented, but it will be interesting to see if June Jones is still coaching there very long.
    June Jones has been offered the Arizona State job. Plus the Big East won't let Boise accept partial qualifiers. Marinatto is a meaball late... as always.
    Last edited by Slyder; 12-10-2011 at 01:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

ASU pulled their offer on Jones, apparently the boosters didn't like him.
    Go Gators!

Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore.
    Kellen Moore was not the QB when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. And Boise is 151-27 under three separate coaches starting in 1998. Boise's not exactly a flash in the pan.

As for the other schools, all they're being asked to do is replace Syracuse and Pitt. Not exactly a huge task in football.

Congratulations to 2nd Team All-American Derek Wolfe.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Kellen Moore was not the QB when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. And Boise is 151-27 under three separate coaches starting in 1998. Boise's not exactly a flash in the pan.
    I'd add that they only made the jump to division 1 in 1996.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Pitt has lost its entire coaching staff to Arizona schools. A bunch of assistants went with Rich Rod and Todd Graham was just named to be Head Coach at Arizona State!

Graham must have not liked being the 3rd choice last year so he took the first opportunity where he was the 2nd choice (June Jones).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sounds Petrinoesque.

Lets see if Pitt can get who they want this time and actually manage to keep him. I remember last year when they hired Graham and people were asking if Pitt could get a third crack at it after the Miami OH guy was fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?